Thread: P4K Bolex Style Shooting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For my original BMPCC I got this little Polaroid rig:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Vi...s=polaroid+rig

and use it with a Zacuto loupe - works really well, pretty light weight and very comfortable to use - haven't taken it travelling yet, but will fit into a smallish camera bag easy

p.s - you get what you pay for and the rod clamps are quite loose - replaced with some nice Smallrig ones and whole rig still came out at around £65 (minus the Zacuto, which I already had)

also strong enough to work with P4K - and I intend to get the GRID loupe too complete the rig for that

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I'm making a 3D-printed loupe for my p4k, may be able to sell some once the design is finished if anybody's interested. I use a 75mm 7.5 diopters non-coated optical glass, it makes the screen look HUGE and cover all my vision, I love it. The biggest trouble I'm having is cutting a big-enough hole on the lower and right side of the screen for touch operation while keeping the loupe structurally sound and the image not too spoiled by stray light.

Then I'll put the camera on my cheap MagicRig, holding the handle with my left hand and the camera grip, focus and controls with my right hand.
    Interesting Samuel!
    What about using glasses? Could it use diopters for presbyopia? (presbicia, vamos)

Echaré un ojo para seguir los adelantos, a ver qué tal

I don't use glasses, I'm far from an expert in the kinds of lenses available
    I just used a 7.5-diopters lens I had around from a previous project (my DIY LED fresnel lights, which don't use fresnel lenses but optical-grade lenses)

I just used a 7.5-diopters lens I had around from a previous project (my DIY LED fresnel lights, which don't use fresnel lenses but optical-grade lenses)
    No Samuel; I was thinking about your design.
    For example, for the original bmpcc I use the Kinotehnik LCDVFBM LCD Viewfinder which features 37mm threading to attach diopter correction lenses
    http://shop.kinotehnik.com/product/lcdvf-bm
    But I don't know how your design is, surely it's very different.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    Is it one of these?
    https://edelkrone.com/products/pocketrig-2

That could go a long way to creating a Bolex style rig, even with a loupe added.
    Yes, but the Ver 1 unit, so a little lighter and compact than the Ver2

My concern is always fogging up the lenses. The zacuto has all ways been good about that but the cheaper ones not so much. I remember the first one I git was the kamarar which was awful.

Anyway you could design a hinge? So you could just flip the screen up? Connect it to a base plate so we wouldn’t have to worry about it falling off all the time too?

Quote Originally Posted by cristo View Post
    For my original BMPCC I got this little Polaroid rig:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Vi...s=polaroid+rig

and use it with a Zacuto loupe - works really well, pretty light weight and very comfortable to use - haven't taken it travelling yet, but will fit into a smallish camera bag easy

p.s - you get what you pay for and the rod clamps are quite loose - replaced with some nice Smallrig ones and whole rig still came out at around £65 (minus the Zacuto, which I already had)

also strong enough to work with P4K - and I intend to get the GRID loupe too complete the rig for that
    I agree with this. I bought the same stabilizer system and it had adapted to all my small cameras very well. It’s really extremely useful, especially if you’re willing to put a little bit of work into it to customize the design a bit. One of the few rigging systems that I’ve thought was definitely worth its money. I don’t know why it has 3 stars on Amazon. Maybe a bunch of kids were frustrated it was an electronic gimbal and threw it against the wall. Idk. It’s been a really adaptable option for me, and it helps hold longer lenses amazingly steady.

I finished the first working version of my 3D-printed p4k loupe. I can use the touchscreen but it's not as confortable as I would like, and it keeps sunlight out but not in all cases: it's a compromise. But for my needs I think this works. I'll put it on my magicrig (which is the same cheap one-handle-and-chest rig that was posted earlier in this thread) and hopefully this will allow me to have a great view of the screen (it does look awesome through this lens) while providing a third point of contact that stabilizes the image a bit more. No idea how bad it will be in terms of fogging.

It's going to be a couple of weeks before I use it in a real-world setting, though.

IMG_20181118_120457_2.jpg
    IMG_20181118_120519_2.jpg
    IMG_20181118_120611_2.jpg
    IMG_20181118_120635_2.jpg