Thread: P4K Bolex Style Shooting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 P4K Bolex Style Shooting 
    One thing I always loved most about the original Pocket was rigging it with a pistol grip and loupe. Focusing by hand, you would have this incredible lightweight, handheld, but stable shooting setup, which could fit literally anywhere.

Has anyone tried a similar setup with the Pocket4k? How is the balance with the larger, heavier body? Any loupes that you would recommend? Are long shooting hours that way feasible?

Of course, rigging a proper shoulder-style setup is always an option as well, with a follow focus etc. But this Bolex-Style shooting always felt so liberating and pure, so I would love to be able to do that with the new Pocket as well.

Looking for any and all advice, pictures, experiences etc - let me know!
    Last edited by Paul Jonathan; 11-05-2018 at 06:58 PM.

The 4k is twice as heavy as the original Pocket but it's still only about 1.5 lbs without a lens. Can't remember how heavy the original BMCC was but this definitely seems lighter.

Honestly, it feels a *little* cheap but maybe that's just because of the material and how light it is. Looking forward to getting a cage to add just a little more heft and balance it out.

I think the screen size would be a problem for loupe, but maybe a shoulder stock could work as an extra contact point rather than your eye. Would still be much smaller than a full counter balanced offset shoulder mount.

I haven't tried it, but...looks interesting.

https://www.gridaccessories.com/prod...-0-viewfinder/

Interesting idea with the shoulder stock @dop16mm! I came across a 5" loupe, made by GRID accessories, a few people used in on the BMCC way back apparently.

@TravisA with mount not going as far out as on the original pocket, is there enough space to put your hand comfortably around the lens for manual focusing? Especially with short still lenses, like the Nikon AIs for example.

With small lenses, dump the pistol grip, Palm the camera and focus with thumb and forefinger, the grip looks beefy enough for right hand stability. Some kind of chest rest, shoulder stock thing, might help. I always thought that fold up rig that edelchrone makes looks cool, but alas a tad pricey for me so can't recommend bested on experience.

I have one f those Edelkrone folding Pocket Rigs available, $100 plus shipping, it is new unit in an open box. PM me if interested.
    Cheers

I'm making a 3D-printed loupe for my p4k, may be able to sell some once the design is finished if anybody's interested. I use a 75mm 7.5 diopters non-coated optical glass, it makes the screen look HUGE and cover all my vision, I love it. The biggest trouble I'm having is cutting a big-enough hole on the lower and right side of the screen for touch operation while keeping the loupe structurally sound and the image not too spoiled by stray light.

Then I'll put the camera on my cheap MagicRig, holding the handle with my left hand and the camera grip, focus and controls with my right hand.

Samuel, that sounds interesting! Instead of doing a cutout for touch-screen operation (which will let in stray light) - may I suggest using a strong magnetic frame? For the original Pocket I had a loupe that was on a lanyard, so I could simply clip it off and leave it hanging around my neck and operate the camera from the screen.

An aside, since the forum search doesn't show up anything. Is the USB-C port on the camera up to spec? I.e. can you power external accessories up to 5v 2a from it? I know then you'll have to change batteries even more often, but in the interest of keeping it as small and light as possible, this might interesting for wireless video!

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    I have one f those Edelkrone folding Pocket Rigs available, $100 plus shipping, it is new unit in an open box. PM me if interested.
    Cheers
    Is it one of these?
    https://edelkrone.com/products/pocketrig-2

That could go a long way to creating a Bolex style rig, even with a loupe added.