Thread: URSA 4K vs BMPCC 4K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 URSA 4K vs BMPCC 4K 
    Given the delay in shipping of the BMPCC4k, and the fact that it has created a wave in the used Blackmagic market.

Would you purchase an URSA 4K right now at $3000 (Canadian) with a few accessories (vmount battery plate, SSD reader, top handle) OR....... wait for a new BMPCC 4K at $1800 (Canadian).

The global shutter on the URSA is intriguing, and you avoid the "franken-camera" rigging on the BMPCC 4K, which is a bit easier to set up. But the BMPCC 4K low light improvements are inticing.

And I do a mix of evry type of shooting.... talking head corporate, and run and gun.

Thoughts?

If you mean the 4k (and not 4.6k) version of the Ursa then I'd say wait for the BMPCC4k - the ISO of the 4k is really limited.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

www.Vimeo.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.facebook.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.twitter.com/RedCrownCompany

if you need it NOW, then buy what you can get, worrying about something impossible doesn't help. If time is not such a big concern, I'd say the image in the p4k is a lot better: the DR on the old 4k sensor was never great.

I’d say Pocket 4K between thise two. Just turning it on and pointing it at random things in the house you can immediately see the performance difference.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallbaker View Post
    If you mean the 4k (and not 4.6k) version of the Ursa then I'd say wait for the BMPCC4k - the ISO of the 4k is really limited.
    Yes, it is JUST the 4k, and not 4.6 Ursa Mini.

I see from all the advice that I'll just have to wait for the BMPCC4K. I am still using my two original BMPCC.... so I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

I do hope that the BMPCC4K drives the Ursa Mini Pro used market down - as I hope to buy one at some point.

My small production group still shoots with the big URSA 4K and the URSA Mini 4K. It's been a workhorse and the weigh and low light are not an issue for us. We use the big URSA on sticks or shoulder as needed and the URSA mini if we need it on a Steadicam. For tight spots, we shoot using the BMPCC. Since we deliver in 1080p, the URSA gives use enough resolution to work on for the bigger shots and the BMPCC are small shorts in tight spaces and in 1080p. All shooting RAW and RAW 3:1, and some pro-res projects. I am awaiting for the BMPCC 4K too but it is not a rush for me. We light for our scenes and we do it religiously because lighting makes good images so the low light is not an issue. The URSA is heavy so that's a consideration if you are not on sticks. Finally, the global shutter is awesome!

This was our most recent short production and will be out in December. Completely shot using the BM URSA 4K big and mini.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co9E0nVogQg

If global shutter is important then why not just buy a used Production 4K camera as a B cam to the P4K?
    The only thing the big Ursa 4k has over the Production 4K in terms of video capture is higher frame rates but if you shoose to watch in slow motion the benifit of GS is not so relevent here.

From someone who's shot w URSA 4k and recently sold my production camera, I'd say wait for the pocket.

Especially since BRAW is coming soon to the pocket, it makes it a no-brainer.

I love the global 4K sensor but the DR and lack of high frames rates got old. Thankfully I had my buddy (vic Harris) URSA Mini Pro available or else don't think I would have held on to the Production 4K that long.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbotics View Post
    Given the delay in shipping of the BMPCC4k, and the fact that it has created a wave in the used Blackmagic market.

Would you purchase an URSA 4K right now at $3000 (Canadian) with a few accessories (vmount battery plate, SSD reader, top handle) OR....... wait for a new BMPCC 4K at $1800 (Canadian).

The global shutter on the URSA is intriguing, and you avoid the "franken-camera" rigging on the BMPCC 4K, which is a bit easier to set up. But the BMPCC 4K low light improvements are inticing.

And I do a mix of evry type of shooting.... talking head corporate, and run and gun.

Thoughts?
    Just to clarify.... It's the choice of ursa mini pro 4k vs bmpcc 4k (I don't think anybody would EVER get the original ursa - it's just a giant beast!)

Quote Originally Posted by snowbotics View Post
    Just to clarify.... It's the choice of ursa mini pro 4k vs bmpcc 4k (I don't think anybody would EVER get the original ursa - it's just a giant beast!)
    Oh.

I'd say URSA Mini Pro for sure if budget isn't an issue. The DR is incredible and the internal NDs are really nice.