Thread: Pocket 4K - Battery Stuck Inside

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64
  1. #51  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisA View Post
    It will at least let me eliminate a variable. I'll do more tests after. I have Canon, Wasabi, and Kastar batteries.

    At one point, I had a battery loaded in, it read 20% life left, and then cut off a few seconds after. Booted back up, same thing, was able to shoot ~20 seconds before it just cut off again.
    Realistically, you have no reliable battery monitoring below 30%. It sucks, but that's the practical limitation you'll have to work with. You can be safe and swap at 30% or you can run longer on borrowed time, not having much of a clue if that will be 5 minutes or 20 minutes. Or you can move to an external solution.

    Luckily for the me, the vast majority of shooting I do is conducive to an external battery solution, but I feel for those that need a more compact, incognito rig.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #52  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I'd say it's less of giving them a pass and more of that there isn't another option.

    You just can't get this image anywhere else and it's all that most people are willing to purchase for themselves.

    Most would be willing to pay an increased cost to get the peace of mind a Canon camera brings but many people would instead buy a Canon camera even still if the prices were even.

    The only way to truely complain is to not buy a product but at 1300 USD, small form, lut capable, 4k 60p raw shooting and resolve studio it's a really tough call to skip out on.

    So yes we want better QA of course, we want cameras that won't bug out mid shoot, that run well off their included battery but most of all we want cameras that shoot an image close to an arri without the price tag which is a tough call that only black magic is offering atm.
    For me it really wasn't worth it.
    My short list had the C200, EVA1, and Ursa Mini Pro on it.
    That slightly nicer BM image just isn't worth it for me at this point.
    Canon is light years more reliable, has excellent focus, a camera half the size of an URSA Mini Pro, and it shoots RAW internally as well.
    A speed booster jammed at 1/4 turn on my BMPC. I sent the speed booster back. I had enough m4/3 glass to use with camera and not be bothered farting around with BM's returns and QA issues.
    So I'm well aware of BM's lack of quality control.
    I'll hang on to my BMPC for now because of the global shutter.
    But I gotta tell you the BMPC 4K seems like the junkiest camera BM has ever made.
    I've been taking a look at it but that look is coming with a frown now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #53  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    For me it really wasn't worth it.
    My short list had the C200, EVA1, and Ursa Mini Pro on it.
    That slightly nicer BM image just isn't worth it for me at this point.
    Canon is light years more reliable, has excellent focus, a camera half the size of an URSA Mini Pro, and it shoots RAW internally as well.
    A speed booster jammed at 1/4 turn on my BMPC. I sent the speed booster back. I had enough m4/3 glass to use with camera and not be bothered farting around with BM's returns and QA issues.
    So I'm well aware of BM's lack of quality control.
    I'll hang on to my BMPC for now because of the global shutter.
    But I gotta tell you the BMPC 4K seems like the junkiest camera BM has ever made.
    I've been taking a look at it but that look is coming with a frown now.
    The upper tier of cameras is certainly a different story. My main point is focused around the pocket 4k where the ability to pump out something almost on par with the higher camera but with the budget territory that comes along with it is just great. No consumer restrictions, the price makes it a great camera to own for film makers where as if the budget allowed many would rent a more crew friendly camera.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #54  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    425
    What the P4K allows us to do, at the price it allows us to do it, is amazing. None of its failings change that.

    ...BUT...

    that doesn't excuse the failings, nor does it mean we shouldn't discuss the failings. At a minimum we have to find work-arounds, and hopefully, it will influence firmware changes to this camera, and better decisions regarding the next camera.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #55  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Realistically, you have no reliable battery monitoring below 30%. It sucks, but that's the practical limitation you'll have to work with. You can be safe and swap at 30% or you can run longer on borrowed time, not having much of a clue if that will be 5 minutes or 20 minutes. Or you can move to an external solution.

    Luckily for the me, the vast majority of shooting I do is conducive to an external battery solution, but I feel for those that need a more compact, incognito rig.
    Sure, but that was one battery. The others (tried at least three) never read higher than 80%. I'll definitely be using external power but yeah, I would just like to have reliable power when I don't have it hooked up to a V-mount.

    Agree 100% on this "quit complaining, the value is great!" crap. That kind of attitude is anti-consumer and lets companies get away with too much. If all you have to add to a discussion about poor battery life is the equivalent of "who cares?" then maybe sit this one out. I can love a camera and still call out its shortcomings.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #56  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    720
    I love the camera for any number of strengths that it has.

    But power is the essential element that makes it all work and it should have been developed a lot better than this.

    Providing a cheap, wonky battery with the camera, completely unreliable power status and a physical design that allows far too many batteries to get stuck inside is a failure by any standard.

    As is under-powered mic inputs.

    As a business consultant I'd have the folks responsible for this in a very serious meeting coming up with very serious solutions.

    And I'd have a communication strategy for users well underway by now.

    I love what BM does mostly but these slipshod elements don't reflect very well on their overall approach.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #57  
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    3,036
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    BMD's massive power use isn't because of "professional" features, it's because of their small scale electronics design, which necessitates a fan.
    Actually it's because they use active (solid state) sensor cooling, a power intensive feature. (Look up peltier effect)

    As the camera heats up, the cooling system requires more power to maintain the operating temperature.

    Accurate battery status SHOULD be a given however.

    JB
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #58  
    Senior Member Taikonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    What makes the P4K more of a professional tool? It's a $1,300 piece of plastic with a terribly sheap build and a worse battery system. Completely arbitrary, artificial distinction.


    Your argument makes little sense. You claim it is a professional tool and then explain that BMD didn't include a professional battery system. BMD's massive power use isn't because of "professional" features, it's because of their small scale electronics design, which necessitates a fan.

    Again, BMD put an underpowered, unreliable battery system in a cheap body. Panasonic put an appropriate battery system in a rugged body. Which one is more "professional." Let's skip the arbitrary distinctions.
    You stll not getting it are you. Underpower? Because it has an option of using an internal battery that trying to accomodate 4k Raw or 10 bit 422 Prores. Come on get real!!!!
    Camera that shoot with those codecs either don't have internal battery or record externally on a recorder that eats up batteries.
    Build quality rubbish? What do you expect? Can you use it? I hate to break it out to you but there is a reason why BMD chose the kind of body it has. It need to dissipate heat efficiently because it need to handle the demanding codecs. Having a rugged body like Panasonic lead to camera overheat.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #59  
    Senior Member Taikonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,037
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisA View Post
    Sure, but that was one battery. The others (tried at least three) never read higher than 80%. I'll definitely be using external power but yeah, I would just like to have reliable power when I don't have it hooked up to a V-mount.

    Agree 100% on this "quit complaining, the value is great!" crap. That kind of attitude is anti-consumer and lets companies get away with too much. If all you have to add to a discussion about poor battery life is the equivalent of "who cares?" then maybe sit this one out. I can love a camera and still call out its shortcomings.
    Again you also miss the point. A single LP-E6 battery is not going to get you very far wether it is mounted internally or externally when running a camera that handles demanding professional codecs. The limitation is not the design but science. It seems BMD is only guilty of allowing a single LP-E6 battery internally but like I said earlier if the battery compartment was filled with epoxy they will not be accused of complacent.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #60  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    You stll not getting it are you. Underpower? Because it has an option of using an internal battery that trying to accomodate 4k Raw or 10 bit 422 Prores. Come on get real!!!!
    Camera that shoot with those codecs either don't have internal battery or record externally on a recorder that eats up batteries.
    Build quality rubbish? What do you expect? Can you use it? I hate to break it out to you but there is a reason why BMD chose the kind of body it has. It need to dissipate heat efficiently because it need to handle the demanding codecs. Having a rugged body like Panasonic lead to camera overheat.
    What does the codec (okay, I'll pretend that equals heat dissipation) have to do with an *unreliable* internal battery system, shoddy battery door, ill-fitting battery compartment, body flex, loose MFT mount, etc.? We all love having RAW at our finger tips...it's not an excuse for other parts of the camera being sub-par. It's patently ridiculous to claim that you can't have tight build tolerances and rugged materials and still siphon off heat.

    Just admit that BMD – a very small company – is having trouble competing with the battery know-how of the Japanese megacorps. They are relying on someone else's battery system, and it's clearly not up to the job.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2017, 10:53 AM
  2. Rod Stuck in Shoulder Kit
    By Asyndeton in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2016, 11:12 PM
  3. does the micro cinema camera have a fan inside
    By ugafan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2016, 11:13 PM
  4. If I can only have 1 lens (choice of two inside)
    By tehrealbdeal in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2016, 03:08 AM
  5. Prague inside my pocket
    By dc98 in forum Footage / Frames
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •