Thread: Pocket 4K - Battery Stuck Inside

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64
  1. #41  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Hard part is telling if the Canon batteries you have are genuine or if they're too old. Did you buy them from a reputable store like B & H because there's a ton of fakes going around and I haven't heard any complaints yet of genuine LP-E6 batteries.
    The canons I have are real not fake. Some of them might be old, but they work on other devices so I don’t think it’s the batteries fault.

    And the question remains: Will BM address the issue and try to fix it in firmware? Or is it hardware problem? Good to know for deciding if I should keep the camera or not.

    All the Best
    V
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #42  
    Senior Member Taikonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Tell that to every photographer ever who ever used internal batteries on their "professional" camera. C'mon. We don't need to apologize for BMD's crappy internal battery situation by putting down anyone who actually tries to use it. Stop implying that we are unprofessional.

    My GH4 was used for years for professional work, using only internal batteries that lasted for 3 hours + and never once had a single problem. (In fact, I can't remember ever reading a report of anyone having a problem.) My GH5 doesn't last as long, but similarly has never had a single issue and I've never needed external batteries to do "professional" work. BMD *chose* to use the LP-E6 battery system that is not only barely powerful enough to work, but has issues correctly communicating with the camera.

    It's wonderful that the P4K has the 12v port, but that option doesn't mean that the internal battery should not be a viable option, as well.
    I'm a photographer. I'm talking about video cameras on a video camera forum, not apples and oranges.
    I also think you are mistaking professional use from professional level cameras. I can use a mobile phone for professional use but its not a professional level camera. GH4 are use in professional shoot but a professional level camera it aint. Its class as a prosumer.
    As an analogy I can race with a crapped out Mini Cooper but it is not a racing car.

    On this one I'm partially defending BMD because it is clearly a pro level camera and also aimed at professional use but the dSLR formfactor will instantly require the need of internal battery, but for me that is gimmicky because clearly you cannot expect a camera to record 4k Raw or 10 bit Proress HQ at 60fps and expect the Canon LP-E6 battery to last an hour. The way I see it internal battery is for quick casual use or grabbing a scene as a B cam, not exclusively as an A cam on a paid professional shoot.
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 12-18-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #43  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    106
    People need to stop giving BM a pass on their poor engineering and lack of quality control.
    The battery is poorly engineered.
    The camera is under powered and batteries mechanically stick.
    Lots of cameras are dead on arrival.
    Lots of cameras have messed up mounts.
    I have a C200.
    And I have to say that I have never ever seen a you tube reviewer who had a dead C200.
    I've seen plenty on the BM pocket 4k.
    The batteries last a long time on a C200. And one is included in the kit.
    And they don't jam.
    I'd bet the QA on a C200 is light years ahead of the QA on an URSA mini pro.
    You guys give BM a pass and they'll continue to be complacent.
    Now that people like Canon are making cameras that compete with cameras like the URSA mini Pro, BM needs to really up their game.
    And I haven't even talked about reliable autofocus.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #44  
    Senior Member Taikonaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    People need to stop giving BM a pass on their poor engineering and lack of quality control.
    The battery is poorly engineered.
    The camera is under powered and batteries mechanically stick.
    Lots of cameras are dead on arrival.
    Lots of cameras have messed up mounts.
    I have a C200.
    And I have to say that I have never ever seen a you tube reviewer who had a dead C200.
    I've seen plenty on the BM pocket 4k.
    The batteries last a long time on a C200. And one is included in the kit.
    And they don't jam.
    I'd bet the QA on a C200 is light years ahead of the QA on an URSA mini pro.
    You guys give BM a pass and they'll continue to be complacent.
    Now that people like Canon are making cameras that compete with cameras like the URSA mini Pro, BM needs to really up their game.
    And I haven't even talked about reliable autofocus.
    If the P4k battery compartment is filled with epoxy it will be a winner
    RED and ARRI need to sort out their AFs too?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #45  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    278
    I requested a replacement battery door and will withhold final judgment until then. However, I did take 7 LP-E6 batteries with me on a trip recently and don't think I got a full hour of footage out of any of them. Charged them all before leaving and I don't think a single one registered as fully charged when put into the camera. Some were as low as 50% or less. The highest read at 75% or so.

    I will ultimately be using this with a V Mount, but obviously battery life like I've experienced is unacceptable. Here's hoping the battery door fixes it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #46  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisA View Post
    I requested a replacement battery door and will withhold final judgment until then. However, I did take 7 LP-E6 batteries with me on a trip recently and don't think I got a full hour of footage out of any of them. Charged them all before leaving and I don't think a single one registered as fully charged when put into the camera. Some were as low as 50% or less. The highest read at 75% or so.

    I will ultimately be using this with a V Mount, but obviously battery life like I've experienced is unacceptable. Here's hoping the battery door fixes it.
    How is a battery door going to get you better battery life? How old are the batteries? How many times have they been charged? Are they Chinese knockoff batteries? The answers may be the reason.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #47  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by mico View Post
    How is a battery door going to get you better battery life? How old are the batteries? How many times have they been charged? Are they Chinese knockoff batteries? The answers may be the reason.
    It will at least let me eliminate a variable. I'll do more tests after. I have Canon, Wasabi, and Kastar batteries.

    At one point, I had a battery loaded in, it read 20% life left, and then cut off a few seconds after. Booted back up, same thing, was able to shoot ~20 seconds before it just cut off again.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #48  
    Senior Member Asyndeton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisA View Post
    It will at least let me eliminate a variable. I'll do more tests after. I have Canon, Wasabi, and Kastar batteries.

    At one point, I had a battery loaded in, it read 20% life left, and then cut off a few seconds after. Booted back up, same thing, was able to shoot ~20 seconds before it just cut off again.
    You can’t go off of the percentage, switch to voltage. Also, the battery door isn’t doing anything to affect performance of the battery, it’s made to be taken off.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #49  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    772
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    People need to stop giving BM a pass on their poor engineering and lack of quality control.
    The battery is poorly engineered.
    The camera is under powered and batteries mechanically stick.
    Lots of cameras are dead on arrival.
    Lots of cameras have messed up mounts.
    I have a C200.
    And I have to say that I have never ever seen a you tube reviewer who had a dead C200.
    I've seen plenty on the BM pocket 4k.
    The batteries last a long time on a C200. And one is included in the kit.
    And they don't jam.
    I'd bet the QA on a C200 is light years ahead of the QA on an URSA mini pro.
    You guys give BM a pass and they'll continue to be complacent.
    Now that people like Canon are making cameras that compete with cameras like the URSA mini Pro, BM needs to really up their game.
    And I haven't even talked about reliable autofocus.


    I'd say it's less of giving them a pass and more of that there isn't another option.

    You just can't get this image anywhere else and it's all that most people are willing to purchase for themselves.

    Most would be willing to pay an increased cost to get the peace of mind a Canon camera brings but many people would instead buy a Canon camera even still if the prices were even.

    The only way to truely complain is to not buy a product but at 1300 USD, small form, lut capable, 4k 60p raw shooting and resolve studio it's a really tough call to skip out on.

    So yes we want better QA of course, we want cameras that won't bug out mid shoot, that run well off their included battery but most of all we want cameras that shoot an image close to an arri without the price tag which is a tough call that only black magic is offering atm.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #50  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    386
    I also think you are mistaking professional use from professional level cameras. I can use a mobile phone for professional use but its not a professional level camera. GH4 are use in professional shoot but a professional level camera it aint. Its class as a prosumer.
    What makes the P4K more of a professional tool? It's a $1,300 piece of plastic with a terribly sheap build and a worse battery system. Completely arbitrary, artificial distinction.

    On this one I'm partially defending BMD because it is clearly a pro level camera and also aimed at professional use but the dSLR formfactor will instantly require the need of internal battery, but for me that is gimmicky because clearly you cannot expect a camera to record 4k Raw or 10 bit Proress HQ at 60fps and expect the Canon LP-E6 battery to last an hour. The way I see it internal battery is for quick casual use or grabbing a scene as a B cam, not exclusively as an A cam on a paid professional shoot.
    Your argument makes little sense. You claim it is a professional tool and then explain that BMD didn't include a professional battery system. BMD's massive power use isn't because of "professional" features, it's because of their small scale electronics design, which necessitates a fan.

    Again, BMD put an underpowered, unreliable battery system in a cheap body. Panasonic put an appropriate battery system in a rugged body. Which one is more "professional." Let's skip the arbitrary distinctions.
    Last edited by joe12south; 12-18-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUTs for the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
    Pocketluts Store
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2017, 10:53 AM
  2. Rod Stuck in Shoulder Kit
    By Asyndeton in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2016, 11:12 PM
  3. does the micro cinema camera have a fan inside
    By ugafan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2016, 11:13 PM
  4. If I can only have 1 lens (choice of two inside)
    By tehrealbdeal in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2016, 03:08 AM
  5. Prague inside my pocket
    By dc98 in forum Footage / Frames
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •