Thread: Opinion poll - Used BMPC 4k, Big URSA V2, or scalped price pocket 4k?

1. #1 Opinion poll - Used BMPC 4k, Big URSA V2, or scalped price pocket 4k? 
    I've had the 2.4k and original pocket camera for 4+ years now and although I have a GH4 for quick and dirty shoots that need to be 4k, I REALLY want 4k raw. Much as I'd like, going into the slow business winter months, I can't justify dropping $5000 on a Ursa Mini 4.6.

So, my options seem like picking up an old production 4k camera for around $1200 - which is a nice cheap way to get 4k raw, but then I'd have no high speed options, just 4k raw. 2nd option, is to pick up an old Big URSA camera on ebay for $2500-2600, which would give me 4k raw plus high frame rates, but a heavy ass camera that I'd still need to buy a ~300 cfast-ssd option from china, more ssd drives, - so $3000-3300.

At that point, I think I'd rather just buy a rip off price $2100 Pocket 4k from Amazon/Ebay.....since the estimates I've heard for mass availability won't be around until spring of next year (eff that).

I don't really like the risk of buying used gear, but if my option is wait 5-7 months for a 4k pocket, I'm not sure there's another 4k raw affordable option. I'd spend up to 3000ish, but sure wish the 1300 pocket was available.

Opinions?
    Last edited by marshallbaker; 10-25-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

www.Vimeo.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.facebook.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.twitter.com/RedCrownCompany

Shoveling some extra 700 $ in some ar*ehole's purse for a P4K? Search the "Pocket 4K is shipping"-thread, there is a small US vendour mentioned who seem to be able to deliver the camera within reasonable time.

EDIT: The thread is at the official forum:

For US peeps, I ordered mine from a little place called Kellard's... It seems they've gotten more than a couple shipments since launch.

Yep, I ordered from Kellards.com on October 13th, and they got a new shipment in today and I got my tracking number. Should be here Friday.
    http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/vi...cb8175#p449274
    Last edited by gmfb; 10-25-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmfb View Post
    Shoveling some extra 700 $ in some ar*ehole's purse for a P4K? Search the "Pocket 4K is shipping"-thread, there is a small US vendour mentioned who seem to be able to deliver the camera within reasonable time.

EDIT: The thread is at the official forum:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/vi...cb8175#p449274
    I feel you - I've been following a similar thread on a Facebook group, Kellards seemed to be the only folks who had any for a time, but now even they say "unavailable" instead of "pre-order", with no idea of when they'll get more or any numbers. This whole waiting with no idea of numbers/shipping is crazy.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

I would pay more for the p4k than for anything that uses the old 4k sensor that had such low dynamic range

I think you really have to assess if you 'need' 4k raw right this second? Is it going to make you more money? Is it required for a project extremely soon?

If no to the above then I'd play the waiting game, there's a few problems floating around with the P4K that need to be cleaned up before I'd purchase one so that gives you time for them to sort that out. Unless you get an old BMPC 4k for an extreme bargan then it's simply not worth the loss in dynamic range though the global shutter might be nice?

The P4K is the much better investment with Braw coming, dual iso etc it's a tool that doesnt exist yet in the black magic range. Though don't pay out now as you can't use it professionally yet anyway till the kinks are out.

I ended up finding a 4.6K EF package on Ebay that was pretty sweet and although it was more than I wanted to spend (got the winning bid for $3850) I can sell parts of the package I don't want. I'm planning on selling the URSA Viewfinder and URSA Mini Shoulder Kit to hopefully recoup 1000 or so of the cost.
    Package came with a lot so I'm pretty stoked:

Blackmagic URSA Mini 4.6K EF
    URSA Mini Shoulder Kit
    URSA Viewfinder
    URSA Mini SSD Recorder
    IndiPro Blackmagic URSA V-Mount Kit w 95Wh V-Mount Battery and charger
    Juicebox 150Wh V-Mount Battery and charger

Sweet deal for $3850. If anyone is interested in the URSA viewfinder and Shoulder kit I plan on putting those up for sale as soon as I get the package next week.

Now I just need to figure out what SSD to get - I'm thinking the Samsung 1TB 860 EVO - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._internal.html

Thanks for everyones input!
    Last edited by marshallbaker; 10-26-2018 at 05:38 AM.

Nice!

I know - I got lucky. When my wife came home though she was like "you spent how much?" But after I told her I could sell the other parts she was cool. Whew! Looking forward to my Ursa 4.6k !