Thread: PSA: Pocket 4K FilmConvert profile available for download

1. #1 PSA: Pocket 4K FilmConvert profile available for download 
    https://www.filmconvert.com/download...4f5f-280056013

Now let 100 chime in on why we should grade by hand and not use FilmConvert. ;-)

I would love to hear more about FilmConvert honestly. It seems like a great tool to add "film stocks", etc. but this would all take place after you've done basic color correction right?
    Is there anything besides the film stocks that it does? New guy to actual CC here, just trying to wrap my head around it. :P

No. the profile is to put the LUT before you do basic correction.
    I did some LUT Pack tests in the past and they all suck. Except for filmconvert.
    filmconvert is the only "LUT Plugin" that did a amazing job emulating analog film.
    It is a bit slow. the plugin. ut you can use it in AE (I think this is how I did it) and export the LUTS.
    So you donīt have to tun the "plugin" and just use the luts.

Sometimes i use the "profile LUT" ... before grading. Sometimes i just grad on my own and put a "non profileLUT" by filmconvert at the end.
    The non profile luts are working with any footage. ut you have to do your own color correction and grade.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    No. the profile is to put the LUT before you do basic correction.
    I did some LUT Pack tests in the past and they all suck. Except for filmconvert.
    filmconvert is the only "LUT Plugin" that did a amazing job emulating analog film.
    It is a bit slow. the plugin. ut you can use it in AE (I think this is how I did it) and export the LUTS.
    So you donīt have to tun the "plugin" and just use the luts.

Sometimes i use the "profile LUT" ... before grading. Sometimes i just grad on my own and put a "non profileLUT" by filmconvert at the end.
    The non profile luts are working with any footage. ut you have to do your own color correction and grade.
    Oh interesting. So are you saying before I do any color correction, bringing down highlights, matching colors, etc. I should use this? Then do my color correction?
    I am shooting on a BMPCC 4K and editing/correcting in Resolve 15.

Got any tutorials on the beginners process of using FilmConvert? I believe it works inside Resolve too right?

I used to use just their film grain until R15 added its Film Grain OFX. But I still sometimes throw FC on as a final node at like %50 just as a little sweetener, I like how it rounds off highlights and shadows, or kind of just balances out the saturation of certain colors.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewc View Post
    Oh interesting. So are you saying before I do any color correction, bringing down highlights, matching colors, etc. I should use this? Then do my color correction?
    I am shooting on a BMPCC 4K and editing/correcting in Resolve 15.

Got any tutorials on the beginners process of using FilmConvert? I believe it works inside Resolve too right?
    I only use th "Resolve" Addon. And also AE. Never the standalone Version.
    And yes. If you are using the "profile LUTs" donīt to anything to your footage. No contrast curves, or whatever.
    Apply the "Profile LUT" and start grading. Of course you still can shange color temperature before (!) the lut.
    You can also add curves before the lut. But the "profile luts" are made to use at the beginning. As a starting point.

Got no tutorial for lut but maybe check thise site:
    http://juanmelara.com.au/blog/

And check out the last 3 videos.

I can also reccomend the grain. One Tipp. You can add the grain to a grey backround. and render a 10 seconds sequenze.
    So in resolve you can easily add 35mm filmgrain from filmconvert without using the filmconvert plugin. Because the plugin
    is pretty slow. But adding a "grain matte" is faster.

I’ve never experienced Filmconvert slowing down my playback, and that’s across multiple computers of varying hardware that I’ve used it in both Premiere and Resolve.