Thread: Pocket 4K / Metabones Ultra / Viltrox EF-M2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mine performs similarly but is perfect once stopped down (around a stop), which is where I'll be using it mostly anyway. For that price I'm happy to make that compromise because the image quality otherwise is really, really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanzzxx View Post
    Mine performs similarly but is perfect once stopped down (around a stop), which is where I'll be using it mostly anyway. For that price I'm happy to make that compromise because the image quality otherwise is really, really good.
    Even when stopped down you can still detect a soft glow if you zoom in. I suppose some people may like that as the effect is similar to a weak diffuser.

TBH 50% of the reason I went for a focal reducer is to gain a stop in DOF.

I have a guess for these problems

Bmpcc4k probably lik the bmcc & og bmpcc has thicker IR filter which causes some issues unlike the mft cameras metabones is meant for.
    Thats why we have a bmcc & bmpcc version of metabones
    Dustin Uy-Filmmaker

I hope Metabones bring out a dedicated SB for the P4K
    Imagine something like their Devil Speedbooster with 0.5x

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/..._Press_Release

Sorry for being slightly off-topic, but I didn't want to start a thread for this simple question - is there anyone else beside Metabones producing a 0.64 focal reducer? Viltrox is only offering the 0.72 variant, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I just got the Viltrox and it sucks when trying to shoot wide open on f1.4 lens its get soft and dreamy like a bad lens do. Its only becomes ok when step back up to f1.4.
    Have I got a bad one or are they all like that?

BTW my old lens turbo focal reducer perform way better IQ wise but it has no electrical contacts.
    I just want to confirm I'm seeing the same thing on my Viltrox. It's definitely softer and has a weird glow wide open compared to my non-ultra .71x Speedbooster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Interesting, I've been seeing this from many people however when the GH5 first came out and the viltrox came into play the examples were quite good, in some cases very hard to tell them appart. I wonder if there's a bad bunch around?
    That's one of the reasons i decided to purchase one. I saw so many good reviews online and the price was so cheap, but I was really disappointed at the quality shooting wide open on the Pocket 4K. But out of curiosity, I used it on my Panasonic GX85 and saw that there's less of the softness/glow on the GX85.

Viltrox / Pocket 4K / Rokinon Cine 50mm Wide Open

Viltrox / Panasonic GX85 / Rokinon Cine 50mm Wide Open

Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    I have a guess for these problems

Bmpcc4k probably lik the bmcc & og bmpcc has thicker IR filter which causes some issues unlike the mft cameras metabones is meant for.
    Thats why we have a bmcc & bmpcc version of metabones
    This would be consistent with the comparisons we've seen between the regular Speedbooster VS the BMCC Speedbooster.

As you can see in those images, the regular Speedbooster has this slight veiling/glow at wide open compared to the BMCC Speedbooster.

Its sounding more like the stack thickness issue play a part. Ordinary Metabones are better than Viltrox but dedicated BMD ones are closer to perfection.
    Funny how my 6 years old Lens Turbo does much better than Viltrox.

I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

This is especially directed to kin869 but could be of value for everyone.

Backstory: Bad results with wide angle lenses and the Pocket 4K. Especially with speed boosters. (As in the thread with kin869 that are now closed)

I've been doing a lot of testing and actually have som results. I went to my local photography store and borrowed some lenses and some adapters. I tested the Sigma 14mm 1.8, the Olympus 7-14mm and a Kowa 8.5mm 2.8 as well as a Sigma 18-35 with speed booster XL, speed booster Ultra och and a straight adapter. The Olympus works great and as expected. The Kowa didn't perform well at all. In fact, I could never get it to look sharp even at f10. My XL adapter showed major issues with the Sigma 14mm 1.8 and the Ultra adapter was quite far from acceptable as well. As expected the straight adapter didn't have any issues with anything. But then again the 14mm is now closer to 30mm and it's not that wide angle anymore. I had seen some people talking about adjusting the speed booster for infinity focus. So I figured out where my screw for adjustment was on the XL speed booster and now the interesting things start. I managed to go from totally unusable to 95% there with about three adjustments. I noticed that without adjustment the infinity was between 0.5 and 1 meter away. But after my third adjustment infinity focus was roughly at the infinity mark. I saw very big improvements with the adapter and I'm sure Metabones or any other manufacturer can make a speed booster that works with the Pocket 4K.

I just visited a friend today with his Pocket 4K and BMCC speed booster (0,64x) and he had the same issues with his adapter and the 14mm 1.8. So it's not my specific speed booster or my specific camera.

So I'm getting more and more certain that lenses and speed boosters are calibrated for standard MFT cameras like the GH series. There seems to be something not so standard about sensor stack on the Pocket 4K. It really want's telecentric lenses and any kind of deviance from that creates quite big issues that are enhanced with speed boosters. But with adjustment or even better a new speed booster designed specifically for the BM Pocket 4K, things will be okay. I still haven't had the chance to test the Laowa 7.5mm f2 to verify the issues that other people have had with that lens and the Pocket 4K. I can confirm that the Lowa 8.5mm 2.8 doesn't work well at all with the Pocket 4K.

I did a quick and dirty (non scientific) test, with most of the combinations I have at hand, where I also did my first adjustment to my speed booster. It's as boring as watching paint dry, but it might help people gain more knowledge into what's going on here.

https://vimeo.com/300142316/57d5edf546

Anfer, thanks for those tests! I know they can take a lot of time so I appreciate you doing that.

My Speedbooster has already been adjusted for infinity focus so I've been pretty happy with the images I'm getting from that combo. I was just really bummed with the native wide angles that I have since those are my go to lenses for gimbal work.

I was really excited about the Viltrox initially since I read and saw so many good reviews, but its performance seems to be inferior to my Speedbooster at larger apertures. Not to mention the Viltrox performs worse on the Pocket 4K than on my GX85 with the same lenses that I have.