Thread: Where is my grain coming from? BMPCC 4Kk

1. #1 Where is my grain coming from? BMPCC 4Kk 
    I'm curious about the footage I shot this morning. Shot in 4K RAW 3:1, but the footage has a strong RGB grain to it. Yeah it was a bit dark out and I exposed as far right as possible, is it coming from simply not enough light? Even the shots with light seem to have a bunch of grain.

I exposed the footage as bright as I could without blowing anything out. Is something else wrong here? Or is this just more normal for 4K footage?

There wasn't a lot of contrast this earlier, but I definitely keep things to the right.

I've included a couple DNGs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/87wr8c8tmj...mples.rar?dl=0

Looks normal to me, albeit a little soft on the focus on some shots. Try this - in Davinci under LUTs/3D LUT/Arri, apply Arri Alexa LogC to Rec709 to your clips. See how that looks to you. I don't see much grain at all.

One other thought - I noticed you shot these at ISO 1250. That's the point at which the camera switches over to the higher native ISO. You might try shooting at ISO 1000 or lower, and see whether that works better for you.
    Last edited by Ralph B; 10-21-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Your samples are ok exposed. Almost no highlights clipping, but could be underexposed even more to keep all possible dynamic range inside. I see you shoot it at high ISO range. Did you try to shoot same scene with same expose look but at low iso range and compare? There is a lot of unknown things about this camera yet. From tech specs high native ISO produce less dynamic range, but because cleaner shadow noise probably more dynamic range could be recovered in post from shadows. From tech specs chart low native iso produces most dynamic range, but from samples i payed the deep shadow noise looks very ugly and "digital" and allow less dynamic range recovery from shadows.
    Also using chroma noise reduction and luma Temporal noise reduction is essential for this.
    You can also try to shoot ProRes, it slightly smoothes noise and aliasing.

Many people don't agree but i still see that P4K is slightly noisier and slightly less dynamic range than BMPCC. I also always see that noise in midtones in normal daylight samples even when 4K downscaled and smoothed to HD.
    There are bmpcc vs p4k indoors dynamic range samples from other thread but also exposed differently. BMPCC is 2 stops underexposed but when you recover shadows noise amount looks similar as normally exposed P4K. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d6p9k043v...h43D4Aw-a?dl=0
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    Looks normal to me, albeit a little soft on the focus on some shots. Try this - in Davinci under LUTs/3D LUT/Arri, apply Arri Alexa LogC to Rec709 to your clips. See how that looks to you. I don't see much grain at all.

One other thought - I noticed you shot these at ISO 1250. That's the point at which the camera switches over to the higher native ISO. You might try shooting at ISO 1000 or lower, and see whether that works better for you.
    For some reason I thought it was 1250 ISO. Thank you!! I utilized this yesterday when shooting.
    Yeah, I wasn't really picking my DNG frames too much, and using the Cine DS lenses on a Glidecam I definitely had some soft moments. I will give that a shot tonight with the LUTs!

ISO 1250 gives lower noise than 1000 precise because that's where the gain circuits switch.