Thread: BMPCC4K - Mount Tamalpais

1. #1 BMPCC4K - Mount Tamalpais 
    Hello,

We received our 4K Pocket about a week ago and immediately put it to work next to our Ursa Mini 4.6K during a film festival, capturing Q&As, broll in dark theatres, and a myriad of other run and gun scenarios in difficult lighting. I'm unable to share a lot of that content at the moment but I can't tell you what a difference it has already made in our work, especially at higher ISOs.

Last night, I was able to take it out for a spin atop Mount Tamalpais, north of San Francisco, during sunset. I'm hoping Metabones will release a dedicated speedbooster so, in the meantime, this was shot with a dumb EF to MFT adapter and the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. It was all shot in ProRes 422 HQ, UHD, 23.98 to 60p, using LP-E6 batteries and a Lexar 3400x CFast card with no issues whatsoever. All between 400-800 ISO, with the exception of the last shot at 1000 ISO. Graded in DaVinci Resolve using the BMD Extended LUT.

Fabián Aguirre
    Cinematographer | Steadicam Operator | Naturalist
    The Understory

Nice. Love the look.

Yeah, it has a modern BMCC look to it which is dope.
    Pocket 4K "Chaplin".

Looks amazing but something others have noted in this thread here http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...K-red-clipping

The red highlight on the motorbikes break light in picture 5 stands out like a sore thumb, I thought it might've been a hot pixel for a second. Something not quite right is going on because I don't see how it'd be over exposed and clipping that much.

Really, really sweet.
    Álex Montoya on Vimeo
    https://vimeo.com/alexmontoyamelia

The only issue I'm having with the EV LUT is that it has way too much contrast used at 100%.

The new "negative" coming out of the P4K Gen 4 color is very easy to grade and I find using the EV LUT at about 30% after color balancing maintains the DR available in fillm log.

Quote Originally Posted by misterkofa View Post
    Nice. Love the look.
    Thanks, Kofa. Love the stuff you do with the BMPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antonescu View Post
    Yeah, it has a modern BMCC look to it which is dope.
    That's interesting. I need to pull out the old BMCC and do a side-by-side test just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Looks amazing but something others have noted in this thread here http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...K-red-clipping

The red highlight on the motorbikes break light in picture 5 stands out like a sore thumb, I thought it might've been a hot pixel for a second. Something not quite right is going on because I don't see how it'd be over exposed and clipping that much.
    Thanks for noticing that. It's difficult to judge from such a distance, but I'll definitely be on the lookout for it. I had a similar issue when using the CST OFX with the UM46K and it was usually solved by enabling saturation mapping. I'll be following the thread you shared closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxto View Post
    Really, really sweet.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    The only issue I'm having with the EV LUT is that it has way too much contrast used at 100%.

The new "negative" coming out of the P4K Gen 4 color is very easy to grade and I find using the EV LUT at about 30% after color balancing maintains the DR available in fillm log.
    I agree-- it's such a joy to grade.
    Fabián Aguirre
    Cinematographer | Steadicam Operator | Naturalist
    The Understory

There will be no dedicated Metabones for this camera because it’s necessary. Just get the Ultra or XL depending on what lenses you have or the Viltrox.

Otherwise, very nice imagery. The dual iso and codec options on this camera make it anbeast for walkaround nature and landscape videography.