Thread: Pocket 4K red clipping

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slothorp View Post
    If i don't clip the highlights, we won't see any problem.

Isn't that always true, for any camera? Making the reverse also true, for any camera?

The Pocket4K exposures always come out too dark when I leave the lens cap on. ;-P

Sorry, couldn't resist. In all seriousness, yes, all cameras clip, but it would be nice if BM modified the image to fail gracefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    Isn't that always true, for any camera? Making the reverse also true, for any camera?
    Apparently, it remains hard for some people to acknowledge an issue that is visible in many examples. It is not a matter of clipping the highlights, but HOW they clip, as you can see by comparing between the BMPCC shots and the BMPCC4K ones, or the Malvo examples. I think I have sufficiently pointed out the problem, for now. For those who don't want to see it, well, sooner or later, they will come back here to read the saturation mapping solution, I guess. In the meantime, I hope BM is aware of it.
    Last edited by slothorp; 11-06-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slothorp View Post
    Well, sooner or later, they will come back here to read the saturation mapping solution, I guess. In the meantime, I hope BM is aware of it.

Only really works with RAW and HR turned on. Red highlights still look like trash in ProRes sadly. I really hope they find a solution for a nicer rolloff of the red channel soon.
    My website:
    www.55media.net

Quote Originally Posted by joe12south View Post
    Did a test today which seems to indicate that v4 color science strongly, but not solely impacts this issue...

PROCESSED WITH V4 COLOR SCIENCE

PROCESSED WITHOUT V4 COLOR SCIENCE

Can anyone explain what I'm looking at here? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    Can anyone explain what I'm looking at here? I don't get it.
    The light is displaying pure red. Notice how it shifts to yellow before clipping. Then notice how it does not when I processed the image without v4 color science.

That's interesting. The first time I saw that pointed out (color shift to yellow when overexposed), it was in wolfcrow's vs Alexa vs GH5 vs P4K video. Both the GH5 and P4K shifted towards yellow in overexposed highlights while the Alexa didn't have any color shift.

I plan on doing some under/overexposure tests tomorrow. I'll try to throw some red light tests in there.

In addition to having a good bit more real latitude, part of the Alexa's signature style is to desaturate highlights, so it's not surprising it didn't have a noticeable shift.

I don't own the camera and I didn't want to wade into this controversy but I was watching a review video discussing other matters and they mentioned something interesting. You can watch the whole video just for fun but if you want to see the part that jumped out at me start at 9:13. I have no opinion at this time so please don't jump on me. I am just posting some information.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    I don't own the camera and I didn't want to wade into this controversy but I was watching a review video discussing other matters and they mentioned something interesting. You can watch the whole video just for fun but if you want to see the part that jumped out at me start at 9:13. I have no opinion at this time so please don't jump on me. I am just posting some information.

Sounds like we've exchanged pink recovered highlights for orange ones.