Thread: Pocket 4K won't record to SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards?!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by evanholt View Post
    I was surprised to see that none of the SanDisk SD cards were on Blackmagic's recently released recommended card list...

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59025
    Surprising indeed. And overall only one card larger than 128GB recommended. Let's see if Braw will help add more cards.

Makes no sense.
    I've shot days of tests and three projects in the first 10 days or so with the camera all using San Disk Extreme Pro 64GB V30 cards.

They worked so well in the first days of testing that i ordered 3 more.
    I shot a mountain bike segment all day Sunday, all in UHD 24p. Filled 2 older and two of the new cards flawlessly.
    I've shot over a TB of footage on these cards in 10 days and not a single issue.

Except for a battery getting stuck in camera out in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Makes no sense.
    Makes perfect sense. Read the forum. One tiny glitch caused by user error and someone starts a thread claiming Blackmagic is a scam, all the preorder cameras are broken, blah, blah, blah.

They don't need the headache. The list is just recommended cards. It doesn't mean other cards won't work. They are probably the cards with the most headroom, so Blackmagic doesn't have to deal with a bunch of returns and angry forum posts. The situation was the same with the first bmpcc. I used cards that weren't on the recommended list. They worked fine for certain levels of prores and certain frame rates.

I also remember certain recommended cards later being pulled by Blackmagic. The manufacturers changed something with some of the later cards and they no longer worked. I can understand blackmagic being conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Read the forum. One tiny glitch caused by user error and someone starts a thread claiming Blackmagic is a scam, all the preorder cameras are broken, blah, blah, blah..

Read the forum? I participate w/information and read it thanks.

I said it makes no sense as in, in my practical, unbiased, unemotional experience having shot the camera a lot more than...maybe you? And likely tested said card more than BM has.

I have no idea what blah blah, broken cameras means.

I was surprised to read what I read because of my first hand, pretty extensive experience so far.

My experience is what it is and I'm not the only one shooting with the SanDisk V30 with absolutely not one issue.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jimagine; 10-16-2018 at 04:27 PM.

My experience is what it is and I'm not the only one shooting with the SanDisk V30 with absolutely not one issue.

Thanks.
    Can you clarify if you are shooting Prores or raw UHD with V30 cards just so others are aware when considering the same cards? I had dropped frames shooting UHD raw 3:1 60p with my Sandisk extreme pro. Opted for Sony UHS-II with no drama's so far. BM only lists the Sony UHS-II Tough models though. I just got the standard ones so thats another example of cards not on the list working

Only shooting PRoRes HQ UHD.

I have no expectation that that the Extreme Pro 95MBs would shoot raw at 60p.

I'm talking about my experience shooting in ProRes (as the majority of paid work is shot) without issue on these cards.

It's not just me. All of the films sanctioned pre-release by BM were shot in ProRes HQ.

So I thought it was worth noting that we've shot all of our footage since getting the camera in UHD on these cards without issue.

Only shooting PRoRes HQ UHD.

I have no expectation that that the Extreme Pro 95MBs would shoot raw at 60p.

I'm talking about my experience shooting in ProRes (as the majority of paid work is shot) without issue on these cards.

It's not just me. All of the films sanctioned pre-release by BM were shot in ProRes HQ.

So I thought it was worth noting that we've shot all of our footage since getting the camera in UHD on these cards without issue.
    Hi,

We will be certifying more cards as this is an ongoing. Right now, we're trying are setting the bar a bit higher to test out the various cards' performance at higher bandwidth formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Lam View Post
    Hi,

We will be certifying more cards as this is an ongoing. Right now, we're trying are setting the bar a bit higher to test out the various cards' performance at higher bandwidth formats.
    Thanks Kristian

I can confirm that for me my PCC4k works flawlessly with:
    SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I 95MB/S V30 256 GB, 128 GB and 64 GB

I am able to record ProRes HQ 4k DCI and UHD at up to 25 fps, with no dropped frames.
    It is even possible to record CDNG 4:1 4k DCI 25 fps without dropped frames - I've tested that with several 2 minute long recordings.
    3:1 was not possible, as to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian Lam View Post
    Hi,We will be certifying more cards as this is an ongoing. Right now, we're trying are setting the bar a bit higher to test out the various cards' performance at higher bandwidth formats.

Setting the bar high is a good thing Kristian. Thanks.