Thread: Pocket 4K ProRes LT vs GH5 V-Log 10 bit

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I don't like to say anything definitively because I'm a creative first and technician as a distant second.

But in my experience, yes, raw and ProRes will clip at the same point.

Similarly, one of the first quick tests I did with the new Extended Video mode on the P4K was to test clipping vs recording in film.
    What I saw immediately was that EV clipped earlier than film mode. Not a great deal but enought that it simply made sense to shoot in Film w/ the EV LUT active and then apply the EV LUT in post.

Best of both worlds in that regard.

Either way, again in my experience, the new color science and technology involved in the P4K shows a noticeably better handling of highlight roll-off, specifically on skin that previous BM cameras/color science.
    More organic, more color depth and softer highlights.

This is shooting ProRes HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ameer Azari View Post
    Data rates.
    ProRes which is basically MotionJPEG vs way more sophisticated H264 compression. Easy win of course...
    ProRes has to be set to 422 at least to be usable. LT is garbage
    My website:
    www.55media.net

Quote Originally Posted by Myownfriend View Post
    There's a video by ProAV that a lot of people are citing to say that RAW has more dynamic range but they were using Highlight Recovery which data for clipped channels based on data from non-clipped channels. When I commented about this on ProAV's video, they said that they were not able to get that detail out of the RAW footage without having Highlight Recovery checked on so it's likely that RAW and ProRes are clipping at the same point.
    Whatever it takes to get that detail back is fine by me. You can't pull it out of ProRes in Resolve (at least not yet), so yeah, RAW wins on the dynamic range front.

HOPEFULLY, BRAW will maintain this advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabasha View Post
    Whatever it takes to get that detail back is fine by me. You can't pull it out of ProRes in Resolve (at least not yet), so yeah, RAW wins on the dynamic range front.

That's not dynamic range if it's detail being created by the NLE. And BRAW will have Highlight Recovery in the future.

Actually, it would be a great test to see the shadow recovery when you ETTR.

That would solve the clipping in a second. And in a controlled environment, you can simply add a soft light in the dark areas.

I'm relatively new to Resolve, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something here -- my background is in photography. But how is it possible that RAW wouldn't allow for more natural highlight recovery? In photography, that's one of its biggest advantages. Maybe this is a stupid question, but how does RAW video differ in that sense?

Quote Originally Posted by DJK83 View Post
    I'm relatively new to Resolve, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something here -- my background is in photography. But how is it possible that RAW wouldn't allow for more natural highlight recovery? In photography, that's one of its biggest advantages. Maybe this is a stupid question, but how does RAW video differ in that sense?
    While I'm not 100% on this I think a lot of the difference may come from the camera used. I know many photography cameras claim high stops of dynamic range when in photo mode but capture much more restricted range in video mode be it because of the colour space used or codec I'm not sure.

But since these are dedicated video cameras the top dynamic range of 13 on the pockets should be what you get close to so long as your set to film log.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I know many photography cameras claim high stops of dynamic range when in photo mode but capture much more restricted range in video mode be it because of the colour space used or codec I'm not sure.
    Yes, but in that case, those cameras aren't shooting RAW video. What I don't understand is how RAW video differs from RAW photos. With every DSLR I've used (for photography, not video), you'll never see the full amount of dynamic range unless you shoot RAW and then recover highlights and push shadows. So I'm confused as to how it's possible that RAW and ProRes could clip at the same point.

Quote Originally Posted by Myownfriend View Post
    That's not dynamic range if it's detail being created by the NLE. And BRAW will have Highlight Recovery in the future.
    It's not creating anything. That info is in one of the color channels.

It's not creating anything. That info is in one of the color channels.
    I'm aware but it's using that data to create or modify data in the other channels.