Thread: Pocket 4K ProRes LT vs GH5 V-Log 10 bit

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Pocket 4K ProRes LT vs GH5 V-Log 10 bit 
    Wasn't sure which section to post this in.

I've been researching the current slate of Blackmagic codecs for a while and have been searching for sample footage to download to no avail.

Currently I shoot internal 10 Bit 4:2:2 with my GH5 at 400Mbps.

In terms of shooting lots of footage, I think the data rates from ProRes 422 LT from the Pocket 4K could be managed, but I'm just wondering how this compares in terms of quality to something like the GH5?

The GH5 footage is amenable to being pushed around during color grading, but I'm hoping the ProRes 422 LT will be comparable or even better. So just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?

Alternatively, can anyone point me in the direction of some tests comparing the two, because so far I've struggled to find any footage.

Of course, this will all become a moot point once Blackmagic releases BRAW, but for now we have ProRes.

Many thanks in advance.

I saw this article yesterday, its comparing with the gh5s.

http://tide.film/blackmagic-pocket-c...anasonic-gh5s/

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
    I saw this article yesterday, its comparing with the gh5s.

http://tide.film/blackmagic-pocket-c...anasonic-gh5s/
    So he basically thinks there's no real difference between the P4K and GH5s.

I hope he's wrong. At one point I owned both the original Pocket & GH4. The image from the Pocket was 10x's better than the GH4 ... in my subjective opinion, of course.

My P4K is supposed to arrive at my doorstep in four days. We'll see.

BMCC/Pocket v1/BMMCC/4.6K cameras have different sensor with different technology. They have more dynamic range and looks more film like.
    Pocket4K is different. It have similar sensor as Panasonic GH5s. Due better codec and better cooling system it slightly outperforms GH5s in dynamic range and shadow recovery. But looks less cinematic compare to older BMCC/Pocket v1/BMMCC/4.6K cameras cameras. Image have more TV/DSLR look (Sharp, contrast and with less dynamic range) Probably perfect for sports/corporate/wedding/stock videos.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    BMCC/Pocket v1/BMMCC/4.6K cameras have different sensor with different technology. They have more dynamic range and looks more film like.
    Pocket4K is different. It have similar sensor as Panasonic GH5s. Due better codec and better cooling system it slightly outperforms GH5s in dynamic range and shadow recovery. But looks less cinematic compare to older BMCC/Pocket v1/BMMCC/4.6K cameras cameras. Image have more TV/DSLR look (Sharp, contrast and with less dynamic range) Probably perfect for sports/corporate/wedding/stock videos.
    I agree with that...the Pocket 4K looks to be very similar/identical to the GH5S when comparing the best-of-the-best. The older cameras looked and felt different (or maybe it's just nostalgia), and this one has a very clinical look to it (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

In general, all of these cameras are now starting to blend and the lenses you'll use with them are more important than ever.

But looks less cinematic compare to older BMCC/Pocket v1/BMMCC/4.6K cameras cameras.
    Have/had all of those cameras including the BMMCC and after shooting with the P4k for two days I can say that's simply not the case.

If anything, it has a bit more mojo and presence.

I haven't found this to be true. Someone uploaded shots of the Pocket 4K vs BMPCC one Facebook and with just a simple color transform and very slight curves to make up for exposure differences, I was able to place the original Pocket's image inside the Pocket 4Ks and the difference doesn't jump out at you at all. Just remember that these are Jpegs that were uploaded to Facebook.

This is with the Pocket 4K CSTed to Pocket HD's look
    p4K_pHD_grade__oglook_2.4.2.jpg

This is the Pocket HD CSTed to Pocket 4K's look
    p4K_pHD_grade_3.1.1.jpg

I also think it's possible that the Pocket 4K may edge out the original Pocket in dynamic range.

There are some images processed from early Pocket v1 and BMMCC review DNGs. Not sure why but i don't not see similar look with Pocket4K samples yet. Pocket 4K is nice camera but it just not outperforms older cameras in dynamic range. But i played only with green screen BRAW samples and footage from BM website yet, so maybe i am wrong and difference not so huge.

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

All I'm going to say is we've been arguing for years the pocket-2k simply doesn't 'feel' like the gh-line of cams. I guess we were wrong? It's all subjective anyway. is the dress yellow or blue!?

IMO, there's a big difference between the BMPCC and other cameras as it was famous for its S16 vintage look...now everything is more modern and crispier including the Pocket 4K.