Thread: P4K Observations thread

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallbaker View Post
    "Old Sandisk 95MB/s didnt cut it with RAW 3:1 or 4:1" - I'd read somewhere while they won't work with current RAW 3:1 or 4:1, they should would with BRaw though. At least I'm hoping. I've got two 256GB and a 128GB from my current Pocket camera I'd like to use once BRaw hits the Pocket 4k. I've also got a 500GB Samsung T5 for when I get the camera, but sure like the idea of an internal card and not something hanging off the side or mounted somewhere.
    Was hoping for BRAW to be shipped with the camera but had to bite the bullet and get some for a shoot today. Yeah, avoiding having to hang stuff off it as much as possible for the work I do also. Have to say, its great to be able to shoot fast paced again with the quick menus and buttons, something that was a bit of a nightmare with the Micro. An articulating screen to shoot waist high is what i think is missing for me. Will be adding a top monitor to the cage. Autofocus works fairly well before recording, sometimes you need to give it a second try to make sure but its great to have for gimbal work. Flew well on my old Pilotfly H2.
    Last edited by iammuc; 10-07-2018 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    I posted this on the Blackmagic forum:

I have a FEATURE REQUEST:

Programmable focus points. The camera can lock focus with the touch screen, but it doesn't REMEMBER the distance, and instead hunts around every time to find the focus again. We should be able to lock in a couple of focus-pulling options and have the camera return to that point with the push of a button, or touchscreen option. This is a "CINE" camera right? You don't have your camera hunting around to focus in the cinema. This should be an easy software solution, since the camera can already do the hard lifting. It just needs to REMEMBER the data and recall it at the operator's touch.
    I really like this idea. If you could program A B C points by touching them on the screen, then have A B C buttons on the bottom of the screen or programmable function buttons on top go between those points, that would be killer. I don't know enough about camera focus mechanisms to know if it is feasible or not though, it might be one of those things that sounds easy but actually isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by trispembo View Post
    URSA Broadcast also shoots under-cranked at 5 fps, 1/5 sec shutter speed.
    Thanks. That's good to know. I wonder if they could squeeze anymore out of this sensor. 1/2 or full second shutter would be gold! Super happy to have 1/5th though.

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    An articulating screen to shoot waist high is what i think is missing for me. Will be adding a top monitor to the cage. Autofocus works fairly well before recording, sometimes you need to give it a second try to make sure but its great to have for gimbal work. Flew well on my old Pilotfly H2.
    Yes, an articulating screen would be very welcome. I imagine it would be difficult to implement in this form factor and size of LCD though. I have noticed that the viewing angles on the LCD are great.

I've found AF to be really good, but it depends on the lens. The Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 is maybe the best I've tried so far. Some lenses aren't worth using AF at all.

I can balance the camera upside down on the Zhiyun Crane v2. It's not ideal, but it does get the job done.

Can someone tell me what the HDMI lag looks like?

I had just a quick test on HDMI output and made no measurement, but the delay must be quite short, around 2 frames I'd guess.
    Will investigate more as soon as I find time to play with my PCC4K again. Too much work atm

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Yes, an articulating screen would be very welcome. I imagine it would be difficult to implement in this form factor and size of LCD though. I have noticed that the viewing angles on the LCD are great.

I think even just tilting down for waistlevel shooting would be a boon, really. Anything is better than completely fixed, though full articulation is the best for video work. Single operators recording themselves will always appreciate not having to buy an external monitor just to make sure they're in-frame. Raw out through the HDMI would've also mitigated this for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Niessner View Post
    I had just a quick test on HDMI output and made no measurement, but the delay must be quite short, around 2 frames I'd guess.
    Will investigate more as soon as I find time to play with my PCC4K again. Too much work atm
    Cool thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    I think even just tilting down for waistlevel shooting would be a boon, really. Anything is better than completely fixed, though full articulation is the best for video work. Single operators recording themselves will always appreciate not having to buy an external monitor just to make sure they're in-frame. Raw out through the HDMI would've also mitigated this for some.
    As an owner of a GH5, I will say that while I like the articulating screen, it's not as helpful as I would have thought, for one major reason... to get it to tilt up, you have to pull it out to the side, which makes handholding and keeping your left hand on the lens focus ring impossible if you're holding it down at your waist.

The HDMI standard does not support Video Raw data streams, as least not currently. Not sure how having Raw outout would have any effect on not having Tilting LCD? The new Pocket Camera is nice, but it is not a all in one solution for everyone. If yiu are primarily a blogger and want an articulated screen, then loom at a GH5 or 5/S. Adding more features and bells and whistles just drives the price up for everyone, and not everyone needs a tilting or articulated screen. Yes having one would be nice, but in most uses not necessarily.
    This can also be solved by using a monitor like the SmallHD Focus.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Flabasha View Post
    As an owner of a GH5, I will say that while I like the articulating screen, it's not as helpful as I would have thought, for one major reason... to get it to tilt up, you have to pull it out to the side, which makes handholding and keeping your left hand on the lens focus ring impossible if you're holding it down at your waist.
    Something that just tilts up like the sony cameras would do just fine. Thats all that I would need. A lot easier to implement i would think. Would mitigate a second monitor, extra battery and weight for non tripod users like myself that are used to shooting at waist height. Maybe we'll see one in another 3 yrs lol