Thread: P4K Observations thread

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeriu Campan View Post
    Now, that I can open the memory door (thank you!) and have a Sony U3 300MB card I can try it. I'll take it out from the Sony A7III where it was very happy so far.
    I ended up getting some. I let the camera record uncompressed RAW for the full 7min capacity of the card. No dropped frames so should easily be fine for the rest. Old Sandisk 95MB/s didnt cut it with RAW 3:1 or 4:1

Anyone know how to change the battery icon from bar to percentage instead of voltage? There was a youtube video showing percentage, possibly on old firmware perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    -

-My final observation for now is one that I'm guessing most people won't care about, but is very exciting to me. The slowest possible shutter speed of the P4K is 1/5th of a second. That's the slowest shutter speed of any Blackmagic camera that I'm aware of. The best the UMP can do is 1/12th of a second so the P4K can expose with more than a full stop brighter shutter. Obviously this is meaningless if you only ever plan to film real-time or slow-motion content, but if you also want to create timelapses with your P4K then this is a great feature to have! I think it makes sense to timelapse with a motion picture camera rather than a stills camera for many scenes and this probably won't be the last time you hear me talk about this in relation the the P4K.
    I’m guessing that’s bc of the photo option. Nice useful feature!

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    Anyone know how to change the battery icon from bar to percentage instead of voltage? There was a youtube video showing percentage, possibly on old firmware perhaps.
    Depends if your battery supports percentage display - see P.38 of the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Scoggins View Post
    Depends if your battery supports percentage display - see P.38 of the manual.
    That's cheating! You're not supposed to read the manual!

The battery which came with the camera does not support percentage, but my genuine Canon batteries do.

About the 300MB/s SDXC: for the price of a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC (€ 260 incl. 19% VAT) you almost get a Transcend CFX650 CFast2.0 with 256GB (€ 295 incl. 19% VAT).
    Does not make sense to me to go the SDXC route here. You can save with the slower 256GB SDXCs

-It's much lighter than I expected.

-The screen is really good! It's the standout physical feature of this camera and makes it worth having the wider body.

-It's not perfect, but it is currently my favorite Blackmagic camera of all time. I've used/use the original, pocket, 4K production, Ursa Mini 4.6k, and Ursa Mini Pro.

-The screen is nice and bright at 100% and extremely dark at 0%. I'm thinking it would nice to use a function button to toggle between 0 and 100 brightness for battery preservation while shooting long form content. Fairly niche idea, but I'm sure it would be useful to some.

-I really like the on/off switch.

-My final observation for now is one that I'm guessing most people won't care about, but is very exciting to me. The slowest possible shutter speed of the P4K is 1/5th of a second. That's the slowest shutter speed of any Blackmagic camera that I'm aware of. The best the UMP can do is 1/12th of a second so the P4K can expose with more than a full stop brighter shutter. Obviously this is meaningless if you only ever plan to film real-time or slow-motion content, but if you also want to create timelapses with your P4K then this is a great feature to have! I think it makes sense to timelapse with a motion picture camera rather than a stills camera for many scenes and this probably won't be the last time you hear me talk about this in relation the the P4K.
    I've said this before too about the screen brightness. It would be great to be able to toggle the screen to 0 brightness or just switch it off with a button, particularly for time lapse work or in the case where one is using an external monitor and wishes to get the most out of the PK4 internal battery. The onboard screen has to account for a large percentage of battery use.

On balance, the best BM camera to date (we've got 4 others.)

Interface is the best you'll find...incredibly fast to do anything on the fly.

LUTs, false color, peaking - all top notch stuff.

It feels great in the hand but not the most rugged camera by a long shot - cage it.

Screen is great - inside and outside.

IQ and color are definitely next level.

It will inspire a lot of people to add some native MFT glass with AF to their kit.

Don't know why (have some idea) most of the footage to date (basically everything except JB's) hasn't looked cinematic - because it has all of the mojo some people are worried it lacks.

Get lots of batteries - good batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    I ended up getting some. I let the camera record uncompressed RAW for the full 7min capacity of the card. No dropped frames so should easily be fine for the rest. Old Sandisk 95MB/s didnt cut it with RAW 3:1 or 4:1

"Old Sandisk 95MB/s didnt cut it with RAW 3:1 or 4:1" - I'd read somewhere while they won't work with current RAW 3:1 or 4:1, they should would with BRaw though. At least I'm hoping. I've got two 256GB and a 128GB from my current Pocket camera I'd like to use once BRaw hits the Pocket 4k. I've also got a 500GB Samsung T5 for when I get the camera, but sure like the idea of an internal card and not something hanging off the side or mounted somewhere.
    Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, BMPCC, GH4+Metabones, GoPro Hero4 Black, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

www.Vimeo.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.facebook.com/RedCrownCompany
    www.twitter.com/RedCrownCompany

I posted this on the Blackmagic forum:

I have a FEATURE REQUEST:

Programmable focus points. The camera can lock focus with the touch screen, but it doesn't REMEMBER the distance, and instead hunts around every time to find the focus again. We should be able to lock in a couple of focus-pulling options and have the camera return to that point with the push of a button, or touchscreen option. This is a "CINE" camera right? You don't have your camera hunting around to focus in the cinema. This should be an easy software solution, since the camera can already do the hard lifting. It just needs to REMEMBER the data and recall it at the operator's touch.

The slowest possible shutter speed of the P4K is 1/5th of a second. That's the slowest shutter speed of any Blackmagic camera that I'm aware of. The best the UMP can do is 1/12th of a second so the P4K can expose with more than a full stop brighter shutter.
    URSA Broadcast also shoots under-cranked at 5 fps, 1/5 sec shutter speed.