Thread: P4K Observations thread

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I believe HFS+ is the recommended recording format. Exfat is if you only have access to a Windows computer.
    ah yes, I knew that in theory. This is what happens when you take youtube videos as gospel and dont test for yourself. The card disappearing in Mac finder when trying to copy was a real oddity. Have reverted back to HFS+.

Observation on stuck battery, the plastic housing is thinner. It flexes when you push on it in the middle. OEM Canon and BM batteries dont, they hold their shape better. Something to keep an eye out for when buying third party batteries for P4K maybe

Had a quick play this morning. What I notice is the screen is bright and does not have the horrible green tint that exist in the Ursa Mini and Video Assist. Nice touch is the iris are now in 8 steps per stop instead of 4 in other BMD cameras, this was one of the complaint I had when using electronic iris control lenses so I hope BMD can bring the same 8 steps per stop or more to other cameras. The battery is unpredictable and dies fast. Canon OEM shows percentage while the supplied BMD battery and 3rd party batteries shows bar.

And a couple of Canon OEM batteries got stuck, had to shake the battery out with more force than I would like.
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 11-03-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Had a quick play this morning. What I notice is the screen is bright and does not have the horrible green tint that exist in the Ursa Mini and Video Assist. Nice touch is the iris are now in 8 steps per stop instead of 4 in other BMD cameras, this was one of the complaint I had when using electronic iris control lenses so I hope BMD can bring the same 8 steps per stop or more to other cameras. The battery is unpredictable and dies fast. Canon OEM shows percentage while the supplied BMD battery and 3rd party batteries shows bar.

And a couple of Canon OEM batteries got stuck, had to shake the battery out with more force than I would like.
    Then you should better check if those Canon OEMs are genuine, because there are lots of fakes on the market. Genuine Canon batteries should never get stuck because of their smaller size than the fakes.

They look real with packaging.

Press on them in the centre like I did to see if the plastic flexes. Should be as hard as the BM one, otherwise if it does flex its probably fake like my third party that got stuck.

Re-charged the battery that came with the camera and the battery indicator shows 0%

Hopefully ExFat format is not an issue. I have never had problems on Mac with the original pocket. I use Mac but my principal collaborators are on PCs so cards and portable drives always go to ExFat.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Niessner View Post
    So, just tested it out. PCC4k connected to Shogun Inferno and took a picture of both screens and Timecode.
    The delay is around 1.5 frames, which I'd consider very good.
    For the sake of comparison the Alexa has a 1 frame delay.

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    Press on them in the centre like I did to see if the plastic flexes. Should be as hard as the BM one, otherwise if it does flex its probably fake like my third party that got stuck.
    I know what is causing the battery stuck. The two set of pins on the Canon OEM are narrower so it grips the connectors on the P4K tighter and less likely to let go. On my other Canon OEM and 3rd party batteries including the the one that came with the camera the space between the pins are wider.

BTW Does anyone know how to change the battery indicator form percentage to level bar?
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 11-03-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Counterfeits have great looking packaging.