Thread: Pocket 4K Footage from John Brawley

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Thanks, kinda strange though. As the GH5S does support this in cinema anamorphic 4:3 mode. And blackmagic is never protecting a higher end camerera. (as the Ursa mini pro is still leagues over the pocket)
    I think it simply comes down to a lot going into processing and reading out the full 4:3 of a sensor that may increase heat, power draw etc and push it into not worth the time and money or potentially impossible to correct at 1.3k USD. Now I'm completely guessing here but I'd say the purpose built processor in the GH5 line would be pretty beefy, plus it's more expensive.

But more options is always nice if they can figure out a way to make it happen. I believe rokinon had a set of 2x budget anamorphics on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanzzxx View Post
    Oh man I am freaking myself out looking too much at this. I really need side-by-side comparisons in order to know whether I am not comparing this camera to a mythical video image of Blackmagic that doesn't exist....
    Agreed, some people are freaking out over footage that looks amazing and incredibly malleable. I think I can't overstate what a leap this little camera is in terms of quality, usability and all at a risible price.
    Last edited by Fauxto; 08-29-2018 at 04:21 AM.

I’ll try to tread carefully not to get someone on my neck, but it sounds like many expect or require Alexa and beyond kind of image from a camera at a fraction of the cost of mentioned higher end cameras.

Is every camera they make supposed to target every kind of user? Most likely not.
    Their marketing photos tells me a lot. Even in videos from NAB they mention “vlogger”, “blogger” and probably other terms for “amateur” or “enthusiast”. For those that fall within that category it will be a leap beyond measurement to go from their webcams and simple DSLR setups to a world of larger sensor, better color reproduction and codecs, even with a full fledged Resolve license to go.

I’m not saying this camera is only for those, but their statement is clear in my opinion.

I get it a lot of you want to swap the old pocket for the new, but if you don’t like the image, what’s the alternative? And at why cost?
    Complain all you want, there’s nothing we can do about it now, except to learn to tame the camera and footage to work for us, not against us.

I for one sold my old pocket to get the new. Mostly because I want to be able to intercut with UM46, but also to use it on the road both for work and especially for family and travel. And you know what? I can’t wait to get my unit.

New OS/UI, higher FPS when I need it, a lot bigger screen, the list goes on. Loads of reasons to get it.
    Not everyone will swap their old for the new, for me it was about financing the purchase. Others may have deeper pockets of course and keep their old. In that case: good for you! Really! You will get the best of both worlds!

I still have to watch them at home, but on my laptop all three clips released so far look FANTASTIC to me. Detail is great, dynamic range seems very good, colors are just beautiful, and there don't seem to be any obvious issues anywhere. I can't wait to get my p4k.

Looks amazing for the price.

Senior Member Michael Sandiford's Avatar
    I'm now convinced. Blown away by the skin tones and mix of temperatures light reflections tonal range. This will be my next camera purchase. I'll just have to wait for them to come in stock. I never pr-order as a rule but it doesn't mean I don't wish I had.

As a rule, I don`t preorder cameras, so my plan was to wait for the p4k to be in the hands of the people who preordered before making my decision.
    I broke that rule a few years ago when the original a7S came out. I just wrote to a local BM reseller to preorder a p4k.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sandiford View Post
    I'm now convinced. Blown away by the skin tones and mix of temperatures light reflections tonal range. This will be my next camera purchase. I'll just have to wait for them to come in stock. I never pr-order as a rule but it doesn't mean I don't wish I had.
    I'm regretting not pre-ordering, too. Is there such a thing as pre-buyer's remorse?

After following BMD's camera adventures for years, this is going to be my first BM camera. As a future owner, does this now mean that I'm going to have to listen to ephemeral whining about "cinematic" and "mojo" all the time? ;-)

Seriously, JB's footage proves this camera is capable of producing a raw image worthy of *any* production. (Not saying it's the right camera for every job, just simply that PQ isn't a reason to exclude it.)

I believe this to be the very first "no excuses" digital motion picture camera. With cost no longer a factor, if you can't create an image good enough for the big screen, maybe you're the one in need of some "mojo?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I don't understand the "at night" it's not at night clearly, with JB's comment here that it hints at the colour balance of the lights used I figured out it must mean he used tungsten lights but to anyone else I don't think they'd understand. Unless it's just the wrong footage?
    I was thinking the same thing