Thread: Some actual Pocket 4K Footage from Mark Wyatt

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
    Expected delivery date at BH Photo, October 5
    Damn! I really wanted to use this for a shoot on Oct. 6th.

" The exact reason we shoot RAW is so that we're not locked into the look the camera gives us, right? So just change it in post."

The only reason I would be shooting the Magic cameras is because of the look they have had. The same reason I choose Arri over Red, because of the look they give me.
    Raw has nothing to do with it.
    Whoever is not alarmed with this footage, well, we are on different boats. Not that there is anything wrong in being on different boats.
    --------------------
    sixteenpads.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    Damn! I really wanted to use this for a shoot on Oct. 6th.
    Did you pre-order somewhere? If so, you still might have it in September.

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    Did you pre-order somewhere? If so, you still might have it in September.
    For my part, I reached out to B&H - they said inventory is expected to arrive on Oct 5 :-/, as far as the person I spoke with knew...

Mark, thanks for the test. Great start. Agree that the forest is a good test as it requires a fair amount of latitude.

Have you had a chance to look at the footage on your own yet? I know you shoot with an UrsaMiniPro. What do you think compared to that? For the footage not the ease of use. Maybe that separately.

Also what did you use for media? Assuming CFast cards but maybe I shouldn't be assuming anything.

Thanks for beginning the opening salvo for every point of view and then some that will be directed at this footage and the camera that made it.

Really like the work you and your team do by the way. Nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fahnon View Post
    Being satisfied with whatever is thrown your way is not what I'd call a virtue.

If they'd released footage that...

-Showed skin tones (bonus for showing different shades).
    -Had a variety of lighting conditions/times of day.
    -Showed both outdoor/location and lit scenes.
    -Showed off the dual ISO.
    -Had RAW files to download along with the footage.

...very few people would be complaining. Hell this is the first time I've ever complained about early footage from a BMD camera.

You didn't think the people who were clamoring to see footage would be happy with something that doesn't work for them, right?
    You didnt have to wait that long to see some of what you needed... chill out.

Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Well that was enough skin tones to shut everyone up!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Stax View Post
    The only reason I would be shooting the Magic cameras is because of the look they have had.
    The other part of my post is just a relevant. I feel that the stuff you're losing your mind over is in the grade.

I've seen a lot of footage from the Pocket and Micro Cinema Camera and lot of Blackmagic shooters tend to grade warm and towards magenta. In the case of more poorly graded things, the footage is kept relatively low contrast or desaturated and a lot of both tends to be darker.

This footage has a lot of saturated blues, greens, and yellows with a lot of contrast. You can grade the original Pocket in the same way. So I don't think the look of the camera has changed in a huge way, I just think it wasn't graded in a way that many Micro and Pocket Cinema Camera shooters would and thus it looks like a huge departure in look to some people.

I'm apparently in the minority here, but when I look at some of the water shots, especially that first one with the sharp shadow on the left of the screen, I see qualities that feel familiar to me a Pocket shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTnVIDEO View Post
    "Being satisfied with whatever is thrown your way is not what I'd call a virtue."
    LMAO... straight up comedy! No doubt, but I'd hope we can both agree that patience is!

Wyatt already stated that BMD asked him specifically to shoot nature footage for the purpose of stressing the sensor. He also noted that he had very limited time with the camera. I get it, simple as that. Lets me know that I should see more footage soon.

Like everyone else I would have loved to see footage showcasing skin tones, different locations, and a variety of lighting conditions, but I'm not twisted up, and pouting thinking I wont soon see footage that does.

Soon BMD will release footage that

-Shows skin tones .
    -Has a variety of lighting conditions/times of day.
    -Shows both outdoor/location and lit scenes.
    -Shows off the dual ISO.
    -and may possibly have RAW files to download along with the footage.
    And when they do, Iíll shut it. But itís reasoble for people to express their genuine reaction to what theyíve seen, positive or otherwise.

PS - No one is saying that we wonít see more footage. Not sure where that idea came from.