Thread: polarizer filter

1. #1 polarizer filter 
    Hello,

I am buying a polarizer filter for my lenses on my UMP. But I read that if you use wide angle lenses and fast Fstops that you will get banding. Well there is no point in shooting F8 for me as I shoot low light situations around F2. But will that be a problem for me?

Kind regards

You typically use a polarizer to get rid of unwanted light from reflections. The amount of reflected light the polarizer filters varies with the angle of reflected light coming through it. A normal to telephoto lens will only have polarized light from a narrow view, if any, whereas a wide lens can have many different angles of light coming into it. The artifacts are the polarizer only being able to filter certain angles at one time. You would only typically see this kind of effect if you were using a wide angle lens with the sky filling a significant portion of the frame.

I would use a polarizer to hide reflections on say a windshield, or to bring out color and contrast in natural settings (leaves and grass reflect a lot of light), or something like a cafe where you have windows polluting the scene by bouncing off everything.

If you are in a place dark enough that you have to be at f/2 you will probably never encounter banding, and if it's dark I wonder why you would use a polarizer in the first place.

Well I do shoot during sunrises, sunsets. And if I shoot it at F8 I will see nothing. I want to use it to stop reflection on skintones and water surfaces(like sunset on the ocean).
    But if its at noon I also sometimes prefer to shoot at F2 and use ND for stylistic choice. Will the Fstop affect the banding in the sky, I often do compositions with a lot of skyroom.