Thread: Milky blacks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks guys!

I can't remember where I saw this, but are Keith and Aaron's suggestions much different from modifying the "Low" setting under Soft Clip on the curves panel? This effectively pulls the black floor clipping point, I believe. Give that it's a harder clip, I suppose it's less flexible (and maybe less organic) than manipulating a curve?

Some samples from a project I'm working on. This is already a pretty contrasty/dark shot, so it's pretty easy to see what happens to the shadows. Forgive the Imgur compression :-|

Default (Low: 50)
    Low: 60
    Low: 65
    Low: 70 (just to show a more extreme example)
    I usually don't go overboard with milky shadows/blacks, but just a hint of them can be nice.

Hey Travis- good point. The Low soft clip does petty much the same thing. Like just about anything having to do with digital image manipulation there are many ways to skin the same cat. Personally speaking I don't much like how the low clip behaves, though. I always find myself twiddling the slider and not getting the precise control I like. But for others it's the perfect tool. C' est la vie!

Yeah, it would be nice to have more precise control for the low soft via numerical input.

When milking the shadows I also like to use the luma vs saturation tool and drop the saturation in the blacks for certain looks. This also tames some of the chroma noise in the shadows when you're lifting and pulling which might have a blue or red tint depending on your white balance.

Quote Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
    When milking the shadows I also like to use the luma vs saturation tool and drop the saturation in the blacks for certain looks. This also tames some of the chroma noise in the shadows when you're lifting and pulling which might have a blue or red tint depending on your white balance.
    If the chroma noise isn't too crazy, I usually prefer tinting the blacks with the opposite color, using the shadow wheel (log wheels) and the low range setting. Desaturating is certainly one way to get true blacks, but you're also willingly removing any actual color information down there as well.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    If the chroma noise isn't too crazy, I usually prefer tinting the blacks with the opposite color, using the shadow wheel (log wheels) and the low range setting. Desaturating is certainly one way to get true blacks, but you're also willingly removing any actual color information down there as well.
    True. That's another technique that I like to use as well, but most of the time I don't have a need or want to retain any color info in the shadows unless I'm going for faded retro milk with a subtle tint, but that's just me. Sometimes a 25/75 combo of chroma and luma noise can be nice too.