Thread: Milky blacks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Milky blacks 
    Hello,

I know most of you dont like milky blacks. But I do love em. I am shooting with a UMP. But its kinda tricky getting the milky blacks on this cam, as by lifting the shadows in dark situations you will introduce the FPN. I cannot light every situation so that my blacks have information in it. Is there a way in Resolve perhaps. To cut off a range of blacks(crushed blacks) and lift the brightness without pulling up any details?

Kind regards

You could try pushing your darks down in your grade. Then add a node that uses a film look LUT. Many film look LUTs will clip out of range values on both the high and low end. Normally one works to avoid this but you might be able to exploit this tendency. Then you would add a node after that and use the low soft slider to pull the darks back up. If my hunch is correct you'll have no details on the darks cuz they got clipped out in the film look node. This is just a guess and I'm not near my work station to test this, though

Aaron Lochert

Thanks Keith, Any idea if I can check where it gets cut off in some view?

Hey Aaron, this way I would also pull up the details and FPN. Or what view is that exactly?

It shouldn't extract any more details in the blacks. Actually it should hide them even more. Simply raising the black point is going to reduce contrast. Then, adding the curve rolls off the shadows into the black point -- even less contrast in this area of the image. It should disguise noise.

It should do exactly what you wanted - crushing the blacks, but into a dark gray instead of true black.

Can you possibly supply me with a DNG frame shot in the style you're talking about?
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    It shouldn't extract any more details in the blacks. Actually it should hide them even more. Simply raising the black point is going to reduce contrast. Then, adding the curve rolls off the shadows into the black point -- even less contrast in this area of the image. It should disguise noise.

It should do exactly what you wanted - crushing the blacks, but into a dark gray instead of true black.

Can you possibly supply me with a DNG frame shot in the style you're talking about?
    OK thx, I will give it a try. Well I have only shot prores 444 so far. So I dont have a DNG atm to share.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    OK thx, I will give it a try. Well I have only shot prores 444 so far. So I dont have a DNG atm to share.
    You can grab a still and export it to a tiff or dpx to play with or a jpg for just an example

Quote Originally Posted by keithlango View Post
    You could try pushing your darks down in your grade. Then add a node that uses a film look LUT. Many film look LUTs will clip out of range values on both the high and low end. Normally one works to avoid this but you might be able to exploit this tendency. Then you would add a node after that and use the low soft slider to pull the darks back up. If my hunch is correct you'll have no details on the darks cuz they got clipped out in the film look node. This is just a guess and I'm not near my work station to test this, though
    This. First cruh the blacks. And after cruishing them raise them up again. (but Resolve will bring back data from raw... os it is kinda tricky)
    I know some luts will "turn" your blacks intor gray but the problem is that a lut is changing the whole look.
    But start with crushing the blacks, instead of lifting them.

Quote Originally Posted by keithlango View Post
    This. First cruh the blacks. And after cruishing them raise them up again. (but Resolve will bring back data from raw... os it is kinda tricky)
    I know some luts will "turn" your blacks intor gray but the problem is that a lut is changing the whole look.
    But start with crushing the blacks, instead of lifting them.

1. crush them
    2. lift them up again..

I finally had a chance to stop by my desk and test this. Both Aaron and I were correct- you can achieve the look you're after doing it either way. Aaron's method is simpler and less intrusive to the overall grading process, so I'd go with his suggestion over mine- unless you were planning on using a film look LUT in your grade anyhow.