Thread: Would you still get an URSA Mini 4K?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    I think BM could easily come up with something to rival the eva-1. Eva would of course have the dynamic range advantage though.

But take the rear 5 inch screen of the pocket 4k, put it on a flip joint on the side, ND filters, SDI, full size xlr and 2x sd 2x Cfast, run it on sony NP-F batteries, keep the amazing USB-C functionality, pocket 4k sensor, MFT mount. Aim for 2-2.5k USD with resolve studio. Keep it light and small like the eva. 2k USD leaves room for a speed booster which of course brings in the crop factor. Boom winning the indie cinema market easily.

To be honest with the current size of the "pocket" I'm not sure why this wasn't the product already. Well I do know why, pocket sells haha.
    It already has the UMP which is in line with the EVA, only the UMP has a far better image. But I guess you are just looking for a smaller camera, which I guess the pocket 4K will do.

I wont sell my UM4K even when I get pocket 4k, because it has a GLOBAL SHUTTER

Quote Originally Posted by core_50 View Post
    I wont sell my UM4K even when I get pocket 4k, because it has a GLOBAL SHUTTER
    I'm with you man.

I have 2 global shutter Blackmagic 4k cameras (one Ursa Mini, on BMPC4K) because I can do things with global shutter cameras that just don't fly on any progressive sensor.
    There's a magic to that motion cadence that just can't be faked and when I shoot 4:1 RAW (almost exclusively these days) on the UM4K, the dynamic range and flexibility surprises me all the time.
    I basically only shoot with lights with that camera though.

I love my Pocket V1 and the UM4.6K that I use too, but I can't unsee and unfeel the freedom of shooting with global shutter.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be getting a Pocket 4K, especially for when I have less control of lighting, but my love for the UM4K image will not die and might hardly even waver with the arrival of the Pocket 4K.

I can completely understand that you'll want to keep your BMD camera with global shutter. I'm doing the same with my URSA 4K, just for that reason and the big ass 10" and multiple screen, plus SDI. But if you were to get a new URSA Mini 4K today, would you get that instead of a Pocket 4K?

As jack of all trade shooter I woould not get the UM4K if I were to choose one or the other. However I find when I'm in a studio with lightings and I'm shooting a BTS of a photoshoot the way global shutter handles camera flashes is supereme over rolling shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I can completely understand that you'll want to keep your BMD camera with global shutter. I'm doing the same with my URSA 4K, just for that reason and the big ass 10" and multiple screen, plus SDI. But if you were to get a new URSA Mini 4K today, would you get that instead of a Pocket 4K?
    The Pocket 4K (on paper) looks like it's going to be fantastic camera and will probably do a great job for most types of shoots, but personally I would prefer to never do a handheld scene on a rolling shutter camera again, or a shoot from a helicopter/vehicle, or mounted to a car, or on a snorri-cam, or with police lights, or with club lights, or with camera flashes... I could go on, but I think you get the point. If you can only afford 1 camera, then pick the camera best for you, but if you want to be a jack of ALL trades shooter, you might want to have a tool on hand (even if a rental) to handle some of those situations where a rolling shutter can fail you. I think grabbing a 4K global shutter cam for anything under $2000 is an amazing deal, but that's just like... my opinion man.
    Last edited by JuMo; 04-18-2018 at 02:23 AM.

It would be smart for BMD to just have a global shutter on the Pocket 2... I know wishful thinking.