Thread: What would be the bad things about Pocket Cinema Camera 4K?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 What would be the bad things about Pocket Cinema Camera 4K? 
    On paper the Pocket Cinema Camera look prettty neat. But my experience with blackmagic is always diferrnt in practice.

They claim 25K iso but the previous camera can even go higher than 800 so i have big doubts they will be able to archive this realliscally without any sort of FPN or issues.

I’m pretty sure that canon battery won’t hold power for too long so a bulky external battery is a must.

My last one is avalability. Blackmagic doesn’t have a good reputation on keeping their promises regarding releases. A conservative expectation to have one would be at least early 2019 or even longer.

For downsides. Battery, length, slightly heavier than compition, no OLPF (might not need one, we'll see), no flip monitor, high media cost or extra cable to SSD, no weather seal, fan cooled, potentially quality control issues, potential firmware issues, no continuous auto focus, no wifi.

These downsides aren't all pocket 4k exclusive but disregarding all positives these are the downsides that come to mind

I was going to pre-order two but decide on just one. This is largely to do with QC with previous BMD cameras. Early adopters seems more likely to have a lemon but later cameras are better.
    I figure that if I bought one from an early batch and another 6 months later I can compare the two. If there is problem I can RMA it.

I'm sure there will be some quirks (like with all BM cameras) but I doubt image quality will be an issue. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger for one as a b-camera to my UM 4.6, but I'm really getting use to the excellent AF tracking on the sony & canon cameras. For a b camera, you want something small for quick shots and gimbal shots, and having a reliable AF and decent battery life is more important for me than maybe that bit of extra image quality you get with the RAW/Prores recording you get on BM.

Dual ISO. I can understand how it may work in ProRes mode, but can't get how it will work in RAW mode. If it just auto-switches in camera and baked in RAW files, we may lost that beautiful Expose flexibility available in BMMCC and other BAE/Fairchild Imaging dual gain sensors. Need more information about this.

Dynamic range. From calculations in this post http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...l=1#post247954 we can see that mathematically new Sony sensor have less dynamic range than older BAE/Fairchild Imaging sensors. But it just a theory, real life tests may be different.

I was able to find small amount of Moire and aliasing in those test jpegs. Should be more visible in RAW samples.

DC power plug socket. Really why? What was wrong with common 5.5 mm power socket used in all other BM cameras and devices? They put expensive professional grade LEMO connector to camera targeted for travelers and food photographers. It is also impossible to rotate it.

Focus and Iris buttons DIRECTLY under the thumb placement. They always be accidentally pushed when holding the camera. Check same problem reports from GH5s users.

Microphone placement DIRECTLY near the finger. It will catch every hand movement and every button press sound.

No RAW in HD cropped sensor mode?
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

There seem to be three cropped modes for Raw, Full sensor/4KDCI, UHD and HD modes all recorded in Raw, or it would not be aaaRaw, right?

Dual ISO is Dual Gain sensor, with each photositemhaving two different gain processors on them, one for low, and one for high, each gain level is given a native ISO for reference. So in Raw, you would have low or high Gain applied to the image coming from the sensor.
    Low gain is probably going to give yiu more DR than high Gain, but not sure on this. This is how the Panasonic GH5S and VariCam works.

On BM cameras, ISO settings other or different from the two native sensor values, are going to be back to changing exposure curve and meta data in Raw, as BM does not add gain other than what the sensor gives, to maintain a clean looking immaterial, from what I have seen and read.
    Cheers

My concern is that they wouldn’t answer me when I asked them if they were designing an OLPF in to the sensor stack. Moiré and aliasing are unacceptable in a camera made in 2018 and I’ll be bummed out if I have to take a pass on this. Before anyone asks, yes, the GH5s has an OLPF.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    My concern is that they wouldn’t answer me when I asked them if they were designing an OLPF in to the sensor stack. Moiré and aliasing are unacceptable in a camera made in 2018 and I’ll be bummed out if I have to take a pass on this. Before anyone asks, yes, the GH5s has an OLPF.
    I've already seen some familiar moire rainbow in the leaked stills, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    I've already seen some familiar moire rainbow in the leaked stills, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    Got a link?

There is no "downsides" or "cons" to this camera at all.

BECAUSE IT'S $1,295

It GIVES far MORE than any camera even near the price range. So by that very definition there is no "CON" because every aspect of it is a gift you will not get anywhere else.

They ALREADY answered all the "cons"... it's called the URSA Mini Pro.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine