Thread: What would be the bad things about Pocket Cinema Camera 4K?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    OLPF means your image is ALWAYS affected by the type of image degradation they inherently cause.
    To me that’s not degradation; that’s the look a sensor has when it’s conforming to its Nyquist limit in a way that prevents image artifacts. I will honestly take a well filtered image over one shot without an OLPF any day. It’s one of the reasons I’m still going to be using my D16 even though I have a 4KPCC on order...

Agree. I checked RAW samples from 4.6K in other thread few days ago. 4.6K downsampled to 1080 perfectly removes nose, but aliasing on the street wires, cables and other fine details is still visible. OLPF is must have if you shoot RAW with those cameras.
    artificial rainbow bayer artifacts feels more like real image degradation and disaster, than slight sharpness loss produced by OLPF filter.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Agree. I checked RAW samples from 4.6K in other thread few days ago. 4.6K downsampled to 1080 perfectly removes nose, but aliasing on the street wires, cables and other fine details is still visible. OLPF is must have if you shoot RAW with those cameras.
    artificial rainbow bayer artifacts feels more like real image degradation and disaster, than slight sharpness loss produced by OLPF filter.
    Hey mate, wouldn't aliasing like on street wires when starting with 4.6k material be more a result of the downsample to 1080p?
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by tyger11 View Post
    "You're shooting video with a brick wall and a subject wearing a fine patterned shirt. So you have to ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, DO ya, punk?"
    Haha! I feel VERY lucky....sometimes.

Strangely, I've never had problems with brick walls... but plenty of shirt materials, yes. But I pretty much ONLY shoot planned narrative stuff with my Blackmagics where wardrobe is controlled.
    Uncontrolled situations are what I keep all my other cameras around for (plus I'm slowly creating a museum of short-lived video cameras.)

I have really been on the fence about adding OLPFs to my BMDs... every time I'm ready to do it I come across some optical flaw that was caused BY an OLPF somewhere, much like John Brawley recently detailed.

I suppose I'll just order up a RawLight and really put it through its paces, run a few things all the way through post, and see where I come down on the whole thing.
    Lord knows I have SO MUCH killer footage I've nailed down with the BMCC and BMPCC without it. In the new world of near constant 4k+ familiarity I'm concerned about losing any more detail on the BMCC or Pockets, and I have never before ADDED sharpening to anything as I generally hate the effect.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Lord knows I have SO MUCH killer footage I've nailed down with the BMCC and BMPCC without it. In the new world of near constant 4k+ familiarity I'm concerned about losing any more detail on the BMCC or Pockets, and I have never before ADDED sharpening to anything as I generally hate the effect.
    I just finished cutting a new reel this past week and I was honestly surprised at just how much BMPCC pocket footage is in it amongst footage I've shot from Alexa, Red, F55, etc. Quite a lot and I even sold my BMPCC nearly 2 years ago.

It just makes me laugh and usually skip over a lot of these pixel peepers. I saw the same nuisance posting when I owned Nikons, and I see now from people on the Fuji boards. Spend less time worrying about silly little details and technical specs and more time shooting. You'll actually learn something useful that way.

Instead of an HDMI, can they replace it with an SDI port? Might be a bit late to request... hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Instead of an HDMI, can they replace it with an SDI port? Might be a bit late to request... hopefully not.
    yeah hear hear.

OLPF means your image is ALWAYS affected by the type of image degradation they inherently cause.
    NO OLPF means you must be aware of the types occasional situations that may cause excessive moire or aliasing.

Two different results that instill two different types of work.
    So you have to ask yourself: "How do I prefer to produce?"
    Or the flip side is

No OLPF means you get al the detail of the sensor including anything that aliases and has moire.

No OLPF means you avoid the other image artefacts can bring like, not actually always doing what they’re supposed to and eliminating moore, not being very flat and introducing other issues, introducing other random optical flares and other visual aretefcats from having an extra layer of glass in there, propbanly reduxing your windowed footage dramtically in resolution.

I could go on.

I just recently shot with OLPFs in my Ursa Mini pro. They had some issues they introduced but I’ve given the designer some feedback and hoping to get improved ones back soon.

I’m just stiring. I get it. I know people fee strongly about it. I just don’t seem to get affected as much.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
    It just makes me laugh and usually skip over a lot of these pixel peepers. I saw the same nuisance posting when I owned Nikons, and I see now from people on the Fuji boards. Spend less time worrying about silly little details and technical specs and more time shooting.
    So true.

But that's why I'm not worried about smartphones being able to replace Alexas one day. The camera will never determine a work's quality.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Or the flip side is

I just recently shot with OLPFs in my Ursa Mini pro. They had some issues they introduced but Iíve given the designer some feedback and hoping to get improved ones back soon.

Iím just stiring. I get it. I know people fee strongly about it. I just donít seem to get affected as much.

JB
    That's good news. A reputable company is designing an OLPF for the Ursa Mini?