Thread: BM Pocket 2 with Full Frame lenses - understanding crop factor

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Honestly, I still think MFT camera users are crazy for not exploring more of the native MFT lens ecosystem. Between Veydra, Olympus, and Panasonic you have some really incredible pieces of glass that really deserve more attention.

Olympus 7-14mm f2.8
    Super wide angle, fairly fast, focus clutch is so helpful. Only downside I find with this one is the downside I find with most wide angle MFT lenses; they rely on in-body correction to get proper geometry. Should be fine for 4k shooting though, especially on an oversized MFT sensor. I hear that the Panasonic 8-18mm f2.8-4.0 is a great alternative, especially if you need a filter thread.

Olympus 12-100mm f4.0
    Constant aperture, tack sharp, 8.33x zoom, weather sealing, focus clutch and image stabilization for a pretty affordable price. Probably the best travel lens I've ever owned.

Panasonic 20mm f1.7
    Small pancake, amazing contrast, and a really interesting focal length. It's my favourite lens for street photography, although sometimes it does make faces look a little weird if you get too close with it.

Veydra Mini Primes 12, 16, 25, 35, 50, 85mm @ T2.2, 19mm @ T2.6
    Consistent construction for easy swapping, terrific performance at all apertures, adaptable to all mirrorless systems, 300 degree focus throw, great support. Probably the best Kickstarter reward I'll ever get. I only own the original five lenses, but they're all spectacular and I LOVE using them. I mostly use them on my D16 and BMPCC but I can't wait to get the full benefit of mounting them on my 4KPCC in Sept.
    Last edited by Alex.Mitchell; 04-12-2018 at 02:22 AM.

People, myself included are put off by the fly-by-wire focus setup on many of the MFT lenses.

Yeah, fly-by-wire is a turn off, and the Veydras are nice but they're slow-ish and the MFT mount on most cameras has way too much flex for how damped the focus rings are. Doing any sort of fast focus pull would shake the image too much for me when I had the set with a BMCC.

I always felt that the beauty of MFT was to use just about everything but MFT lenses. Then the speedboosters came along and shook the game up even further that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrossjones View Post
    except for a 4.6k ursa mini with a speedbooster in its mount. Thats very close to full frame canon wise.
    I've been out of the Blackmagic world for a bit, is that a readily available product? I remember someone testing a prototype. Cool if so.
    Aaron Lochert

Quote Originally Posted by LochnessDigital View Post
    With the Pocket 2 you should be able to use the XL speedbooster, if you stick to full frame lenses and not any APS-C lenses.
    Thanks Aaron. Why not APS-C lenses? Which SB works for both FF and APS-C? I have both type of lenses I'd like to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    Honestly, I still think MFT camera users are crazy for not exploring more of the native MFT lens ecosystem. Between Veydra, Olympus, and Panasonic you have some really incredible pieces of glass that really deserve more attention.

Olympus 7-14mm f2.8
    Super wide angle, fairly fast, focus clutch is so helpful. Only downside I find with this one is the downside I find with most wide angle MFT lenses; they rely on in-body correction to get proper geometry. Should be fine for 4k shooting though, especially on an oversized MFT sensor. I hear that the Panasonic 8-18mm f2.8-4.0 is a great alternative, especially if you need a filter thread.

Olympus 12-100mm f4.0
    Constant aperture, tack sharp, 8.33x zoom, weather sealing, focus clutch and image stabilization for a pretty affordable price. Probably the best travel lens I've ever owned.

Panasonic 20mm f1.7
    Small pancake, amazing contrast, and a really interesting focal length. It's my favourite lens for street photography, although sometimes it does make faces look a little weird if you get too close with it.

Veydra Mini Primes 12, 16, 25, 35, 50, 85mm @ T2.2, 19mm @ T2.6
    Consistent construction for easy swapping, terrific performance at all apertures, adaptable to all mirrorless systems, 300 degree focus throw, great support. Probably the best Kickstarter reward I'll ever get. I only own the original five lenses, but they're all spectacular and I LOVE using them. I mostly use them on my D16 and BMPCC but I can't wait to get the full benefit of mounting them on my 4KPCC in Sept.
    Add here Laowa 7.5mm f/2
    Meike 6.5mm f2 fisheye
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    People, myself included are put off by the fly-by-wire focus setup on many of the MFT lenses.
    If you're talking follow focus, yes but that's about it with the good lenses mentioned above.
    Obvioulsy lenses like the Veydras are full cine.

I'm a manual focus guy and won't deal with focus by wire thing but that's not what the Olympus Pro lenss are about, which is what makes them great for a camera like this.
    If you want to use push AF in a pinch (great option) you've got an AF lens but pull back the focus clutch and you have a very nicely damped focus ring with stops. Again not for Follow focus but great.

And I go back to the point that BM is showing the Pocket2 always with the Oly 12-40mm on it. It's not mentioned above but is probably their best lens on the market - perfect range of FL, wide to protrait, 2.8, built like a tank, weathersealed and sharp as a tack - even more so than the Sigma 18-35mm

Bottom line is we use both - large primes and zooms like the Sigmas and a kit full of great MFT glass as well.

Also, the older Olympus Pro 14-35 f-2.0 Four Thirds Zoom has real manual focus I. Addition to AF, has a very special cine like IQ and is parfocal. While a little in the large size, with a 77mm filter ring, it is one of the best MFT/FT zooms available. Works well with a FF too.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Also, the older Olympus Pro 14-35 f-2.0 Four Thirds Zoom has real manual focus I. Addition to AF, has a very special cine like IQ and is parfocal. While a little in the large size, with a 77mm filter ring, it is one of the best MFT/FT zooms available. Works well with a FF too.
    Cheers
    Great lens in every way.
    The only reason I don't have it now is the Sigma 18-35mm, which it's similar to in size/weight speed and IQ.

Yes, I picked this lens over the Sigma, which looked over sharp to me, and had more morie issues with the Pocket/Micro Cameras.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Thanks Aaron. Why not APS-C lenses? Which SB works for both FF and APS-C? I have both type of lenses I'd like to use.
    The 0.71x should work. The 0.64x ones will reveal vignetting on some APS-C lenses that can't cover fully the "effective" sensor area. The diagonal of the Pocket 4K is nearly the same as the diagonal dimension of the GH5 sensor, and Metabones is saying "On GH5, Speed Booster XL can be used with full frame lenses only."

That said, the Pocket's effective sensor width with the 0.64x booster being nearly 30mm wide is very very similar to RED Helium, which I own. So, from experience, means something like the Sigma 18-35 should theoretically cover at about 21mm and upwards. A Tokina 11-16 should cover at 12-13mm-ish and above. So even though they're APS-C lenses, you might still find some functionality and useability. But if you want to avoid vignetting entirely, it's probably best to stick with the FF coverage lenses when using the 0.64x booster on the Pocket 4K.
    Aaron Lochert