Thread: Value of the Micro Cinema Camera now that there is a Pocket 2?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Value of the Micro Cinema Camera now that there is a Pocket 2? 
    What do you guys think, will a micro cinema camera still be worth owning after the pocket 2 is released? Will the micro price drop?
    And even on a production, when would you choose a micro over a pocket 2?
    Last edited by rbroho; 04-07-2018 at 04:15 PM.

It will still have value as a crash cam and lightweight gimbal work. Wouldn't be surprised if they release a new model with whatever sensor the Pocket 4K has in the near future.

Got bmmcc only because of absence of 60p on pocket. Now I will probably sell mine.

Something tells me pocket 2 is going to be considerably larger than pocket 1.

Did anyone literally put the Pocket Cinema Camera in their pocket on a shoot?

Blackmagic will decide that with their plans for pricing and their product lineup. But as for the true value, what is it worth to you? The camera body is a relatively small part of the whole equation anyway, so I’m not too concerned about that. I also still think 1080p has a lot of value. I own an FS7 and an a6500, but I still think the Pocket’s raw footage is overall superior (and easier to expose for) taking everything into account. Sure, 4K (especially downsampled from 6K) is amazing, but resolution isn’t everything— especially when almost ALL content is is still delivered in super lossy 1080 60i. Netflix is the only source that I consistently see near Blu-ray level video quality. While I’ve bought into 4K, and can definitely see the difference in both resolution and color, high quality HDR delivery and consumer adoption is a long way off (unfortunately). I would absolutely prefer high quality 1080p to whatever Comcast thinks 4K should look like. ��

BMMCC is too different form factor to compare. If they add ProRes RAW to new BMMCC firmware it became more popular than before.
    Pocket 4K is not a pocket anymore. From leaked images and banners it looks like bulky DSLR camera not too friendly for rigging.
    For me personally dynamic range is the main question, not 4k.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

I completely love my Micro camera, despite the quirks (Same was true for the Pocket while mine lasted). The way I have mine rigged up, it literally looks like a "mini" Ursa Mini. Personally, I could care less about 4K video for my corporate work. Everything I put out doesn't need to be the highest resolution because that's not what is important. Hell, everything could be shot on a phone and it would still sell the same. For me, HD is more than enough with the cheap media and (comparatively speaking) small RAW file size.

However, if the form factor and connections are improved and the number and quality of external outputs is somehow increased, I very well may jump on this system! Any improvement is a good improvement in my book, 4K or not! Variety allows a greater freedom of choice, and who could hate that?

I cannot imagine it will change my view of my Micro, but def my pocket cam, obviously.
    Tyler Jordan
    http://www.theartoftylerjordan.com

Photographer - DP - Studio Manager

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleCanFly View Post
    I completely love my Micro camera, despite the quirks (Same was true for the Pocket while mine lasted). The way I have mine rigged up, it literally looks like a "mini" Ursa Mini. Personally, I could care less about 4K video for my corporate work. Everything I put out doesn't need to be the highest resolution because that's not what is important. Hell, everything could be shot on a phone and it would still sell the same. For me, HD is more than enough with the cheap media and (comparatively speaking) small RAW file size.

However, if the form factor and connections are improved and the number and quality of external outputs is somehow increased, I very well may jump on this system! Any improvement is a good improvement in my book, 4K or not! Variety allows a greater freedom of choice, and who could hate that?
    BM could have released a Pocket years ago with improved HDMI connection, better screen, no IR crud, LUTs, and better audio but to do so would essentially admit that the original pocket was a POS with amazing IQ.