Thread: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K Camera

Page 17 of 118 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paragram View Post
    I never understood why frame rates above 30p are so important to many people. Are they all shooting Michael Bay movies? ;-) (I'm seriously curious to hear answers, the question is not meant as flamebait.)
    Having HFR is extremely desirable for numerous creative reasons, but I've been doing a few Tastemade videos lately where I do a lot of 'action' shots that I shoot between 36 to 60FPS and speed ramp it in post to make it more dynamic looking, but it's pretty essential for stuff like liquids being poured or being drizzled on something. And I like to use it tastefully in narrative and music videos, it's a powerful story-telling element.

I'd be more than happy with 60 at 1080, doesn't bother me if it's not at 4K. If this camera can replace my UM4K for these types of jobs I'd be flipping ecstatic.

Quote Originally Posted by paragram View Post
    I never understood why frame rates above 30p are so important to many people. Are they all shooting Michael Bay movies? ;-) (I'm seriously curious to hear answers, the question is not meant as flamebait.)
    I do documentary, and I would use it to shoot broll, everything is more stable when you slow it down. I would use it to follow people Chef's table style, because it is cool and something that is visually different. I'd use the crap out of it. Even shooting people at their desk banging it out on their keyboards is more interesting. I thought like you during the fs700 days and was surprised how much more interesting/cool/visually interesting slow mo was, even in Documentary. Would I use it during a verite moment, no , but I'd use it to set a mood.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Vimeo

ok Blackmagic. Take my money.

Pocket-Cinema-Camera-4K.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by stip View Post
    Seriously? You are complaining?! What the FUCK is wrong with people?!
    A question alot of us keep asking ourselves during these times.

For real though...we all wanted this for so long...who cares what it looks like.

We all know this camera will be amazing as all BM cameras always are in different ways.

Going by the leaked picture the sensor looked larger than the one used in the original Pocket. It looks like it extends further to the mount edges than the BMPCC. And Blackmagic doesn’t seem to have a problem using an arbitrarily sized sensor. It could have a crop ratio of 1.83 to 1 and Metabones, et al. would create a SB to bring it to a S35 equivalent.

For the record I hope it stays the same size at S16, but I also can’t imagine a 4x improvement in sensor capability over the original sensor. Maybe 2-3x max, but 4x? Idk. The Pocket isn’t targeted at the most resolution-obsessed buyers. It has always been quality (i.e. DR, bit depth, color performance) over anything else. In any case however, it’ll be interesting to see what this strangely shaped object turns out to be. I’m excited.

My guess, it's got the 4" touch screen from the UMPro.

Quote Originally Posted by TBreeden View Post
    Going by the leaked picture the sensor looked larger than the one used in the original Pocket. It looks like it extends further to the mount edges than the BMPCC. And Blackmagic doesn’t seem to have a problem using an arbitrarily sized sensor. It could have a crop ratio of 1.83 to 1 and Metabones, et al. would create a SB to bring it to a S35 equivalent.

For the record I hope it stays the same size at S16, but I also can’t imagine a 4x improvement in sensor capability over the original sensor. Maybe 2-3x max, but 4x? Idk. The Pocket isn’t targeted at the most resolution-obsessed buyers. It has always been quality (i.e. DR, bit depth, color performance) over anything else. In any case however, it’ll be interesting to see what this strangely shaped object turns out to be. I’m excited.

Maybe a slightly bigger than s16 sensor. A 1". Canon uses that size in their xc 15.

Just guessing but that is a bit too heavy duty to be an on/off switch. More like a lever to disengage something. Situated close to what look like an EVF it could mean a detachable EVF and an option to slot in a LCD screen in its place?
    Last edited by Taikonaut; 04-08-2018 at 01:24 AM.

It might just look like the XC15... Or something similar to that form factor.

BTW, with all the speculations, is this going to be 4K DCI or just UHD? I hope it's DCI to 60fps.
    Last edited by EYu; 04-08-2018 at 12:25 AM.