Thread: Helios "anamorphic"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Helios "anamorphic" 
    Hey guys,

Anyone tried one of the Iron Glass "anamorphic" Helios lenses on BMD cameras? More specifically with the Ursa Mini 4.6k. I was wondering if it would be a good match. The footage I've seen is probably some of the best anamorphic emulation in the market...

Thanks

I think any glass is a good match for the Ursa Mini 4.6k. I have the 37mm, 58mm, 85mm spherical versions and they're great for specific projects. I have a EF mount so you just need a M42 to EF adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I think any glass is a good match for the Ursa Mini 4.6k. I have the 37mm, 58mm, 85mm spherical versions and they're great for specific projects. I have a EF mount so you just need a M42 to EF adapter.
    Although what you said is true with Spherical lenses, I'm not sure this answers or relates to David's question.

The lenses mentioned are spherical lens as well. They just have a faux anamorphic adaptation with a oval aperture and internal color tinting. My point was why wouldn't they look good?

Jon, why did you say that you use yours for specific projects? Do they have a particular look baked in?

Thanks

They have a beautiful vintage look and they have great flares and character. The bokeh is very textured in a good way especially in the 58mm. However I noticed they flare quite easily and compared to my Nikon AIS they don't hold up as well in high contrast situations like a more modern lens would. They are also a little softer. So maybe not good for clean and sharp projects but great for narrative and music videos where you want to take the edge off the digital look. I'd recommend them if they're not too expensive. The m42 mount is adaptable to nearly any camera so they're versatile. I looked up the Iron Glass Mod and love their look. Going back to what I said earlier, I just meant the Ursa Mini 4.6k is a beautiful camera and I was just praising it by saying any lens would look good if not better on it.

Thanks for all the info Jon! I love the look of older and softer lenses on the ultra sharp 4.6k sensor. Everyone raves about the 44-2 58mm. I have to own that lens...

I'm curious with the anamorphic versions aswell. I have the 37mm and the 58mm (spherical) and I like them a lot. My 37mm is a little bit funky, with soft contrast, raised blacks and noticeable vignetting. I do use them with a sony a7s tough and never used the ursa, so don't know about that. The 58mm I really like it.

If you are referring to the Mir 1-B 37mm f2.8, its quite nice on the UMP46, no vignetting for sure and it takes the digital 'bite' off the sensor.
    Switch your A7S to APS-C/Super-35 and you can get an idea how it'll feels.

The unadapted and faux anamorphic Iron Glass versions cover the Ursa Mini 4.6k S35 sensor no problem. I regularly use the 37, 58, 85 Russian lenses specifically for their flare and vintage quality. Has anyone tried the 20 and 28 Mir lenses? They're next on my list but don't buy them on Ebay! I'm looking too . It seems a great set would be the Mir 20, 28, 37, Helios 58, Helios 85, Tair 135mm. You can buy the 2x anamorphic aperture discs from Tito Ferradans on Ebay. He shows you how to tint your lens to your liking and he also has a full anamorphic adaptation tutorial with each lens on his YouTube account.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tferradans

https://www.ebay.com/usr/tferradans?...p2047675.l2559