Thread: Low light 4.6K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Low light 4.6K 
    Hello,

I often shoot a lot of moody stuff, but with the UMP I rather avoid those situations as Im afraid of FPN.
    I just came accross this video.
    https://vimeo.com/253394534 and this looks light it was also shot quite in low light. But wondering how the UMP would perform under similar conditions, as a lot of seems to be lit by practicals. I know its hard to judge.

But I have shot low light stuff with a 50mm 1.4 lens at F1.4 lit by a 1K LED full power(trough a RED gel) and trough some pattern in prores HQ 444 and I needed to add a lot of contrast in post. I should do some tests and light with practicals and shoot in RAW 3:1 so I can share some DNG's.

Can this be even done on the big URSA 4K with native ISO 400 with a 50mm T1.5 lens to have the most DR possible and reduce the possibility of causing FPN? I'm interested to know how others have done this with this camera.
    Last edited by EYu; 01-30-2018 at 05:45 PM.

It looks fairly low light but they're not afraid to let black be black either, it's also fairly high contrast. I can't see why this would be a problem for any camera. Just about every film we've ever seen has been shot at 800ISO or below.

That video looks grainy and underexposed already. Yes. The UMP can definitely do that. (LOL)
    The URSAs are about average in low-light conditions. Yes, full-frame sensor cameras do better by design, and some Canon S35 cameras seem to do better too, but really it's all about your technique. Like anything else, you have to LEARN how to get good looking shots in low light conditions.
    And as Howie just said, don't be afraid to let black be black.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

It is one of those "choose your battles wisely" things as in learning the limitations of the camera, what you can do to mitigate them and living within the camera's means. This clip was shot with a 20mm f2.8 Sigma-for-Nikon lens on a big URSA in a large shed. The light source was daylight spill through an approx 4M x 4M sliding door and some sun reflection from a painted wall behind the camera. The shutter was set at its longest setting for a 25P frame rate. The lens iris was set at f2.8 to avoid the lens's softness wide open.

Last edited by Robert Hart; 01-31-2018 at 04:30 AM. Reason: error

6. #6 Low light 
    Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    Hello,

I often shoot a lot of moody stuff, but with the UMP I rather avoid those situations as Im afraid of FPN.
    I just came accross this video.
    https://vimeo.com/253394534 and this looks light it was also shot quite in low light. But wondering how the UMP would perform under similar conditions, as a lot of seems to be lit by practicals. I know its hard to judge.

But I have shot low light stuff with a 50mm 1.4 lens at F1.4 lit by a 1K LED full power(trough a RED gel) and trough some pattern in prores HQ 444 and I needed to add a lot of contrast in post. I should do some tests and light with practicals and shoot in RAW 3:1 so I can share some DNG's.
    Not sure if this helps but I shot this the other night for a friend of mine. Its all natural because we shot it all in a few hours. Vimeo compression inst great but hopefully it will be of some use.

https://vimeo.com/253129692/20537fdd39

Yeah I dont need any ISO higher then 800 - 1600. I dont mind some noise, or dark images, but I do mind that dreaded FPN. Its limiting my shooting style, as in occasions I am afraid to shoot in those conditions because FPN will come out to play. This is the main problem with the 4.6K camera's atm. BM please sort this out. As I am thinking about moving to a scarlet-w, so I can just shoot in low/no light conditions.

I own a ursa mini 4.6k and from my experience, you can get away with low light. It just depends on what exactly you'll try to do in post with the footage. If the purpose is to lift the shadows and make it look as if it's brighter than what it really was, then you'll have a hard time trying to do that. But if the purpose is to let the blacks go with little detail and let everything else stay as is and with little saturation, you can actually get very decent results. I was able to get some very good results after sunset, letting my footage go dark and with low saturation. Just don't try to make it look brighter as if it was shot with perfect lighting
    Last edited by david evans; 02-13-2018 at 04:05 PM.

I did some lowlight in 2016, when the UM4.6 was delivered. https://youtu.be/-c-gySoUiTo
    I was surprised how well it got. There is no correction done in post. Just 1:1 Apple ProRES 422 (Video) out of camera into FCPX.
    And we only used the candles, thats why we couldn't do lightning from above.

Any tips on applying grain on dark footage? I allways add grain to my footage to make it more film like. But the grain automatically seems to lift the blacks.