Thread: What happened to this lens contact pin on my Ursa Mini 4k?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What happened to this lens contact pin on my Ursa Mini 4k? 
    I just purchased my first Blackmagic Design camera - the Ursa Mini 4k. When inspecting the lens mount I noticed that one of the contact pins appears to be melted or something.

https://imgur.com/yUeFnZG
    https://imgur.com/2ZubBYn

As far as I can tell there aren't any issues; I tested it with the Sigma 18-35 and everything seems normal.

Should I still be concerned? Was this a manufacturing defect?

I purchased this secondhand from eBay, can I still get manufacturer support?

The warranty is linked to the serial number, quote it to BM support and they'll say if it's still under warranty.

If it works then eh, but I'd keep an eye on it. Seems to be almost contacting the other pin. Which could be an issue down the line.

Try an IS lens.

The pin has overextended due to wear or misfit and has been caught and bent over by a lens being mounted. Whilst the connection may be still working, it is probably not a matter of if but when it eventually wobbles in the hole and touches the neighbouring conductor. Then the worst outcome may be a bricked camera or a bricked lens or less traumatically, autofocus and/or auto-exposure functions via the lens iris going MIA. I would not leave it for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    The pin has overextended due to wear or misfit and has been caught and bent over by a lens being mounted. Whilst the connection may be still working, it is probably not a matter of if but when it eventually wobbles in the hole and touches the neighbouring conductor. Then the worst outcome may be a bricked camera or a bricked lens or less traumatically, autofocus and/or auto-exposure functions via the lens iris going MIA. I would not leave it for too long.
    Wow, I didn't think about it like that. Unfortunately I purchased it secondhand on eBay and Blackmagic told me it's out of warranty. Has anyone had repairs done through the company? Any idea what it might cost?

You might be able to bend it up straight with a magnifier to look through and tweezers but the likelyhood is the pin may snap off at the fold point. There will also be a miniature spring inside of a hollow pin or behind a solid pin. Chances are if the pin snaps off, the remaining piece may eject from the hole completely or ride high in the hole without enough shank support and again rock towards the neighbouring pin.

Other users who comment here may be better to advise you. The pin holder and pin assembly may itself be available as a part from BM but they seem to hold their intellectual property close near and dear. There are two hex key screws securing it to the body. Those two hex screws will have locktighted threads and a dog to crack and unscrew. They are generally not tightened down hard onto plastic components or those components may split open at the screwholes. Use a correctly sized hex key tool and both push-in and tilt slightly in the hole the hex end so that all surfaces and points are engaged or the thing may slip and strip the hex out of the inside of the screw head.

That corrugated cone screws out fairly easily with probably no more then two thumbs turning it. That may reveal a ribbon cable pass-through from the camera body to the pinholder. If you are in luck, the ribbon cable may be a tail on the pinholder assembly and plugged to the body in an accessable place uncovered by the removed cone. If you are out of luck, a ribbon cable may be coming through from in the guts behind somewhere and not able to be got at without significant dismantlement of the camera in a clean room.

Wait for somebody else to contribute to this discussion as I am guessing because I may be completely wrong.

Right now you have a couple options that are going to disappear if you start wrenching on the camera yourself.

Full refund. Ebay doesn't play, if the camera was not in the described condition it is pretty easy to get a refund if the item was not in the "described condition".

Partial refund. Contact the seller and say hey, this isn't in the condition described, I want a partial refund to cover the repair costs.

I agree with Robert that the repair is probably simple, everything should be accessible from right there at the mount. It's sourcing the parts and potential for doing more harm than good that presents the real difficulty.

Good Luck

Slightly off-topic. There is a speedbooster adaptor by an Italian guy. I think it is for the EF model of the URSA Mini. It may just be that this accessory connects to the camera's lens control wiring. I thought it might have had a new pinholder as part of the kit but checked and it does not, at least not so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNNCZ_C424U

An URSA Mini owner Patrick Acum has recently received one as has been testing it.

If you are on the facebook, here is a link to the URSA users page. Scroll down to reach Patrick Acum's post.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UrsaCam/
    Last edited by Robert Hart; 01-27-2018 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks for the advice everyone. In case someone else runs into a similar situation, I sent BMD support the images of my problem. They said they showed it to some tech folk and it sounds like the repair costs fall around $100. I also contacted the seller who was supportive in saying they'd cover repair costs. Sounds like I'm in an okay position, just need BMD to get back to me on how to follow through with shipping the camera to them for repairs.

BMCuser Sponsor
    Did you get the repair estimate in writing? $100 is very low for any camera repair.

You'll likely be past Ebay's return window when the camera repair has been completed in 2-4 weeks.

If it were me, i'd likely return the camera unless i got a smoking deal.

Got my camera back. Paid $100 flat for labor and everything looks as it should now! I shipped it out Tuesday, February 06 and picked it up from FedEx yesterday, Monday, February 26. Good luck to anyone else in this situation.