Thread: Ursa Mini 4K vs. Sony A7s ii vs. waiting...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    I dont see much difference here in real world tests in regards to sharpness. Lowlight there is a HUGE difference though.
    GH5s compare to GH5 from that site. But have no idea what sharpness settings they use in both samples.

And here is crop from my personal BMMCC RAW tests with Mosaic OLPF done with DIY printed chart and not too sharp 50mm vintage Yashica lens. Contrast 1.2 applied, Sharpen 0.47
    Last edited by shijan; 01-18-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Sohara...whats your budget?
    Well depending on lenses - I'd say $1-2k for a set of primes.. or a zoom. I know that's not much but to start.

Then $5K roughly for a built out (or usable) camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    GH5 or GH5S vs Sony A7XX is a reasonable comparison. Comparing any DSLR to an Ursa Mini is comparing apples to donuts. If you need standard IO like SDI or XLR you're never going to get it with a DSLR, likewise you're not going to get an Ursa on a one handed gimbal or shoot 2000 ISO. There is so little difference between cameras these days, it's far more about shooting style, features, and what works for you than it is IQ.
    Totally. I wish I could have both. Haha. The last two projects I've done I shot with a RED Epic/Dragon. I've gotten used to a more cinematic look, requiring better lighting set-ups, etc. I do love the low light of the DSLR types, since sometimes smaller budget shoots won't be ideal. But obviously there's tradeoffs as you stated.

Regarding the GH5(s) and crop factor... does anyone know how wide you can get on it (using non micro four thirds lenses)? Going back to the investing in some lenses I can use down the road for larger sensor cameras or on different projects. I read that the crop factor roughly doubles the lens, not sure if that's true, but that would make a 24mm full frame lens a 50mm on the GH5?
    Last edited by sohara24; 01-18-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sohara24 View Post
    Well depending on lenses - I'd say $1-2k for a set of primes.. or a zoom. I know that's not much but to start.

Then $5K roughly for a built out (or usable) camera.
    Oh ok...the ursa mini 4.6k set up I specced out is about 1k more than your 7k total. (but prob totally worth it )
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    GH5s compare to GH5 from that site. But have no idea what sharpness settings they use in both samples.

And here is crop from my personal BMMCC RAW tests with Mosaic OLPF done with DIY printed chart and not too sharp 50mm vintage Yashica lens. Contrast 1.2 applied, Sharpen 0.47
    From what I've seen I think the GH5s has an OLPF where the Gh5 doesn't, I think I remember seeing in one of the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    From what I've seen I think the GH5s has an OLPF where the Gh5 doesn't, I think I remember seeing in one of the videos.
    Almost positive that no one uses an OLPF on those 16-20MP 4/3 sensors. Remember, if that was full frame it'd be 80MP, so the photosite density is pretty high. At those kinds of densities you're really hamstringing the sensor's ability to resolve detail--the lens is usually the limiting reagent at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    Almost positive that no one uses an OLPF on those 16-20MP 4/3 sensors. Remember, if that was full frame it'd be 80MP, so the photosite density is pretty high. At those kinds of densities you're really hamstringing the sensor's ability to resolve detail--the lens is usually the limiting reagent at that point.
    GH5s is a 10mp sensor though.

RAW+Prores versus H264 8-Bit Depth.

It's honestly a no-brainer for me for that alone. Also, I think the UM4K is capable of much better images than the GH5. As someone said before, you can push the camera far (though not as much as a the 4.6K sensor) if you grab gray scale charts to make Neat Video NR profiles. Hell, NV4.0 provides really good results when you just let it auto-tune most of the time. Of course, you need the resources to do a lot of NR is the downside.

A longtime Pocket owner/fan, I just bought a GH5 AND a used Micro Cinema Camera. I've been doing shootouts with them, and also with my buddy's recently purchased URSA Mini 4K (not 4.6K). My opinions on the results?

The least impressive (to me) has been the URSA Mini 4K. Nasty highlight rolloff, very limited dynamic range. Personally, I was not very impressed.

GH5 in 4K at 400mbp/s in VLOG is DYNAMITE. I was blown away by how much dynamic range was there, maybe only 1 stop less than the Micro. Also, astonishingly easy to use, and the in-body stabilization means you can shoot handheld with classic glass and anamorphics. Plus, viewable LUTS, touch-to-rack-focus, and on and on and on...

That said, the Micro still has the edge in color depth and richness, has that extra 1 stop, and has a very "cinematic" feel to its footage. But it's an older type of cinematic aesthetic, it looks like classic 16mm film, which I love... but the GH5 give a WAY more "modern" look - brilliantly detailed, and sharp sharp sharp. Two very different "looks".

I will definitely need to buy that OLPF for the Micro though - Good God the moire is INSANE. But there's a fix for it, it'll just cost me $300. FYI, all told, between everything I had to add to the Micro to get up and running (monitor, cage, handle, One Little Remote Lite, cables), I'd say a non-used Micro and a new GH5 with VLOG would come in at roughly the same price point, $2,100.

My choice would be between the GH5 and the Micro, just spend some time on Vimeo and see which image you like better...

P.S. keep in mind that the Micro will take a lot of research and time to get up and running and used to shooting with. The GH5 you can be shooting with 30 seconds out of the box.
    Last edited by Flabasha; 01-18-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    GH5s is a 10mp sensor though.
    Exactly, which is why I was talking about the GH5.