Thread: Ursa Mini 4K vs. Sony A7s ii vs. waiting...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sohara24 View Post
    Wow - what a difference. I think regardless of whether I go for the Mini 4K or Micro Cinema, I'm going to get that OLPF. Just watched their video tests on Vimeo.
    So huge difference only with RAW files. ProRes do well in-camera moire reduction and usable as is but image slightly softer. There are few dedicated threads in this forum with lot of samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    Haha, damnit Shijan! Quit showing off your amazing BMMCC kit! It's giving me ideas...
    Micro Camera is waiting for you, you can not resist

I've used the a7sii and I like it's lowlight quite a bit. Though the color information loss as you go higher is a bit of a drag.

Mini 4K renders gorgeous imagery given it's limitations.
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

I was considering the GH5s for a while, but am a little hesitant due to some reviews I've watched. Basically if I go that route I'd probably wait and see what Sony came out with for the A7s iii. Since the GH5s uses a Sony sensor?

I feel like I wanted a more narrative/cinema centric camera, ie BM vs still photography. Though I'm actually cutting some GH4 stuff right now for a project. It has some beautiful colors even via some presets that I believe were used... But I still feel going that route I'm sort of cheating myself in terms of what I want to practice/improve on. Cinema lighting and handling set-ups the appropriate way vs. getting cameras with sensitive lighting and cutting corners... That's just my rational, you can still light a scene correctly with any camera.

Probably the biggest factor here would be what camera would require me to buy less add-ons and fixes (external recorders, etc) to get it to the 4K, high res, full frame space I'm trying to get to without spending $10K. It'd be nice to get a body and be able to put some of that extra money into a nice set of lenses that I could grow with (into larger more expensive cinema cameras) as I progress.

Quote Originally Posted by sohara24 View Post
    I was considering the GH5s for a while, but am a little hesitant due to some reviews I've watched. Basically if I go that route I'd probably wait and see what Sony came out with for the A7s iii. Since the GH5s uses a Sony sensor?

I feel like I wanted a more narrative/cinema centric camera, ie BM vs still photography. Though I'm actually cutting some GH4 stuff right now for a project. It has some beautiful colors even via some presets that I believe were used... But I still feel going that route I'm sort of cheating myself in terms of what I want to practice/improve on. Cinema lighting and handling set-ups the appropriate way vs. getting cameras with sensitive lighting and cutting corners... That's just my rational, you can still light a scene correctly with any camera.

Probably the biggest factor here would be what camera would require me to buy less add-ons and fixes (external recorders, etc) to get it to the 4K, high res, full frame space I'm trying to get to without spending $10K. It'd be nice to get a body and be able to put some of that extra money into a nice set of lenses that I could grow with (into larger more expensive cinema cameras) as I progress.
    4k is a tough one since it's always going to cost more, more hd space, cfast cards, better computer. But atm the best bet would be a speed boosted GH5s if your looking to save money and would be good with a non raw camera. Otherwise you'd need to drop down to 1080p raw like the micro but that needs addons. If you can wait for the As7iii but chances are it's gonna be 8bit internal. Gh5s will give you the best all in one, no addons package. The screen is good, the evf is great and we have to see once people get them and test it how the image really is but atm the colours look really nice down sampling from the 14bit sensor plus you have the UHD 4k at 400bmps.

or what you can do if you want raw and a beautiful image (which is operator dependent) is open up your options, at the moment you are limiting yourself with only two models of cameras, there are much more options to choose from then just these two. The original Bmcc 2.5 k camera is absolutely beautiful so is the production 4k camera, and they are dirt cheap now. So if you want more then hd there you go. Each one of these cameras we mentioned here are great tools, and in the right hands a betacam can look fantastic no matter what. Now are there differences between all of these fine cameras and a beta cam? absolutely! but do you really need those differences? are your skills so good that your 4k image will be shown in a proper 4k cinema? do you ever find yourself cropping in post? what are you going to do with all of that extra resolution that your audience is going to cry that whatever it is you just shown them is not 4k? Anyone of these cameras will do the job including the 4k mini. There is nothing wrong with that camera my friend, if you feel you can tell stories on it then by all means go ahead. It's wonderful, it can record an image, it's clear, it's 4k, it's sold in stores, and all it needs is a storyteller to pick it up and watch how fast an audience doesn't give a damn what you shot with.

Grab any camera, it seems you got some stories you are burning to tell, quit this forum, and don't engage in which camera is better talks, it will only take time away from you making your film. Come to this group or similar kinds when you run into a technical issue at least at that point its not a waste it's productive. Happy film making

Ryanite - thanks for the info on the GH5s. Yeah I'll have to keep an eye out for reviews and what people are saying about the image... So far from what I've seen, it looks pretty nice.

Directordevin - Good advice! I've had those exact thoughts when looking at more expensive cameras, and what I'm going to be using it for. I think its definitely easy to get lost in researching tech specs and so on, and forgetting about what makes something engaging and watchable... the story. So I totally agree! But I do what to make sure I don't throw money away, and since I've graduated from the cheap, student-film type projects a while ago, I'd like to continue to improve the quality of my films/projects and also my technical skills (which are lacking in this department). Also if I hire out (for a DP), I'll have a camera that can deliver (as you mentioned above they all can in the right hands), a nice image... with the least possible complications (add-ons, etc).

Technology changes so quickly with these cameras year to year it's crazy. I remember the last time I bought a camera it was one of the last standard def Panasonics... since I didn't do any due diligence, the first HD cams came out less than a year later or something ridiculous. That sucked... haha.. This is probably leftover anxiety from that purchase wanting to gather as much info as I can before dropping the money.

Thanks again everyone - huge help.

Sohara...whats your budget?
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

From test charts posted on slashcam.de https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/News...-Vo.html#Bildq it seems GH5s it don't have that crazy oversharpened look when shooting video compare to other GH models. So if $2.5 fits to your budget, you need compressed 4K and ready to use camera go for GH5s.
    P.S. Can't wait to grab some unprocessed V-Log samples somewhere online to check how far it can be graded.
    Last edited by shijan; 01-17-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    From test charts posted on slashcam.de https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/News...-Vo.html#Bildq it seems GH5s it don't have that crazy oversharpened look when shooting video compare to other GH models. So if $2.5 fits to your budget, you need compressed 4K and ready to use camera go for GH5s.
    P.S. Can't wait to grab some unprocessed V-Log samples somewhere online to check how far it can be graded.
    I dont see much difference here in real world tests in regards to sharpness. Lowlight there is a HUGE difference though.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

GH5 or GH5S vs Sony A7XX is a reasonable comparison. Comparing any DSLR to an Ursa Mini is comparing apples to donuts. If you need standard IO like SDI or XLR you're never going to get it with a DSLR, likewise you're not going to get an Ursa on a one handed gimbal or shoot 2000 ISO. There is so little difference between cameras these days, it's far more about shooting style, features, and what works for you than it is IQ.