Thread: BMMCC assigning level control to 'line-in' vs microphone via s-bus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BMMCC assigning level control to 'line-in' vs microphone via s-bus? 
    I have one of Phil's lite remotes and was wondering if it is possible to get the audio to change the line in (external mic) level vs. the camera's internal microphone via the s-bus control?

TIA

Not sure, I think when yiu set the camera to line level input, the camera sets the level at Unity +4Db, and you can not change it via the camera menu or SBus, that is how the Ursa Mini Pro works, and I have been unable to control line level audio with Kim’s original SBus Remote. I have not tried Phil’s OLG Remote with line level.

Unity is a pro line level inout standard, any level changes in the audio would be via the preamp you connected to the camera, so it is not necessary to adjust Gain in Camera, as yiu would be additional g amplification and raising the noise level too.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 01-15-2018 at 06:47 PM.

To ad onto this, you need to be using mic high or mic low for an external mic directly into the micro without a pre amp or your audio will be disappointingly quiet. I learnt this the hard way.

In theory it's best to have the mics DB set high on the actual microphone and mic low on the camera for cleaner audio but I couldn't really tell in the opposite case which is better.

Yeah, I guess I thought if I plugged a Mic in via 3.5 jack I'd be able to adjust the levels using the mic pre in ththe camera. I understand now that's not the case. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
    Yeah, I guess I thought if I plugged a Mic in via 3.5 jack I'd be able to adjust the levels using the mic pre in ththe camera. I understand now that's not the case. Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure you can though, but you can't use the option for line level to do so. You'd need to set the camera to either Mic High or Mic Low setting, then change the channel percent. The only problem is that there is no visual indicator if you use the sbus to change the channel volume which means you can accidentally set it low, so until there's an update to show it I'd just set it to a nice middle ground level.

Line in audio levels can be controlled smoothly with S.Bus or PWM controllers same as zoom.
    If you use external preamp with analogue gain control it is better to set camera levels to fixed default level somewhere around 75-80% and adjust analogue level on the preamp to avoid clipping.
    Some external preamps have reference sound signal output so you can calibrate line in audio levels more precise.
    I tested BMMCC with RMAA tests and found that it has very nice line-in quality noise level and dynamic range compare to average cameras and external audio recorders.

Last edited by shijan; 01-19-2018 at 05:00 PM.

I was hoping to plug a Rode Video Mic Pro directly to the BMMCC. without an external mic pre and control the gain via the remote.

Mic or Line it is just a different amplification level build in hardware audio chip. It all can be controlled with external controller. It works well with simple PWM EK2-0907 servo controller connected directly to PWM camera input or to PWM to S.Bus converter http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20...l=1#post239373

If you have native S.Bus controller it will work in same way.

Interesting, I will have to test this with Phil’s OLG SBus Remote. Thanks for the tip.
    Cheers

for clarity:

you can change the internal pre-amp gain with sbus (or PWM)
    you cannot change the mic input mode settings however (ie whether the camera treats the external mic input as mic or line level)

there seems to be some contradiction and/or confusion about whether internal pre-amp gain control is active or 'set to unity' when the mic mode is set to line level - I'd need to double check this on my own camera to be sure