Thread: Probability of a new BMD camera in 2018?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Probability of a new BMD camera in 2018? 
    Without listing wishlists for features or form factors - is there generally a probability for a new camera in 2018 from BMD?

Is it realistically?
    For example, last year they stated a Pocket v2 would have to be 4K, which at that point wasn't possible due to heat management.
    Is a Pocket v2 realistically this year?

Is any other new camera possible or what might be their plan going forward concerning their camera department?

Seeing how relatively new the UMP is, I'd say a new 4k pocket would be the safest bet. Plenty of folks have done a 4k camera in that form factor, but a RAW shooting 4k camera that small would be something we haven't seen before.

Not gonna lie, I have such nostalgia and appreciation for the original 2.5k BMCC that I'd really be into a new version of that. It'd pretty much be a sensor-in-a-box version of the UMP for $3k I'd bet.
    Last edited by fahnon; 01-09-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Perhaps they'll continue to leverage their 4.6K sensor tech. I wouldn't be surprised to see a stripped down 4.6k in a box for aerial/gimbal/jib/PTZ use. Now that they have external raw recorders the heads could be quite compact. Somewhere between Micro 4k and the BMPC. Essentially the URSA version of the Micro Studio. Maybe even modular, ooooh, modular.

DJI has a small 4K RAW shooting camera...don't have any experience with it though:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...amera_and.html

Just got off the phone with Grant Petty you guys. He told me there'll be a $500 medium-format 8K pocket any day now. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    Just got off the phone with Grant Petty you guys. He told me there'll be a $500 medium-format 8K pocket any day now. ;p
    That’s great news. My clients keep telling me that 4K looks miserable on their phones. Now I have a reason to purchase that $20,000 workstation I’ve had my eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    DJI has a small 4K RAW shooting camera...don't have any experience with it though:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...amera_and.html
    The little lens element on the front is not "all" of the camera. Much of the processing is housed on the separate larger body section.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

That's true but it's designed that way because of the gimbal...but I guess it could make a difference. Still pretty small though.

Cameras.jpg

(Cinema5D)

They’ll come out with something small. Building off the micro maybe. Build a box and then sell attachments. Handle, monitor/recorder, the only question is what sensor? Do they stick with the Super 16 format and the mft mount, or Suoer 35 and an Ef mount?

I think they’ve got a winner with the 4.6k sensor. Arri milked the Aleev sensor for the better part of a decade with little to no complaints. The pipeline is only going to get better, the color science more refined, the package smaller. It’s BM though, you never can tell.