Thread: Night Footage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Night Footage 
    Figured you guys would be interested. Wanted to see what it would look like at night. All handheld. Just the camera. Not my best handheld work haha. Real quick grade. There's lots more there in the raw file. 95% of this was at 800ASA too. I did get the black dot issue at like 1:03.

Zeiss 28f/2 mostly at 2 or 2.8 I think.

Link: https://vimeo.com/55069509

I shot a bunch of stuff for my work this week that unfortunately I can't put online. But hopefully I'll have some more stuff up soon.

Nice test! This camera has no problem in low light. The increased depth of field I actually like!

What also just hit me with this is that I did all of this, from start to finish, in probably about 90 minutes, maybe closer to 2 hours. That's pretty good for a raw workflow....

Looks great. Thanks.
    my WORK

Taking a Vacation
    "This is not a lowlight camera"

JChriston,

Any chance you could post a couple of DNGs? Specifically, I'd love to see a single frame each from the 14 second mark (people crossing street with bright windows in BG), the 20 second mark (food truck), and the 40 second mark (Swarovski). These are all sections that have really bright, blown out areas in them, and I'd like to see what sort of detail is present in those hot areas.

Thanks.

Looks really good. This camera has something magical about it, for sure.

Oh, the highlights are all there. I guess I'm not that good at Resolve yet. I find it much easier to dial in this stuff in ACR. But i'm forcing myself to learn Resolve as it just seems more efficient.

Here's a link to some DNGS: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vhbpwkzwpfi0t23/TQ-4AMJ7Y4

And check out what I got from just doing it in ACR.

And yeah, "not a lowlight camera..."
    I guess New York is really bright though... sure theses are "noisy", but when you watch, I hardly notice it and it's a way different beast than dSLR noise.

Screen Shot 2012-12-07 at 9.28.23 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-07 at 9.26.38 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-07 at 9.24.51 AM.jpg

jchriston. Some really lovely footage here and I was in New York last week at many of the locations you shot, so feels like a holiday video to me. (I'm just wondering if I could have been in the same area at the same time as you which would be the closest I've got to a BMCC so far )

Also, kudos on how steady you were keeping your handheld shots in what were really freezing cold and windy conditions. I'm noticing a bit of rolling shutter but thankfully nothing in the jello ball park.

Be really good to see more of your stuff when you can post it.

Hah thanks man. I will say this though. The camera is pretty damn heavy, or maybe I'm a weakling - so with any sort of grip, whether it's the BMCC handles, or a side handle or a top handle or something, you could handle this thing way better. Obviously a shoulder rig or something would be way more ideal for handheld work, but it's good to know that you can rock it this way if you have to. The aston style handles out there are looking way more tempting to me with this sort of right as I feel those allow you to support the whole thing better than just gripping the side. Either way, yeah, ergonomics are funky, but we all knew this, but they aren't completely useless as I got this stuff out of it and probably could have done better.