Thread: Is the Ursa Mini Pro near as good as the Canon C300 Mark II?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Damn...the Alexa and Alexa Mini really do OWN skin tones.
    The URSA here has significantly greener/grayer skin tones, but overall the comparison is pretty compelling.
    I thought the UMP has redder skin tone. Is that not part of its charecteristic?

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I thought the UMP has redder skin tone. Is that not part of its charecteristic?
    I was referring to this particular video that was posted.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I was referring to this particular video that was posted.
    So which one do you think is the UMP?

The first camera is the UMP, and the alexa mini is the second. So the greener skintones is actually the Alexa mini ^^. But the skintones on the alexa are still beter because it has that creamy look to it, less detailed which is what I like.

In that particular video the UMP for me has better skintone no doubt about it. I do model photography and if I were to use frame clip as stills the Alexa Mini will not make the cut.

Referring to the UMP and Alexa video: Both look great, hard to do a pixel peep comparison without knowing what the settings on both cameras (and lenses) were used, what codecs they were shot with, how the footage was ingested, and what was done in the grade. Based on what's there already it wouldn't be hard to match them even closer. Olan has a great sense for lighting, production design and lens choice among other variables. The user of the camera is very talented, that's why it looks so good no matter what camera he used.

As for the OPs original question, it really depends on what you're using the tool for as well as personal preference. If you're talking strictly for narrative usage, I'd say the UMP hands-down will beat any and all cameras in the Canon CXXX line just for the codec options alone and BM's Film log is much better for grading than any flavor of C-Log.

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    But the skintones on the alexa are still beter because it has that creamy look to it, less detailed which is what I like.
    In the final grade the usual way I can tell if a shot is UMP or Alexa is because the UMP looks sharper. This is because the sensor itself is a higher resolution and because the UMP doens’t have an OLPF. Alexa on the same shot size with the same lens will always look “softer”.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    In the final grade the usual way I can tell if a shot is UMP or Alexa is because the UMP looks sharper. This is because the sensor itself is a higher resolution and because the UMP doens’t have an OLPF. Alexa on the same shot size with the same lens will always look “softer”.

JB
    I wonder if this would make a big difference.
    http://store.mosaicengineering.com/V...46K_p_46.html#

Quote Originally Posted by polaroid22 View Post
    I wonder if this would make a big difference.
    http://store.mosaicengineering.com/V...46K_p_46.html#
    I'm sure it would.

I guess it depends on if that's what you want. It's nice to have the choice right ?

There's a lot that prefer the sharpness and extra resolution too.

https://www.cinematography.net/CE-2017%20STILLS.html

You can see that it still doesn't remove all the aliasing errors that can be generated (look at the Alexa SXT shots here). And neither does it on the RED Helium either. IN fact the Sony F55 / F65 seem to be the only ones that have their OLPF tuned perfectly.

You can also see here how the Ursa sharpness pops even against higher resolution sensors (but with resolution lowering OLPFs). Look at the hair and eyelashes full screen.

https://agdok.de/de_DE/kameratest20172

JB

Again referring to the video, its not just the skin tone or even the sharpness. The tonal variation on the veil is more natural on the UMP. On the Alexa Mini the red colour has less detail as do everywhere. I suppose that to do with lower resulotion and OLPF. Also notice UMP has less noise in the shadow.
    Alexa has high reputation and I'm sure the image produce has plenty of latitude that still stands out when those from other cameras would fail, but just on that paticular video if that was not an Alexa Mini and it was a Canon, Sony or even a Red Dragon I'm pretty sure opinions will be stacked overwhelmingly in favour of UMP.