Thread: Z Cam E1

1. #1 Z Cam E1 
    Today I got a B&H lower price list of stuff, and one thing caught my attention: the Z Cam E1 camera.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nterchangeable

Some time ago I had seen some comments about it, and the specs, lens mount, 4K capability and estimated price put it on my waiting list.

Has someone here tried that camera and compared to the BM small models?

Any reviews or tests of any kind around?

Being so low priced now makes me think it's not selling as it should, considering the specs.

On first look I assume most here wouldn't be impressed with h264 and I assume an 8bit depth, not sire that it has log either. Seems like an app is essential for use. But for 200 dollars and 4k it'd be good to have if you want to put a camera in dangerous situations.

There are also reports of zero support from the manufacturer.

So those are the problems then. Good to know.

Piece of crap. We used a few as crash cams and all footage were not usable in post.

I have not seen a single decent looking clip online. Everything I've found on Youtube looked awful. Worse the phone camera. It has the flexibility of lens choice. Otherwise, it's pretty bad.

I bought one because at the $199 price I felt it was a no brainer. I thought it would be a great b roll cam. An iphone won't give you the Bokeh that this cam will. It uses the same m43 chip in the panasonic GH4.

Most videos online are using the older firmware. I've contacted the company because I found that the shutter speed doesn't stay locked when the camera is turned back on in the latest firmware while using a manual lens. They have been very responsive and told me next firmware will have a fix. The firmware updates have been getting better and better.

It has its problems. No place to buy extra batteries unless you're in China. It comes with 2 batteries but I got a small lipstick usb 18650 battery pack in case I need more power. It is prone to micro jitters when hand holding it so you have to stabilize it. Electronic lenses are not that responsive but I use mostly manual lenses.

I think quality is pretty decent considering its super small size. I put a flip up lcd viewfinder on the back and added a pistol grip and it works very nicely. It has a log setting and has both 4K UHD and DCI 4K settings.

This footage is not mine but it looks pretty decent to me and this is an older firmware (most recent firmware was released in October.): https://vimeo.com/196918286
    Last edited by mico; 12-29-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mico View Post
    I bought one because at the $199 price I felt it was a no brainer. I thought it would be a great b roll cam. An iphone won't give you the Bokeh that this cam will. It uses the same m43 chip in the panasonic GH4.

Most videos online are using the older firmware. I've contacted the company because I found that the shutter speed doesn't stay locked when the camera is turned back on in the latest firmware while using a manual lens. They have been very responsive and told me next firmware will have a fix. The firmware updates have been getting better and better.

It has its problems. No place to buy extra batteries unless you're in China. It comes with 2 batteries but I got a small lipstick usb 18650 battery pack in case I need more power. It is prone to micro jitters when hand holding it so you have to stabilize it. Electronic lenses are not that responsive but I use mostly manual lenses.

I think quality is pretty decent considering its super small size. I put a flip up lcd viewfinder on the back and added a pistol grip and it works very nicely. It has a log setting and has both 4K UHD and DCI 4K settings.

This footage is not mine but it looks pretty decent to me and this is an older firmware (most recent firmware was released in October.): https://vimeo.com/196918286
    Hmmm.....
    ....hmmmm.....

$250, huh?

Hmmm.......

That vimeo footage looks better than what I expected from some of the reviews I've read.
    Sure is tiny....could put my tiny Panny lenses on it..and some others too.

...hmmmm........

Of course I already have two Pocket Cameras and an iPhone 6+ and a 7+.

Hmmmm.....
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine