Thread: Grant Petty is a Rock Star

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I don't agree that the Big Ursa 4k was BMD good camera. It is a crew camera and the only thing going for it was the potential of a turret upgrade. As it stand it looks like a Frankenstein camera with a sensor that just don't cut it with current cameras or even cameras several years old.
    I disagree. The Big URSA 4K is a workhorse and making it a crew camera keeps it apart as a Pro-level narrative camera as opposed to the mini which is for that one man operation unit. From my experience, I closed more narrative shooting deals with the big URSA than with the BMCC, BMPCC, and URSA 4K mini combined. But again, your mileage may vary, just like JB has good success with the 4.6K but I think with JB, it's really about him and his delivery which says it all. Don't get me wrong, I really like the BMPCC and BMCC. I regret selling the latter but I bring the BMPCC with me whenever I shoot for my recreation. The flaw I hate about it is the battery life, especially when I am using it incognito.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I disagree. The Big URSA 4K is a workhorse and making it a crew camera keeps it apart as a Pro-level narrative camera as opposed to the mini which is for that one man operation unit. From my experience, I closed more narrative shooting deals with the big URSA than with the BMCC, BMPCC, and URSA 4K mini combined. But again, your mileage may vary, just like JB has good success with the 4.6K but I think with JB, it's really about him and his delivery which says it all. Don't get me wrong, I really like the BMPCC and BMCC. I regret selling the latter but I bring the BMPCC with me whenever I shoot for my recreation. The flaw I hate about it is the battery life, especially when I am using it incognito.
    Maybe a workhorse to some but not too many I guess. Its largely been rejected by filmmaking circles JB has pointed out. Its like me saying the Pocket Camera is the greatest camera BMD has made because I shoot on my own and most of the stuff I shoot close & personal POV stuff. The Mini, Pocket, BMCC can all be rigged up to be a crew cam like the Big Ursa but not the other way. The argument in favour of the big Ursa could only begin if the turret upgrade to a 4.6k sensor.

The big URSA produced amazing pictures.

I can't prove it, but I think its cooling system really made all the difference. I knew the camera really well; all of its quirks. And when I bought the URSA Mini 4K, I was excited to have the "same" image in a smaller package, but it certainly was not. And one reason I am convinced that something wasn't the same or something wasn't quite right is because of the 'horizontal lines' issue.

If anyone remembers, the camera had terrible horizontal lines running through it, especially during high framerate shooting. Eventually there was a "calibration" update which masked the issue a bit, but never completely fixed it.

The big URSA at 4K/80p was absolutely flawless. Crystal clear images, just beautiful.

The big monitor was amazing because I didn't have to use a 7" anymore and it folded nicely back into the system. I could see people laughing at it but I truly think those who did have never used the camera because it's darn near impossible to miss focus with that thing. All of your composition just right there - I loved it. My gripe with it was that its color-temperature was completely off. You had to look at the 5" ones to see what your white balance really looked liked because the big one was too warm.

The DR was weak @11-11.5 stops, but the colors were unmatched. The BMPC produced beautiful colors since Day 1 (the 4.6K colors are too pastel IMO).

The 4.6K turret never came, but at the same time I don't know if I would want that sensor based on its own problems. It would be nice to keep upgrading to different ones in the future, but I guess one argument for its failure in that sense is that the camera wasn't wired for the sustainability.

The sun spot was still a problem on V1 sensors. 400 ISO max (800 with FPN unusable) was unrealistic.

And the weight...its biggest problem for sure. And not because of any physical endurance to operate it, but because of its limiting effect on creativity without the necessary equipment.

Even with all of this, it was an amazing camera for BM to make at the time (released late 2014, probably on the drawing board in 2013 or before) where almost nothing on the market shot 4K/60p let alone 4K/80p at that quality.

Grant Petty is a rock star. Totally got a little starstruck when I met him at NAB last year. He was out working the floor at the Black Magic display and out of all of the flashy toys and displays they had set up, he had posted with the mini converters. Really down to earth, approachable, and knows every single product they sell in and out.

As far as their products go, I've been shooting on the URSA Mini 4.6k for over a year half now and I have to say that without a doubt it is my favorite camera I've ever shot with. It really makes shooting enjoyable. I love the simplicity of the interface, the form factor, the codec options, the gorgeous EVF, all of it. And it doesn't hurt that the image quality is amazing.
    Greg Monson
    www.gregmonson.com