Thread: Defecting to Windows - Looking to start afresh with Resolve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Defecting to Windows - Looking to start afresh with Resolve 
    Hi all,

So, I've been with Macs all my life but, as time goes by, I'm realising that it's a lot cheaper to get better performance from the other side. I've tried using Resolve 12 on my MacBook Pro (not at a high enough version for 14) but, while it always said it was playing back at the full frame rate, the display would only do half second or so bursts. The sequence would keep playing in real time but you'd only be able to see little snippets in between freezes. I could never get it to import the XMLs from Premiere CS5 properly (which I know is old but it's done me fine since I was in High School). It would try to import everything and it seemed like it managed to find every single clip I didn't use in the sequence but everything I did use was missing.

Anyway, so, aware that my MacBook is getting on a bit (I only got it in 2014 but there you go), I'd like to try a Windows machine with Resolve in mind. I've also been looking at used/refurb laptops to get a bit more bang for my buck because I really don't want to spend over AUD$1000 and I seem to have found a good few options in the $500-$700 mark but I've frankly got no idea what any of the long strings of numbers and letters mean.

There's one that I rather like the look of for reasons unrelated to Resolve. Here are some of its specs:

• 16GB of RAM (except it's broken up into 4x2GB and 2x4GB and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing)
    • 15.6" screen at 1920x1080 (almost all the new laptops I could find were 1366x768 and those that weren't were nearly AUD$1500)
    • AMD Radeon R7 M260 Graphics (2GB GDDR3 dedicated)

So, I guess I'm looking for some pointers as to what I need to look for. I'll be editing 1080 ProRes 422 HQ maximum. I have nothing that can do 4K and I have little need for it at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm sorry if I've waffled on too long. I'm not sure what's relevant and what's not.
    Last edited by W.D. Stevens; 12-19-2017 at 09:36 AM.

have you considered building your own pc? 1k aud is gonna be quite tough especially if that includes the budget for the monitor. You'd save in the long run by putting in a bit more and getting something with a bit more power.

2gig GPU isn't going to cut it, 16 gig Ram is enough and a lot comes down to your CPU, so spending a bit more on a decent cpu is well worth it. Not to mention if your working with BM cameras then hard drive space will eventually become a thing.

I made a quick put together of some of the more budget friendly options but still nice and it came to about 2k with a nice monitor. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NB4myf

You cant go wrong here, the site will tell you if you've picked incompatible parts. You can also see the parts reviews or look for further google reviews. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Edit- It only just occurred to me that you might be looking for a laptop. In which case 2gig gpu is good for a laptop.

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I am looking at a laptop. I'll edit the post to make that a bit clearer. The CPU in the two frontrunners (at the moment) says it's 'AMD Quad Core A10'. One specifies '2.10 GHz, up to 2.90 GHz, 4 MB cache' but the other doesn't. I know more is better here but I don't know what I should be looking at. As for GPU, I read an article that I got from a thread on here about the minimums (not much mention of CPU so I'm a bit lost there) which gave a good breakdown of the GPU requirements, I thought.

Out of interest, why would 2GB be fine for a laptop but not a desktop? Coming from a mac background where nothing hardware-wise is customisable, this is all a bit foreign to me.

Mainly just the available space, I would not buy a 2g gpu pc for 1k but i would a laptop because it costs more for a smaller footprint. But good laptops get expensive real fast and i don't know too much more about them. I'd love a macbook pro but god damn the $$

A good gaming laptop will do. But I should also look at the specs. Blacmagic shows in this manual: Hardware Selection and Configuration Guide - Blackmagic Design (PDF)

Welcome to the dark side

In my book, doing serious work on a laptop is a penalty, but whatever floats your boat.

With your budget, it's getting really tight for a laptop, since even halfway decent gaming laptops cost way more.

In general: High frequency on CPU usually beats cores.
    Make sure you have a 4 GIG V-Ram GPU
    You want one of the newer USB (3.1) standards for i/o

Maybe you can score a used Schenker or something like that, probably the best bang for your buck.

Well, before you jump to the dark side, what you are looking to spend might land you on a system that will just frustrates you. To really have a usable laptop, you need about 16gb of RAM, a newer GPU with at least 4gb of VRAM, at least a core i7 CPU, and SSD drives. As Frank suggested, one with USB 3.1 if you are to add external SSD drive or reader. I have a beast desktop PC dedicated for Resolve. I also have a 2014 MBP which I run Resolve 14.2 now. On the mac, I use it to work on 1080p Prores predominantly. Resolve 14.2 is much more optimize and runs well on my Mac, which has an i5, 8gb, and the Intel GPU. I do not attempt to do anything beyond 1080p on it. I'm able to work on footage that are up to 30 minutes at a time, a few grading nodes and LUTs, but no effects or NR stuff. I set my playback to proxy at quarter speed for review and it just works. I would give that MBP another try with Resolve 14.2 and tweak Resolves playback and caching options. You might just save yourself a grand. Caveat is as long as you keep your work on 1080p or less and Prores 422 and no more, your MBP should do the job okay.

I'd love to get a macbook pro and maybe make a nice hacintosh to run both windows and mac but I don't know too much about the downsides of running hacintosh and it's potential problems especially if it's going to be for paid work (which atm it's not for me but you never know).

I like mac laptops way better than windows for the battery life, nice monitors and having parts that cannot be replaced makes it pretty easy to optimize programs for. It's too bad about the cost especially if you also want to use an Imac or also have a gaming PC.

Thank you for all the advice so far. I appreciate it. I should clarify that my MBP is actually a mid-2012 model that I bought in 2014. I mainly chose that model because it had an optical drive (which broke about 18 months ago but c'est la vie). I'm feeling the need to upgrade anyway as this thing feels like it's sloooowly dying. From the aforementioned optical drive to a heart attack-inducing hard drive bracket and battery failure just over a year ago and now a weird display issue, I thought it time to start looking elsewhere. They've managed to fix it every time but I'm beginning to just wonder what the next thing to go wrong will be (oh, my down arrow stopped working a few weeks ago, so there's that).

I've managed to find refurbished laptops under $1000 with all the specs mentioned except for the 4GB VRAM. All the advice from a year or two ago says that 2GB is the minimum. Has Resolve really changed that much in such a short time? If so, what will I lose by having 2 instead of 4? Will it not work at all or will certain functions work slower? Like I said, I can get Resolve 12 (14 needs 10.11 and the Apple store advised only upgrading as far as 10.10 on my machine) to work pretty much on my MBP apart from that freezing issue (which I don't know where the fault lies given that it says it's playing back in realtime) and it's only got 8GB of RAM and integrated graphics (though it says 1042MB of RAM so I don't know).

I've found a couple of refurbished options in my price range. Here are the two frontrunners:

ASUS N550JK:

- CPU: IntelŽ Core™ i7-4700HQ Processor (6M Cache, 2.4GHz Max Turbo Frequency up to 3.40 GHz)
    - Memory: 16GB DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM
    - Hard Drive: 1.5TB HDD
    - Optical Drive: Blu-Ray DVD Combo Optical Drive
    - Display: 15.6" (39.6cm) IPS FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlight Non-Glare LCD Panel
    - Graphics: NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GTX850M with 2GB DDR3 VRAM

Lenovo IdeaPad Y700-15ISK

- CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 4 Core(s)
    - Memory: 16GB RAM
    - Storage: 1TB SATA + 128GB SSD Hard Drives
    - Display: 15.6-inch FHD (1920×1080) Screen
    - Graphics: Intel, HD Graphics 530 + NVIDIA Corporation, GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]

I know the ssd makes a world of difference in my pc and I put anything inportant like resolve and windows on it. Even just for a quick start it keeps me sane. So in today's age I think an ssd is a must. But yeah resolve has gotten more advanced features with 14 but as always it will depend if you use them or not. The more you can manage the better for the future, if you look at it this way, okay it was cheaper for you to buy the 2012 macbook in 2014 but now you need a new laptop, getting a 1k laptop will mean you need a more powerful one sooner. so that's kind of like losing money? just depends how good of a deal you can get on how good of a laptop.