Thread: GH5s

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I had zero knowledge about the multi aspect sensor stuff and honestly I hadn't heard that phrase before now. Gordon Laing made a pretty informative video describing how the GH5s' sensor works. Learn something new every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaglh-nUmA

The idea of being able to stay at the edge of the image circle when switching to 16:9 or 17:9 from 4:3 is pretty sweet.
    I guess I never really thought about how when using traditional DSLRs and switching to 16:9 you have to crop in a lot because of the corners.
    Last edited by Timothy Cook; 01-09-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Realistically, this is what will move my production team to 4K, unless there is a unicorn pocket replacement in the future. We shoot our movies on ProRes, not raw, so so the internal 10 bit will not be a huge hit. Don't need external recorder as 60p recording would be rare. All 24p narrative. Don't need the expensive speedbooster as we don't use electronic lenses, the cheap Chinese RJ focal reducer that I've been using for the past 4 years will transfer just fine, also the cheap feelworld monitors will still work fine, and when it breaks will get another one.. It will still fly on the Ronin M, and not out weigh our tripods and slider rigs. In short it will not alter our on set workflow established with the pocket one bit. As beautiful as the ump 4.6 image is, it would require a significant change in equipment, not just the cost of the built camera. The lack of image stabilizer is a non issue as you can't really use it for moving the camera, it's for steadying still handheld shots. It's claims faster sensor readout for reduced rolling shutter, so looking forward to seeing what that means, the pocket is not horrible when careful, so if at least that good it would be fine for me.will be interesting to see what the final word is on dynamic range, they are saying 14 stops like the varicam, it is a Sony chip, so that is what they claim on their cameras as well but hobbled by 8 bit codecs.

Another Bllackmagic Pocket user looking at the GH5s.
    I don't think some of the GH5 users grousing about the lack of IBIS understand that the GH5S is not for them. It's NOT an upgrade (they'll have to wait for the GH6 for that) There's a portion of the market that didn't buy the GH5 for reasons that they've addressed in the GH5s.
    While the BMPCC nominally has 13 stops of dynamic range the GH5s is either 12 o 14 (and waiting to see how that sorts out). Meanwhile it'll give me UHD/4K in 10bit 4:2:2 I frame codec. High Frame rates when needed. Good low light performance if needed. I don't need IBIS for my gimbal or slider shots. If I do need post stabilization at least DCI 4k gives me the room and if the rolling shutter is better than the Pocket (post stabilization of hand held HD shots has its problems) all the better.
    If BMD holds to their position that the tech isn't where they want it, then I'll look to Panasonic which is doing very well with the tech that is available.

BTW I don't underestimate the value of IBIS for the GH5. It's supposedly good enough that you CAN move the camera for "fake" slider like, gimbal like, crane like moves if you want to try to execute them handheld. But that's not the main purpose I'd get this camera for.

Quote Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
    While the BMPCC nominally has 13 stops of dynamic range the GH5s is either 12 o 14 (and waiting to see how that sorts out).
    The GH5s usable DR is 10.5 - 11 stops max.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    The GH5s usable DR is 10.5 - 11 stops max.
    No credible source says anything that low. Everyone I've heard that mentions dynamic range is either 12 or 14.
    Here's another that mentions near 14. Stated by a Panasonic rep. At 2:30

I don't think that DR is as big a deal as most make it out to be. I'd much rather have 4-5 stops of sensitivity over a couple stops of DR. However here's a vid that shows the URSA pretty much crushing the GH5. The GH5 looks like it's pushing about 8-9 vs. the Ursa 4.6k's 12-13........or 11 vs. 15 depending on how you interpret the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=P5gtfxy7rwM

Regardless of DR estimates just watch the samples of GH5s and how it compares with your Pocket camera or Mini 4.6k and you will know its DR. If you decide the Pocket camera to be your theoretical 13 stops what would the GH5s be? I think it is about a stop less.

I got a GH5s and it stopped short with me. I never want to see it again!
    Last edited by DPStewart; 01-14-2018 at 01:15 AM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

DP, how did you get your hands on a GH5S so soon, before the release? How did it stop short?
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 01-14-2018 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    DP, how did yiu get your hands on a GH5S so soon, before the release? How did it stop short?
    Cheers
    Sounds like he is joking with the "stop" thing.