Thread: GH5s

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Be very cautious about judging a camera by its specs.

The Canon DSLRs have dominated DSLR video because the image simply looks better more of the time. And it has nothing to do with number of pixels or Ks.
    Never forget that iPhones have been shooting 4K for years now... do ANY of us suggest that they look better than a Pocket Cinema Camera? No, of course not. Not by a million miles.

Here's a camera with crazy low light performance and a million features and 4k....but the final image looks like poop. Still want it? I didn't think so.

Does the Sony A7s outperform all the others in low light sensitivity? YES! Does the image look like crap even though it has little noise? YES!

Bottom line is this newer GH5 has some nice points. ALL OF THIS YEAR'S CAMERAS DO. Does that mean its image output in the end is better? Maybe yes, maybe no.
    LoL:-) So what do you think about my previous post and the video (apart from the whitebalance being off..) . Cause I agree with you, the stuff I see from GH5 on youtube looks sharp as hell..but the skintones are poop.. Also it all looks just very video'ish..It's why I love my bmcc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    What they can't do is 10 bit 4k DCI at 400mbps in V-log while providing a waveform, peaking and providing 12 stops of dynamic range at 5000 iso (in v-log) because of it's dual native iso while also running for 3 hours on a single 1800 mh battery while having unlimited record time and zero over heating issues.
    Some of the best work in the world is shot in 8-bit with lower dynamic range and data information. Most people didn't know what 10-bit was a few years ago. But as the industry changed and technology changed, everyone thinks they need all of these specs (not saying that to you, just in general). No person on planet earth is going to tell the difference between 8-bit and 10-bit footage. (I know...for grading, but I'm a little old school with capturing nice images in the camera.)

I'd always choose a 1DX Mark II over the Panasonics, but still like those cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Mulder View Post
    LoL:-) So what do you think about my previous post and the video (apart from the whitebalance being off..) . Cause I agree with you, the stuff I see from GH5 on youtube looks sharp as hell..but the skintones are poop.. Also it all looks just very video'ish..It's why I love my bmcc.
    The GH5S has some fairly significant color science improvements over the GH5; you might want to check that out, if you're interested.

Colour coming out of the gh5S is great and holds it's colour up to 6400iso and only needs a slight tweak to 10000 iso. Significantly better than the a7s, it has an OLPF which softens it down and if you use non native glass then the lens profile sharpening won't activate plus at 10mp sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Mulder View Post
    Thank you for not making me have to say anything more at all..
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Here is some more footage from the GH5S:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHD5jEEguLM

Last edited by TeddyDem; 02-21-2018 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Switched links to YouTube versions. Seems like Vimeo can no longer be embedded

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyDem View Post
    Here is some more footage from the GH5S:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHD5jEEguLM

A really nice short of what is possible with a little effort. The footage looks plenty cinematic to me.

The GH5 is not a great example as it's a camera that an absolute ton of people will buy and not everyone is so cinematic-ly inclined so you're gonna get a lot of work you might not like. Generally people who purchase black magic cameras are in some way involved in a film education or career.

With the S lacking ibis i think you'll find a more professional owner base and generally better sample footage. But I do like the S' visual IQ better than the GH5 off the bat.

Does anyone know if the 10 bit 400 mb/s codec is comparable to what is used in the varicam? Would shooting dci 4K meet Netflix standards? Or do we have to wait for it to be approved.

I do not see why not.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    Does anyone know if the 10 bit 400 mb/s codec is comparable to what is used in the varicam? Would shooting dci 4K meet Netflix standards? Or do we have to wait for it to be approved.
    NO.
    It's not even close. But look at the price difference - about $16 thousand dollars.
    And no, it's not ever going to be accepted as a "Netflix approved" camera.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine