Thread: ? about best iMac Pro config for Resolve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 ? about best iMac Pro config for Resolve 
    I've been waiting to upgrade my 2015 iMac to the iMac Pro and am wondering which of the new configurations would be the sweet spot for Resolve. The basic choice is to go with a 10-core, Vega64 GPU, 128Gb RAM (best to max it out since it's not upgradeable) with a 2Tb SSD (which ought to be big enough to store boot stuff and Resolve cache)... The 10-core cpus are 3Ghz parts, boost up to 4.5Ghz - cost for that is $9600. There's a chance that, for apps that are not incredibly well written to take advantage of multi/hyper threading, this system would actually be faster than the 14- or 18-core versions, which have slower nominal clock speeds (2.5Ghz add $800 and 2.3Ghz add $1600, respectively) and slightly slower Turbo speed (4.3Ghz). My main applications for this are Resolve, FCPX and some of the new stitching apps (like MistikaVR). Without any real benchmarking it's impossible to tell, but does anyone have any feel for where the sweet spot with these new machines (for these types of applications) would be? You're free to tell me I'm crazy for buying a $10k iMac but I use FCPX extensively along with Resolve and have a lot else invested in the OS X environment... such is life. The financial side of this picture is secondary to which machine would be optimal (or most efficiently in the sweet spot) for my typical apps.

THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by yostopia View Post
    You're free to tell me I'm crazy for buying a $10k iMac but........
    You're crazy. I always do plenty of lurking at http://barefeats.com and Geekbench before getting a new machine. Often times the performance gains of the higher spec'd machines is nominal, this one does look to be a monster though.

You're not crazy, Gary. We work primarily in UHD ProRes HQ and below and our FCPX/Resolve workflows work so well with our 5K iMacs, that we are salivating at the thought of an iMac Pro. The only frustrating aspect continues to be our inability to edit CinemaDNG natively in FCPX (which, as I understand it may be up to BMD to facilitate, not Apple), as no matter how many advances Resolve has gotten in the last few years, nothing compares to working in the new editing paradigm of FCPX. It's the single reason we don't shoot any of our FOUR Blackmagic cameras in CinemaDNG.

I suspect the availability of a RED-like plugin for FCPX for CinemaDNG would threaten BMD a bit too much, but I'd rather avoid BMD raw than cut in Resolve or Premiere.

Best,

Fabián
    Cinematographer | Steadicam Operator | Naturalist
    The Understory

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    You're crazy. I always do plenty of lurking at http://barefeats.com and Geekbench before getting a new machine. Often times the performance gains of the higher spec'd machines is nominal, this one does look to be a monster though.
    Thanks (for calling me crazy ) and yup, barefeats is going to be really useful here, but it'll be awhile before they get a 14- or 18-core machine. I'll just wait a bit, no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by all2human View Post
    You're not crazy, Gary
    Hi Fabián! And thanks... ha. Yes it would be a dream to edit Cdng in FCPX but until now we can shoot 444 and be happy anyway. (!) And say hi to M from me please.

I hope the RAM isn't soldered onto the board. Would love for ifixit to have a guide to replacing them in a month or so. I've opened up my current Imac a bunch of times and it wasn't too much of a chore to replace the DVD drive with a 3tb...

Apple could very easily implement CinemaDNG. It is an open system.

"CinemaDNG is the result of an Adobe-led initiative to define an industry-wide open file format for digital cinema files."
    https://www.google.com

It's not just DNG; FCP X doesn't really support image sequences without weird workarounds like creating compound clips from images with 1 frame durations. If you want to go to the trouble though it is possible, but the other caveat is that the the native Mac OS DNG processing pipeline is probably the worst one I have ever seen, so your images are going to look atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.Mitchell View Post
    It's not just DNG; FCP X doesn't really support image sequences without weird workarounds like creating compound clips from images with 1 frame durations. If you want to go to the trouble though it is possible, but the other caveat is that the the native Mac OS DNG processing pipeline is probably the worst one I have ever seen, so your images are going to look atrocious.
    I know it doesn't now. I'm saying it is Apple. If any company can adapt their software it is them.

$5K for the base price of the imac pro - $13K fully loaded. I bought a 2017 iMac 5K maxed out (cept for ram) and a Pegasus TB3 raid for storage and this thing has been rock solid. 4.6K lossless plays fine in real time with a few corrections on it. NR will make it chug but I expect that. On the whole, an excellent workstation for < $3K.