Thread: About to do a Canon c200 vs ursa mini 4.6k test

1. #1 About to do a Canon c200 vs ursa mini 4.6k test 
    I have both the cameras today on loan from my local dealer.
    I use to own the ursa, but sold it thinking I would get the ursa pro, but then the c200 got released. I know the c200 eats the ursa in AF, ISO and stripped down weight, but the ursa is quite a bit workflow and shoulder mount friendly, and a heap cheaper. It also can take a speed booster inside the mount as some Italian guy has made one that works (the c200 might too- it has some room in there, but no one has tried).

So I will have a few hours today to try the two together. Any requests for tests that aren't too techical? I will shoot like I ususally shoot, some back lit with fast lenses and I'll do some 120fps tests. I'll plonk the cameras both one my tripod somehow and shoot the same stuff moving (not a head shot with a colour card)

So far just playing with the two-

I shot with the c200 yesterday and I like the size and weight, but it's still big. The c200 also needs a lot to make it a comfortable shoulder cam. With a base you need to add a v-mount battery to run an evf or deal with a gratical and another type of battery, same with a video transmitter or follow focus. It's starts to look rigged Dslr very quick.
    The ursa, even though almost a kg heavier is so much better on a shoulder. The evf is light years ahead of the the built in c200 one. The screen is larger, the codecs are easy as well as the menu is simple.
    The ursa feels far less refined in build quality, but the ursa menu is far better refined than the slightly confusing canon menu. Most Japanese products have bad menus (sonys are the worst), I don't know why they can't get a better designer in to improve these, it can't be rocket science!

Paul
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.paulrossjones.com

Quote Originally Posted by paulrossjones View Post
    I have both the cameras today on loan from my local dealer.
    I use to own the ursa, but sold it thinking I would get the ursa pro, but then the c200 got released. I know the c200 eats the ursa in AF, ISO and stripped down weight, but the ursa is quite a bit workflow and shoulder mount friendly, and a heap cheaper. It also can take a speed booster inside the mount as some Italian guy has made one that works (the c200 might too- it has some room in there, but no one has tried).

So I will have a few hours today to try the two together. Any requests for tests that aren't too techical? I will shoot like I ususally shoot, some back lit with fast lenses and I'll do some 120fps tests. I'll plonk the cameras both one my tripod somehow and shoot the same stuff moving (not a head shot with a colour card)

So far just playing with the two-

I shot with the c200 yesterday and I like the size and weight, but it's still big. The c200 also needs a lot to make it a comfortable shoulder cam. With a base you need to add a v-mount battery to run an evf or deal with a gratical and another type of battery, same with a video transmitter or follow focus. It's starts to look rigged Dslr very quick.
    The ursa, even though almost a kg heavier is so much better on a shoulder. The evf is light years ahead of the the built in c200 one. The screen is larger, the codecs are easy as well as the menu is simple.
    The ursa feels far less refined in build quality, but the ursa menu is far better refined than the slightly confusing canon menu. Most Japanese products have bad menus (sonys are the worst), I don't know why they can't get a better designer in to improve these, it can't be rocket science!

Paul
    Could you provide raw files if possible?
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

Hi Paul. I'd be interested to see some MP4 footage from the C200. These 8 bit codecs feel underwhelming on paper, but my C100 Mk2 seems to squeeze some impressive images from such little data. I wonder if the C200 can do the same?

More so grading capability, I'd like to see a comparison of grading for cinematic effect, and also grading to video "real" style look (like real estate) and how difficult it is to get to each. For example the colors on the micro are super easy to get to a dramatic cinematic look, but a little more difficult to get a realistic, documentary style. Canon is usually the opposite. If you provided some dngs from each we could do this comparison for you.

Would also like a rolling shutter comparison.

im downloading some footage now. but here is an ursa file thats blown me away- i thought is was well overexposed, but its pulled back really well. ive used photoshop to open it as im a stills guy.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 3.40.35 PM.jpg

Then darkening a fair bit-

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 3.40.56 PM.jpg
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.paulrossjones.com

Hi Paul - which camera did you end up going with, and why? I'm facing an identical decision....

Quote Originally Posted by paulrossjones View Post
    im downloading some footage now. but here is an ursa file thats blown me away- i thought is was well overexposed, but its pulled back really well. ive used photoshop to open it as im a stills guy.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 3.40.35 PM.jpg

Then darkening a fair bit-

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 3.40.56 PM.jpg
    That has to do with Adobe, if you load that same image into Davinci Resolve you'll get a much better exposed image. I have the same with my bmcc 2.5k. Adobe reads the dng's diff somehow.

Paul, If you still have the C200, can you check for panning speed judder. I'm shooting with the big BM URSA4K and the C200. When panning, even at normal pan speed (roughly 6-7 secs frame-to-frame), I don't get any judder on the BM. A noticeable judder is evident with the C200. I was using the same Sigma 50mm EF lens (no SB) focal length and F stop of 2.8, natural ISO which was 400 on the BM and 800 on the C200, in 4K DCI at 24fps. It will be nice to know if you are experiencing the same.