Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Joe, good morning?
    Sorry to have to take issue with you, but at least in the original we all knew what happened to the chief antagonist.
    Did you actually watch the sequel yet? I'm a real Ridley Scott devotee, from this early ways with RSA through The Duellists and on.
    Not hating, just disappointed.

Yeah, I saw the sequel. Perhaps Roger Deakins' cinematography isn't up to your standards. I don't know or care what a "Ridley Scott devotee" is. The responses to this film here are bullshit. It's a great film, better than the first.

The way the characters were EXPLAINING everything all the time was almost unbearable at times.
    A.) - People don't generally talk like this.
    B.) - It was insulting my intelligence as a viewer.
    ...an I aint got much of that fancy book learnin'.
    Last edited by DPStewart; 10-13-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    Yeah, I saw the sequel. Perhaps Roger Deakins' cinematography isn't up to your standards. I don't know or care what a "Ridley Scott devotee" is. The responses to this film here are bullshit. It's a great film, better than the first.

I loved the cinematography. You thought it was better than the original? I disagree. I respect your opinion.
    Last edited by bobbylupo; 10-13-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Giambrone View Post
    Thank you.
    And Deakins not measuring up to ANYONE here is laughable... at best. Screw your garbage arguments on personal taste. It's Deakins for God sake.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbylupo View Post
    Joe you're bringing nothing to this thread, same with the other guy and his clever post quoting. He's trying to tell you that he's a longtime Ridley fan and not a "hater" who dislikes a film just to go against popular opinion.

I loved the cinematography. You thought it was better than the original? I disagree, but as an adult, I respect your opinion and won't get salty about it.
    Thank you for finding my post quoting "clever." I thought it was a nicer way to tell you you're full of shit. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm not salty; I'm just not ego-maniacal enough to actually insult a movie when I have not created anything that can remotely touch it. That's how I operate. I do not judge art until I'm confident I have earned the right. Then I make sure my pedigree is understood so my opinion carries the weight of my experience. I haven't gotten close to achieving what these filmmakers have, so IF I don't like it, the most I would say is that it's not for me... but to judge? Only douchebags level insults and then say no offense.

Quote Originally Posted by pharpsied View Post
    Thank you for finding my post quoting "clever." I thought it was a nicer way to tell you you're full of shit. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm not salty; I'm just not ego-maniacal enough to actually insult a movie when I have not created anything that can remotely touch it. That's how I operate. I do not judge art until I'm confident I have earned the right. Then I make sure my pedigree is understood so my opinion carries the weight of my experience. I haven't gotten close to achieving what these filmmakers have, so IF I don't like it, the most I would say is that it's not for me... but to judge? Only douchebags level insults and then say no offense.

Iím deleting the original post guys. Sorry for offending people here. Going to the movies is about discussing what you like and didnít like.
    Pharpsied you can message me if you need to say anything further to me hx

Quote Originally Posted by pharpsied View Post
    So you can only have an opinion on what you also are good at doing yourself? So if you’re not a musician (a good one!) you’re not allowed to dislike any music? And I’m sure you like every politician in the world, because you, yourself, are not one! In essence, you don’t have an opinion, except that other people’s opinions that disagree with your opinions (that you shouldn’t have in the first place) are “full of shit”… People are always confusing things. When I say I don’t like a film, I’m not offending a film nor am I offending people that like it. But when you say other people’s opinions are “full of shit”, that’s when you’re offending.

We are all allowed to have an opinion. We’re not judging anything, for god’s sake! We’re just trying to put into words what a certain piece of art made us feel. I won’t say “yeah, I didn’t like it, but those guys are the best in the business, so I won’t tell anyone I didn’t like it”.

Man, I didn’t like this new Blade Runner and I couldn’t care less if you find my opinion is bullshit or not. But I have to tell you, in all honesty, you’re blocking some good and proper film discussion that could come out of this. Some of the best techs in the world are working in Hollywood and all of them do better technical work than most of us here. So that means we have to like EVERYTHING out of Hollywood? Just because they are the best, doesn’t mean they always do the best movies. A film is much more than just the sum of its parts. When somebody asks you if you liked Transformers 3, you seriously say “It’s fantastic, but not just for me”?

I love Deakins, he’s one of the best cinematographers out there. I thought his work on this film was way too polished for what the Blade Runner universe asked for (and actually, what the story asked for). But that’s not where the film failed for me. It’s the story and dialogues. Oh wait, I’m not a screenwriter, I can’t have an opinion…

Tyrell had really done a number on this post. Right down to quotes on things that were never inferred... statements that were never made.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

If the issue is dialogue and story, you probably haven't seen Blade Runner in a while. It doesn't hold up well. And that Rutger Hauer speech at the end is the definition of cringeworthy.