Thread: Best codec to render raw 3:1 1080p on PC?

1. #1 Best codec to render raw 3:1 1080p on PC? 
    Working on PC here with 3:1 raw from the micro but I'm not sure what the best codec is to render out in order to work and export a final in premiere pro?

uncompressed

best compression to size ratio, i use dnxhd 220 10 bit. I tried uncompressed but the files were way too large and i found no added benefit.

When you guys say uncompressed what container is that under?

Thanks for the answers btw!

AVI or mov, depending if you are on PC or Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by obiectivstudio View Post
    best compression to size ratio, i use dnxhd 220 10 bit. I tried uncompressed but the files were way too large and i found no added benefit.
    Of course there is benefit (even if you don't see it) - any compression means, you are loosing image information.
    He was asking for the "best" codec, not for a certain data rate.

I use an strictly uncompressed workflow, since Blackmagic came out with the first Decklink card in 2002,
    and always embraced their uncompressed , quality based focus.

Back than, a 800 GB RAID was costing me the same $$ as a small car - now, in 2017, where 4TB drives are 100 bucks, uncompressed data is IMHO a no-brainer.
    Last edited by Frank Glencairn; 10-03-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    Working on PC here with 3:1 raw from the micro but I'm not sure what the best codec is to render out in order to work and export a final in premiere pro?
    Just to be sure, are you asking what to render to work in, as in, proxy to edit with, or render as a final for delivery?

For final, I used to render to uncompressed AVI, then use Handbrake to render x264 .mkv files that I needed from that uncompressed 'master'.

However now, I render x264 .mkv directly from Premiere. (2 pass).

PS. I don't know how accepted .mkv is out there, but for online delivery, it's my favorite container.

Quote Originally Posted by wreck2 View Post
    Just to be sure, are you asking what to render to work in, as in, proxy to edit with, or render as a final for delivery?

For final, I used to render to uncompressed AVI, then use Handbrake to render x264 .mkv files that I needed from that uncompressed 'master'.

However now, I render x264 .mkv directly from Premiere. (2 pass).

PS. I don't know how accepted .mkv is out there, but for online delivery, it's my favorite container.
    Sorry, I forgot to put that it'd be. Grading in resolve and then rendering out the best possible file to then put into premiere.
    Which I assume is still uncompressed.

Also this has raised another question for me. Which codec takes the most advantage of the micros 1080p footage without wasting over head. For example I'd assume dnx 444 would be a waste since the micro does 422 right? I'd want to give YouTube the best possible file to work with but ensure I'm not needlessly adding size. If that makes sense.

Thank you!

Of course everybody has their own idea what 'best' is, so all I'll say is I've had fantastic success rendering out AVI's using Cineform. I strongly suggest you do a test by rendering both uncompressed and Cineform and see if you can see a difference between them. I can't. And Cineform plays phenomenally well in Premiere. I put this to an extreme test by rendering 4k 60P footage to AVI Cineform. It played absolutely smoothly in Premiere CS6 coming off a single SSD. No other codec I know of can do this. My machine is Intel 5960X 8-core overclocked to 4.2 Ghz and Nvidia 1080ti card.

I, too, have high praise for the Cineform codec. Have used it extensively since 2006 on all my PC-centric workflow and it's never let me down.