Thread: Mosaic R3 OLPF for Ursa Mini & Ursa Mini Pro

1. #1 Mosaic R3 OLPF for Ursa Mini & Ursa Mini Pro 
    Hey guys,

I’ve seen a lot of discussion lately about the Mosaic v2 for the pocket & micro cams, but Mosaic have a R3 version listed on their site for the Ursa Mini and Pro which I haven’t seen discussed as widely. It’s stated to be a higher quality design than their previous filters, and it is orderable with and without their IR filtration too.

Has anyone preordered one, or thinking of ordering? Does anyone feel that the 4.6k sensor suffers hugely from aliasing and an OLPF is justified?

Also what is interesting is the option to choose IR filtration too. Initially I was worried that the additional IR cut on top of the Pro’s internal IRNDs would be too much. There is a section on their site that states this isn’t the case and that many users still complain of IR pollution when using the NDs anyway. Does anyone regularly use additional IR Filtration on the UM Pro? Would you order with or without IR Cut on both the normal 4.6 and 4.6 Pro?

Link to Mosaic R3 OLPF Product Page: http://store.mosaicengineering.com/V...46K_p_46.html#

Link to David from Mosaic's discussion of IR filtration on UMP: https://vimeo.com/209470605
    Last edited by hawk; 09-27-2017 at 02:56 PM.

I too find it weird that nobody talks about the OLPF for the Ursa Minis. I've been trying to find some reviews about it but there aren't any. I find that the UM4.6k can get some aliasing in sections of the shot where there are fine details such as tree branches. But it only gets horrible if you really close down the lens or use a really sharp one. I've been able to go around this by shooting with softer lenses. Anyway, a OLPF is something that I would very much like to have on my UM 4.6k.

About their IR filtration, I would need to check out when exactly does it start cutting so that I'd know if it's a suitable IR Cut for this camera. Also, it feels weird to have the IR cut behind the lens and any ND filtration. Wouldn't that bounce light back into the lens?

I want one and I ordered one a long time ago. It never shipped and they stopped responding to my emails. So I don't have a lot of confidence at this point that this will become a reality.

David - There is a useful graph at the bottom of this page detailing the IR attenuation frequencies of the filter that may be of use: http://www.mosaicengineering.com/pro...vaf/bm/ir.html. I've previously seen David compare it to the Hoya IR/UV Filter.

I too have noticed a few specific instances of moire and aliasing but I've been quite lucky with it. The Mosaic site quotes one test user stating that the filter 'smoothens' out the feel of the Ursa's footage, comparing it to an Alexa. Is that mostly marketing talk or do you think an OLPF would have that kind of effect on the footage motion?

Pultzar2 - That's a shame to hear! I have read on many occasions that they're a super small company so communication can be a bit limited. It says on the website that their first production run started in April, so hopefully there's something on the horizon! I'm tempted to pre-order one myself as it's currently at a discounted price...

There are nice compare charts from cinematography.net article http://www.cinematography.net/CE-2017%20STILLS.html as you can see aliasing is present in many hi end cameras at almost same level as in Ursa Mini in RAW. Some cameras do some kind of mystery internal digital post processing and partially remove aliasing, but some not. My personal opinion that if aliasing artifacts are visible in camera footage and if it have no OLPF filter it can not be promoted as Digital Cinema camera. It is just video camera.

Any update on the Ursa Mini Pro version? Have people been receiving their orders? How do they function under real world circumstances?

Just wanted to bump this and see if there's any feedback on this olpf for the Ursa mini. I've tried contacting mosaic engineering but they don't answer their phone and they don't respond to emails. So that's not a good sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Pultzar2 View Post
    I want one and I ordered one a long time ago. It never shipped and they stopped responding to my emails. So I don't have a lot of confidence at this point that this will become a reality.
    Same here, communication blackout. I hope theynare well.

I think the problem is that there's no installed base yet.
    4k cameras have much less of a need for OLPFs in the first place. The filter for the URSAs is really new.. there's your second factor.
    Nearly no one has these yet.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I think the problem is that there's no installed base yet.
    4k cameras have much less of a need for OLPFs in the first place. The filter for the URSAs is really new.. there's your second factor.
    Nearly no one has these yet.
    Any update anybody.