Thread: Power Question For BMPCC / SmallHD Focus Monitor Combo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not for the Pocket camera. The dummy battery Howie was referring to is a Canon E6 for the Micro camera.
    Howie, I have noticed this too, you can take the battety off a Micro after it has "shut down" and it will still run the SmallHD 501 monitor.
    Thanks for confirming I was not going nuts, and the Micro did not like any voltage less than 7.2VDC.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 11-10-2017 at 01:00 AM.

Resurrecting this old thread :-) as I can’t find any recent comments here or else where confirming if anyone has successfully powered a micro or pocket from this monitor.

It would be great to know if it’s possible and which cables or dummy batteries are required.

The monitor sounds great, and if it enables longer camera battery life, without having to have an extra external battery for the camera that would be the icing on the cake.
    A professional 2D / 3D animator with a passion for film.
    www.stormystudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by stormystudio View Post
    Resurrecting this old thread :-) as I can’t find any recent comments here or else where confirming if anyone has successfully powered a micro or pocket from this monitor.

It would be great to know if it’s possible and which cables or dummy batteries are required.

The monitor sounds great, and if it enables longer camera battery life, without having to have an extra external battery for the camera that would be the icing on the cake.

Some info in the last 2 pages of this thread.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...d-Micro-Cinema

Thanks for the link... despite reading what seems like 20 different forum threads here, there and everywhere I'd not seen these comments. Good to hear it successfully powers the micro... I've just managed to track down some stock in the UK and have a Small HD focus on its way from Pinewood arriving tomorrow. I'm going to see if it can power pocket if I can source the right adaptor and may possibly give in and buy a mciro before an upcoming shoot for a great setup... (You don't need profit to run a business right :-)...

Not that it's essential that it powers the camera as the monitor looks great anyway but it would make it all the better.
    A professional 2D / 3D animator with a passion for film.
    www.stormystudio.com

Hey guys and gals, itís time to resurrect this discussion. After a lot of research and a few small internet purchases, I have successfully made my own FOCUS to BMPCC Dummy Battery Adapter. Iím still working on a few issues but for the most part it works! In regards to battery life, with a cheap generic 750 battery I get around 83 minutes of runtime with the screen on the pocket set to 0. With a cheap generic 960 battery I get about 125 minutes of runtime with the screen on the pocket set to 0. The pocket would not stay powered on with a 550 battery.

Cable.JPG
    FocusAndPocket.JPG

Yeah the larger 970 batteries have a 6.6 amp draw where the smaller ones are 4 and potentially under if it's not a great battery.

So running both probably goes over the amp draw of your 550 battery. It's a shame they don't sell genuine smaller Sony np-f batteries anymore but I'm sure there are good quality after market ones out there.

I have a question for the focus owners, do you know the input limit of the focus? I want to run a dummy from a vmount into it but I'm not sure of the limit, I know it doesn't have a DC input though right?

Do you have to use a dummy battery to work with pocket? I thought in earlier discussions it was determined that the voltage would work through the power jack, just not enough to charge an internal battery. Curious as this looks like a great solution.

No dummy needed, you can go through the power input Ė if the voltage is high enough.

Has anyone tried powering the focus from a v-mount battery?

Looking to make a 12v setup for the micro since it runs a lot longer from a 12v source but I also want to use that 12v source to run the Focus. Does anyone know if the np-f plate takes 12v or am I going to have to find a dummy that steps down the voltage to 7.4?