Thread: Power Question For BMPCC / SmallHD Focus Monitor Combo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Power Question For BMPCC / SmallHD Focus Monitor Combo 
    Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a 5in monitor for my BMPCC. I see SmallHD is coming out with the Focus and I noticed on their site it says it has a 7.2v power output. Do anyone know if you can connect a cable from the Focus (or any 7.2v source) to the Pocket and augment the battery to get a longer runtime? I figured i would ask before spending money just to possibly be disappointed.

just tested and pocket will take 7.4 to power just like micro but it wont charge the internal battery so you should be able to run both if it can supply 7.4v to pocket

Thanks for doing the test! I'm ok with it not charging the battery. I'm just trying to get a longer run time then the 40 minutes i'm currently getting.

The Pocket is rated for 12v, so caution is advised here. Problems may not be immediately apparent, but occur after prolonged use of the wrong voltage.

internal pocket battery supplies 7.4v. Probably best to ask BM for confirmation of any damage if camera is supplied 7.4v through the 12v jack.

The camera has a DC to D.C. Power converter, which connects to the external 12-volt plug, which can accept about 14.5-7.4 VDC, from my tests with the Pocket camera, and BM confirmed this several years ago. 12VDC is the recommended input voltage. The lower the voltage, the more MAmps the camera will draw. So a 2000 MA 15 bstterymwill last longer than a 7.4 VDC 2000 MA battery run time wise. Conversely, a 14.5 VDC battery at the same amp rating will last longer yet. This is why most external camera batteries are 14.5 VDC (a 12VDC battery fully charged is actuall around 14 VDC).
    Cheers

thanks for the insight. I would assume this would carry over to the micro as well. currently shooting on both.

Quote Originally Posted by iammuc View Post
    thanks for the insight. I would assume this would carry over to the micro as well. currently shooting on both.
    I actually asked BM about this when i preordered Focus for my BMMCC. Qoute:

"There should be no issues running power via a 7.2v dummy battery source.
    The cameras external power is 12v but this separate from the battery power which should always be 7.2v"

Slightly off topic but keep in mind that for the micros, well at least the micro studio, that it NEEDS 7.2v. A fully charged battery may start at 8.4v and dwindle down to 6.0v before it's dies which is typical and adequate for most devices. For the micro however, as soon as the battery dips below 7.2v the camera is going to shut off even though there is still juice. I believe this behavior is why ALL BM cameras have such poor battery life. They're essentially only using the top half of the battery. I've been looking for a single battery solution for my micro monitor combo using a variety of Sony NP solutions and it's always the same result, the micro will shut off and the monitor will run for another hour.

I mention this because I have a regulated dummy battery from Small HD and the output it only 6.5v and it will not power a micro. As long as the output is regulated and maintains a constant 7.2v you should be good.

Hold up, which dummy battery? I don't see one fit for the bmpcc on their website. Am I wrong? My bmpcc's power jack is busted and it's really bumming me out. Anybody know a dummy situation, from smallhd or elsewhere?