Thread: My New Ursa Mini Pro - Tripod Advice

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Has anyone tried the new Manfrotto head?

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/04/2...head-nab-2017/
    I came here looking for experience with the Manfrotto Nitrotech N8, and turns out this post is the only one mentioning it on the entire forum.

I have ordered the head and will pick it up later today or early tomorrow, and put on my old sticks with only the flat base for now. (would love to get the Flowtech if you guys think that's sturdy enough, and put it on a bowl - or get different sticks with 100mm bowl..).

I'll use it with both my BMPCC and Ursa Mini 4.6

I have some experience with the Nitrotech N8 myself and I'd say it's quite robust for the price. I don't think you can get a head with a continuous counterbalance at a lower price. The payload capacity is great too, and I really like the top loading plate design. It's no Miller, Sachtler, or Vinten head, but it's still smooth enough, especially considering it's price.

I bought one.

OT but it's pretty funny if you look at it. Vitec Group owns, Sachtler, Vinten, Oconnor, Gitzo, and Manfrotto. They are grabbing new brands every day; Wooden Camera, SmallHD, Lowepro, Teradek, Paralinx. Do a google search for "Vitec Acquires" and you'll find they own a vast majority share of the support industry.

Howie, they also own Joby, Avenger, Offhollywood, Anton/Bauer, Autocue, Autoscript, Colorama, Lastolite, Litepanels, Camera Corps, National Geographic.
    They also bought Kata, Petrol Bags, RT Motion Systems, Tomcat USA, RF Central, Nucomm, Haigh-Farr, Inc. and killed those brands.

Vitec always bought at least two companies from the same field. I have no idea how they always get the ok from the Federal Trade Commission for their acquisitions.

I had the joy of testing the Nitrotech N8 with the Ursa Mini 4.6 this weekend. What a pleasure! Only downside was it became insanely slow/heavy to use even at -2 Celcius degrees.
    -2 degrees is nothing compared to what temperatures we can have during winter in Norway. But I'm not returning it.

Another downside is probably the variable 'brake'. I'm much more fond of steps, like had on some productions where I was hired to operate on their equipment.

Overall, like PeopleCanFly says; it's incredible value for the price.